The Skyloft and back pain

Hey all,

I wanted to try out some different hammocks, and became very interested in the ENO Skyloft. I loved the look of it, and most reviews are positive.

It feels pretty comfortable to lie in. I like a stiff surface to lie on...or at least I thought I did.

But I used it for one night and woke up with bad back and shoulder discomfort. I thought maybe I had pulled the ends too tightly, so I loosened it up a bit to let it sag more like my gathered end hammock. Still woke up the next morning with pain, but I'm not sure if it was new pain or just lingering pain from the previous night.

Decided to sleep in my old gathered end hammock the next night, and woke up feeling noticeably better--not perfect, but better.

I'm fully aware the problem could be my doing, either how I set it up or how I slept, but I wanted to ask if anyone had had similar experiences with the Skyloft. I really, really wanted to like this one, so if anyone had any advice for sleeping comfortably in this that I somehow may not have considered, that would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Always_Tired; 12-09-2023 at 09:49. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Always_Tired,

It would help to know your size (how tall) and the physical size of the Skyloft, or the size of your old GE, compared to the Skyloft.

Though many start with Hennessy and ENO hammocks, I consider them middle-tier; a step up from the Amazon/big box store (Big 5, etc.) cheapies, but not "full-sized" like the 11-footers usually found from the cottage industry folks here. That said, if you are my size (middle-tier ), one of those smaller hammocks is "full size". So it's not that a hammock is inherently uncomfortable, it's the hammock/sleeper pair.

If possible, instead of trying full night exposure, maybe short naps - reading time - would allow for a break-in period. That way, when discomfort appears, you could more readily locate its point of origin and decide how to remedy it.

I wish I could assist more, but most my "improvements" have had to do with knee pressure/calf ridge; not shoulders/back.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I prefer gathered end hammocks at a minimum length of ELEVEN feet.
    Cottage vendors make hammocks 11 and 12 feet long. These hammocks are more comfortable for all night sleeping.
    ENO and ENO knockoffs sold in big box stores, are extremely short. In my opinion, they are great for lounging—but not so good for overnight sleeping.

Recently I went to REI, a great camping store.
    All but one of hammock brands offered were extremely short hammocks.
    REI did have one brand of hammock listed at ELEVEN feet long.
    Thank you REI !!!!

Short hammocks are sold in big box stores.
    They are less than comfortable for all night sleeping.
    Also these hammocks are sold without insulation!
    And they are sold without tarps that would be suitable for shelter from rain.

How many people, initially attracted to hammocks, have had such a miserable experience in their first overnight camp, even in summer weather, have decided to never camp overnight in their hammock again.

I think I’ve seen some insulation options sold in some camping stores, to compliment their hammock offers.

Good luck hammock campers!
    All the above is just my opinion.
    And to be fair, hammock length can be proportional to camper’s height—So a very short person might be better able to tolerate a very short hammock for overnight sleeping.
    Your Mileage May Vary!!!

• + New Posts