Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    That "down eductor" method looks workable. I usually just do it outside in the yard, which winds up looking like a chicken haul train wreck for a couple of days, although the neighbors have gotten used to it.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    That "down eductor" method looks workable. I usually just do it outside in the yard, which winds up looking like a chicken haul train wreck for a couple of days, although the neighbors have gotten used to it.
    LOL. I did my first down harvesting project out in the back yard. It looked liked a chicken crime scene for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Christo456 View Post
    I've been trying to come up with a better way to fill down quilts and wondered if anyone has been down this road before I spent way too many hours trying to engineer something like china manufacturer.

I'm thinking of rigging an old computer fan between 2 pieces of pvc pipe and make a "blow through" designed vacuume to pull down from a comforter, pillow or whatever and blow it into the baffles of a quilt.

Any thoughts or experience trying this before? After one experience of making a complete mess hand stuffing there has to be a better way.
    Anyone purchased a liquid filling machine ? What is best type for lotions ? I was looking at the ones on ebay with manual operation for about $300

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Reading over these posts, I think HoosierT is the one I believe. His experience seems to be closest to mine - using an old Electrolux vacuum cleaner and filling the wand with down from a bag on a scale, then transferring it to where it's needed with a homemade piston. The key is to have a scale that measures tenths of grams. As the wand fills up, the suction gets less, so you do need to use your fingers to push small clumps of down into the tube. This is a process I've used over and over. After each batch of down is transferred, the vacuum cleaner wand is handy to suck any floaters out of the air, before being refilled from the bag. It's a relatively neat method.
    Last edited by WV; 12-18-2023 at 20:18.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Ive tried the "down eductor" method a few times. I never got it to work for me. Wv's method works well, or in a pinch you can eyeball it and carefully add handfulls of down into each chamber until they look right. Not very sophisticated, but it works!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123