Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling

Isle Royale National Park: Hang report, June 3-9, 2017

Here are the new hammocking rules for Isle Royale National Park, quoted directly from their 2017 “Greenstone” newsletter, which can be downloaded from the park’s website:

“Hammocks: In campgrounds, hammocks may only be used within the existing
    impacted area of designated campsites – not in the surrounding trees or vegetation.
    Hammocks may not be erected at shelter sites or within shelters. Appropriate hammock locations may not be available; plan on bringing a tent. Choose trees with care; many cannot support a hammock. Hammock use must not damage trees.”

Even before these new rules, there have been some questions regarding the hammock suitability of Isle Royale. I therefore took notes during my solo hike from Rock Harbor to Windigo, June 3-9, 2017.

The Executive Summary: I was able to hang every night at Isle Royale, while following the rules. In general, at most of the campgrounds, some but not all of the individual tentsites were suitable for one hammock. Fewer would work for two, and very few for more than two hammocks.

The details:

3-Mile: there are four individual campsites, numbered 6,7,8, & 9. Site #6 was occupied, and I did not want to intrude. But I looked at 7,8, & 9: Site #7 is OK for one hammock, site #8 is OK, but one might have to tie back a branch. Site #9 is dubious for hammocks.

Daisy Farm: I did not stay here, but just passed thru. I looked at four of the six ind. tentsites. Sites #15 and 17 are very good for a hammock. Sites 16 & 18 are OK.

Moskey Basin: an excellent campground, but only two ind. tentsites. Both are good for a hammock.

Chippewa Harbor: I only stopped here for lunch. Neither of the two ind. tentsites are particularly good for hammocks, but this is a gray area. At each site, one could hang one hammock on the approach trail, just a few feet away from the actual tentpad. This would not block anyone’s access to a different site, and it would not trample untrampled ground. I think this would follow the spirit of the park rules, if perhaps not the letter. I don’t know if a ranger would agree.

Lake Ritchie: four ind. sites: #1,2,&3 are good for hammocks (#2 is best; I stayed there). Site #4: no.

W. Chickenbone Lake: Sites #1 and 6 are excellent, could fit several hammocks. But they also have the best lake views, and would fill up first. Sites. 2 & 4: OK for one hammock. Sites 3 & 5: no.

McCargoe Cove: all three ind. tentsites are good for one hammock; some might accommodate two.

Todd Harbor: my favorite campground on the island. Ind. sites #1 & #6 are good, site #5 is OK for a hammock. Site #2: no. I stayed at site #4, which is the best hammock site I found on the island. It could fit several hammocks, has great harbor views, and best of all, has rather uneven ground and large tree roots to scare off the tent people.

Hatchet Lake: perhaps the poorest campground for hammocks. Sites #1,2,& 4: no. Site #3 could fit one hammock (but warning: it uses a birch tree).

Desor South: Sites #1 & 2 : OK for one hammock. Sites #3 & 4: no.

Washington Creek: there are five ind. sites: #2 & #6 are OK; #12 is OK, maybe fit two hammocks. Sites #5 and #11: no.

Summary: I was able to hang every night, at the following campgrounds: 3-Mile, Moskey Basin, Lake Ritchie, Todd Harbor, Desor S., Washington Creek. I had a small inflatable pad (Klymit X-lite, ~7 oz.) as a go-to-ground backup, but never used it. It was a great trip, with mostly good weather, 3 moose, nice views (esp. the McCargoe to Todd Harbor section), and strenuous, rocky trails. The rocks on the east end of the island are the main reason my feet chose not to try the Minong; that’s why I switched to the Greenstone after Todd Harbor). Overall, I think Isle Royale is perfectly hammock suitable for a solo hanger, although one must be prepared to go to ground. Two hangers would have a somewhat harder time, unless they could share the same set of trees. More than that would rarely work; Isle Royale is really not suitable for a group hang.

Caveats: I was there rather early season, and I typically get an early start each morning and reach my destination by mid-afternoon. If you go there peak season, or like to sleep late, you may find more competition for tentsites. On average, I found only about one tentsite other than mine filled each night. It seems like the shelters are more popular than the tentsites; I don’t know why.

Another caveat: One has to be a little more flexible with trees than in many places. My ideal tree distance for my Dutch 11-foot netless with whoopie sling suspension is about 15 feet; I can go shorter (maybe ~11-12 feet?) by using a becket hitch to replace one or both whoopies, but I never did on this trip. I did go long, perhaps to ~20 feet, resulting in a low hang (perfectly comfortable, but awkward to get in and out). Also, I did a couple times have to hang from birch trees, which I usually try to avoid. But these were healthy and sturdy.

Hope this post helps anyone thinking about Isle Royale.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Right good intel. Thankee for that.
    Glad you had a fine time out there.
    Whoooooo Buddy)))))