From Hummingbird to BIAS WW Micro - first backpacking hammock

My very first hammock was a huge cottons string Yucatan affair, a couple of decades ago, used occasionally for day use until some threads broke and holes opened up.

About a month ago I spied a poly hammock in Costco - brought it home and loved it, but it's way heavy with the suspension it comes with. It is so comfortable just hanging and swaying, looking up at the sky!!! I gotta have more of that experience.

I wanted a light hammock to take on day hikes (ehem, that would be walks), and backpacking camping trips if only to relax in during the day. I had decided on the Hummingbird Single (it's 8'8" long, I am 5'5" and figured it would be just fine for me) as it weighs about 5 oz. and the suspension another 3 oz. or so, but the suspension is on backorder (was when I ordered it anyway, later cancelled the order because I am impatient).

So I researched a little more and ended up ordering a BIAS Weenie Weight Micro 6 oz. (11' long, 52" wide) since it was only 1 oz. more than the Hummingbird Single. I think if I ever decide to use it for sleeping it might be more comfortable because of the length, or if I want to let someone taller than me try it out, etc. I thought 11' might be more useful. Who knows, maybe I'll give it to my son (when I get a Chameleon).

The suspension I went with is Dutchware blue Dyneema tree straps, Ti toggles (I may not even need if I use a Becket knot? maybe I'll make earrings out of em), and a pair of whoopie slings with Dutch hooks. When I get some more $$ I'd like to add a Dutchware summer sock (half net, half windblock and rotatable according to weather conditions).

Next trip is up the Palm Springs tramway to Mt. San Jacinto for a couple nights in July. I'm hoping to have received the new hammock and practice setting it up before then so I can confidently take it along.
    Last edited by Rosomane; 06-11-2017 at 14:48.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Good choice, you'll be much happier with a longer hammock for all the reasons you mentioned. The Hummingbird sounds painfully short!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    My ENO's are 9.5 ft long and many say it is too short to get the proper diagonal lay to sleep flat without calf ridge and shoulder squeeze. I find it good for me (HYOH), but many say 11ft is the length to go. 8.8 does seem too short even to me, though. Hop you enjoy the longer hammock.

As it turned out, I got the Hummingbird anyway and curiosity got the better of me so I opened it up and I decided to keep it. Set it up this weekend (about 100 deg. heat wave we're having, not much else to do but hang...) and surprisingly it's really comfortable! I get a flat lay, and no excess fabric to deal with. I am really liking this hammock but then I haven't tried sleeping all night in it, just lounging and napping. The only thing I have to compare it to is the Chillax poly hammock I got from Costco. But, the BIAS WW Micro should be here any day now. The HB tree straps creek when load is applied, I'm wondering if that's the nature of nylon being noisy like that? The only semi-complaint I might make is the stuff sack is not the same fabric color/dye lot as the hammock and the color difference is noticeable, but I can live with that since it's only cosmetic. I got Forest green and it's a subtle, blend-in color that could easily have been named Agave, Spruce, Pine....Looks really nice in my yard.

Well, well. I tried. It was really relaxing by day at camp but with the UQ, top quilt & pillow I just couldn't get comfortable. Seemed like everything including me kept slipping to the center of the hammock (could've been the hang too contributing). It's too narrow, my quilt and pillow kept spilling out onto the ground. No shelf, storage of any kind didn't work for me either.

It will be my day hike hammock to rest. Hopefully the 11' one will be better. And then I have my eye on a Chameleon....

I just got back from San Jacinto and tried out the BIAS WW Micro - I am pleased to report I slept very well at 9,000' cozy as can be. I used the DutchWare summer bugnet with weathershield which was handy to black out the moonlight whilst I was trying to go to sleep, it kept me warm too. So the Hummingbird will be my day hike hammock for relaxing and the BIAS WWM is my camping hammock.

• + New Posts