Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How in the world do I get started with a tarp?

Hi guys,

I've spent tons of time reading threads upon threads here, watching videos on youtube, etc.. and I'm kind of ashamed to say that Im still mystified about tarps. Perhaps you guys can give me some specific answers?

I've got two hammocks (eno) that my daughter loves to hang around in. We're going camping in a few weeks and I'd love to bring the hammocks along. However, I'd really like to integrate a tarp setup into this. I don't need anything fancy. These will just be for car camping, but once i figure out what the heck I'm doing I'll likely put together a lightweight backpacking system. So really, I'm trying to establish a foundation upon which to go grow.

So... might you be able to help me understand what I should order, and then point me to some clear resources?

I was thinking of something affordable and replaceable like the Yukon Outfitter Walkabout Rainfly tarp, but maybe there's something better I should be looking at? Then... from there, a ridge line of some kind, hooks, knots, stakes, clips, flies, ties, bugs, beetles, slings, etc... I begin to get lost. I'm not really great with knots, so I'd love to find a system that didn't require too much knot tying. As of now, I just hang with atlas straps.

Any direction would be most appreciated.

-jon

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    i started with a cheap blue Walmart tarp and paracord. I ran a continuous ridge line under the tarp and use cheap carabiners to connect to the tarp. Look up Derrek Hanson's description of 'The Vee', i wont do it justice, but basically the line connects to one end of the tarp, around the tree, back thru the carabine used to connect, under the tarp to the other side, pass thru another carabiner, around the other tree, back to thus side's carabiner, center over hammock, pull tight and tie off.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Tarp rigging is something you can spend a ton of money on, but you really don't need to. You can pick up a variety of cheap stakes from Walmart (aluminum shepherd hooks are a lightweight and versatile choice). Nite-ize makes an excellent tarp kit that comes with 4 of their figure-9 line tensioners (knot-free and virtually idiot-proof) and reflective cord (slightly thicker than necessary, but VERY reflective)--you can usually pick that up for around $10, but I saw it on clearance at Field & Stream the other day for something like $5. You could even pick up 2 packs of those and use that for your ridgeline tie-outs as well, and have some spare cordage to boot. That'll serve you fine 'til you get bit by the Dutchware bug!
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    When all else fails, just ask Shug...
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    When all else fails, just ask Shug...
    Totally what Dutch said. Watch those videos over and over then it's all about practice. I find that some sort of bling for the ridgeline ties out saves my patience and knot fury for quick deployment. Guy's I just run regular 2.2 utility lines. By the time you wrap around a stake any of the available simple knots will do. Again after you've picked up whatever rig you want, practice, practice practice. Tarps are so functional you'll spend a lifetime learning the sweet sweet science of tarp art.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC 2017
    Suspension
    Straps & Cont Loop
    All of the above- to start out get the Nite-Ize kit and a 12'x16' tarp if you want to cover both hammocks hung with one common tree; or 10x12 for a single hang. For the 10x12 you'll need a tree to tree ridgeline, and 6 tie outs. Add two more tie outs for the 12x16 if you choose that route. Look at videos on how to do "porch mode" with sticks. Once you get a few trips under your belt check out the DutchWare bling. There are lots of asymmetrical summer tarps out there around the $100 price point. There are downloadable knot tutorials for your smart phone, main knots are Bowline, truckers hitch, larks head and figure 8. Enjoy! Show pics in a report and let us know how it turned out! (I learn something new every trip, that's part of what keeps me coming back!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    For car camping, I could easily say you don't need anything more than the Yukon or equivalent. However, you would likely appreciate at some point how much easier and tighter you can pitch a hex tarp with cat cut sides. A silnylon or silpoly one is going to save you a lot of weight and I would recommend that if you have an eye on backpacking. The more taut you can pitch a tarp, the less problems you'll have with the weight of rain and wind on the tarp.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    The Yukon outfitters walkabout rain fly is a decent tarp for the money. I've had mine for a couple years now and no complaints. I use it mainly for backyard naps, but that's 1-2 times a week. Or for my son when he go's out camping with me. Not the lightest tarp on the market, but good qaulity for the price.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    for my boy, i just hit up the local canadian tire (think target, walmart, whatever) and grabbed a 3mx2m tarp that had grommet'd tie outs (woods brand is the CT house brand)

it's nothing special, but it covers his 10ish foot hammock on the diagonal, so just need some paracord and 2 stakes, and gtg

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Howdy, jrm27. I'm a new hanger as well and I had concerns with tarps when I first started too. If you've never used any type of tarp before, go with what a couple of others have said: buy a decent sized blue tarp and some good cordage. You can use paracord if you need to, just get something that you can thread thru the grommets and tie knots into. Also, get 4-6 stakes. After that, all that's left is standing between two trees and try out all the different styles that are out there, and Shugs tarp series is a great place to start. You can't really learn it looking at a screen, just get out and hang one up and see what you're comfortable with. After you've been out a bit, you'll learn the tieouts and ridge line you like, and you can get the tarp and cord that reflects what works for you.

Happy hanging, and good luck to you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast