Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I think almost all the members who have been on this site for a while, started with an ENO. Some still have one tucked away.

ENO was a Gateway for us. Camping was painful for me, I had to load up on pain meds, morning was agony. We made a trip to the coast, I went into a local Hunter/Fisher person huge store, really hard core outdoorsman type stuff, almost women not welcome. I found the ENO display. I bought two DN and three sets of straps. The ENOs were really inexpensive, around $15.00 USD. Each set of straps $8.00 US. Might have been less, cant remember exactly. I think we paid wholesale price.

I liked my ENO, I moved on because I wanted a enclosed bug net.

We started Hanging in 2005 or there about. I accidently found this site, have been lurking and posting off and on since then.

Now there are a lot of choices, more new vendors are coming on with each season change.

When I had a problem with my ENO, the company was very helpful. I really appreciated how they handled my complaint.

I like ENO, I just matured in what I need to hang the way I like best.

I actually didn't get started with an Eno - but my Grand Trunk wasn't much different! I hated the seams that are needed to have the two toned effect, so I'v never considered an Eno, but my brother sleeps in his little singlenest all the time! No hate here, I just know the seams of that style aren't for me (although they do look pretty).

I am deep in gateway stages. I still have my ENO DN as the core with the ProFly Tarp, Guardian Bug Net, Talon Ridgeline, & Underbelly Gear Sling (yes, REI's initial embrace of ENO has had an impact). It worked great at Flaming Gorge last year (apart from 4am FBS). This year, I added a 20 degree underquilt from Outdoor Vitals and am loving it. Yes, ENO has done so much to promote this form of camping - thank god for that. Anyone want to buy a barely used REI Quarter Dome & Footprint? :-)

Hammock
    DIY 10.5 Hexon 1.6 w/ net
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I haven't used mine since I broke out the sewing machine and discovered dutchware.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, BBXLC, HH Expedition
    Tarp
    SLD WH / SMR Nube
    Insulation
    HG Inc/Burrow
    Suspension
    SMR EZslings
    I still own 2 ENOs, and they both still get some use. Sure, I have other hammocks like my Dream Hammock Sparrow, Warbonnet BB XLC, Hennessy, etc. each has its own use for me. For instance, I have an Olive/khaki singleness that stays with me in my 72 hour bag. I use it when flying milair, as some flights I take push a full 24 hours. The little single nest doesn't take up much room on a C17, where space is typically at a premium when you have 3-4 teams and all their gear. I can string it up between our gear and someone with a ground pad can sleep under me. Works great for that, and also pulls double duty as an emergency shelter for me. My first trip to Vietnam I had my Hennessy in my gear box, ready to head off the mountain after 2 months of work. Helo heads down for its first trip, with mostly cargo. When it comes up for the second load, weather comes in and we dont see it again for 3 days. Luckily, I had my little backup hammock in my 72hr bag. While other were sleeping on the ground with the bugs and snakes, I was hanging in comfort!
    I also have a jungle nest, which despite the fact I absolutely hate the bug net on that thing, alsways seems to find its way on camping or beach trips. It's a pretty comfy little thing, and the kids have pretty much claimed it I think. Anyways, Despite owning some really nice setups, I still have and show love for ENO.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Insulation
    down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm still using my ENO DoubleNest. The length isn't a issue for me as I'm only 5' tall. With the adjust ability of Whoopie Slings I can get a pretty good comfortable lay. Actually using it now for year round indoor hanging. I've been thinking of upgrading, though, just because I've had the same hammock for 5 years now. Until recently it's only seen occasional camping use over the past couple of years, but the poor thing has still about had it. Got a small hole that's trying to become a run kinda like pantyhose do. I've been debating on just getting a new ENO, just because I know it works for me, and I love my ENO, or venturing on to try something new.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    HQ Incub. 20
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    ENO was my gateway as well, last year and into this season. Great for getting folks to look into hammocking and learning thanks to their market placement. Though I will admit I've been saving up what's leftover from the weekly allowance I allow myself, $60/week and the rest goes to the wife for bills, to get a newer, lighter hammock and tarp. Looking to switch over to the war bonnet BB and a HG Quest tarp. Shaves almost a pound off my base, not counting lines and hardware.

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    I have never been in an Eno Hammock. However my HouseFly has is every bit as good as my SuperFly. I also have an Ember 2 which has taken me into seriously cold weather and last my Eno Atlas Straps seem bomb proof. I have no issue with ENO at all! I don't see them or us as a dying breed. In fact I see their product in more and more camping stores so they win on accessibility.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I don't think folks here eschew ENO for being non-functional as a hammock. It's gonna hold you, and you can fall asleep in it. But what many of us have realized is that while you can camp with them, they are a little short, heavier, and more expensive for what they are- compared to many cottage vendor options. For example, an ENO Singlenest costs $60, usually. And it does not include a suspension. By contrast, you can pick up a Warbonnet Traveler XL for $65, and it includes a full webbing and cinch buckle suspension. It's a longer and lighter hammock- which will be more comfortable for the vast majority of folks looking to camp in a hammock.

I won't knock companies like ENO or Grand Trunk for their products, marketing, and availability. Because if it wasn't for those types of companies, I never would have discovered companies like Dream Hammock, Warbonnet, Dutchware, etc...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Wildhorn Outfitters 2
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    I'm 6'1,240# and I still use my Eno a lot for naps or just to relax and still enjoy it even if I own several so-called top shelf hammocks. I wouldn't stuff it in my pack for a long hike but that's also true of Amok, Clark NX and even my BBXLC.. For hiking my go to is a Wildhorn Outfitters 11', 6'6'' wide camo hammock .
    6' and 215, but I'd mirror everything else you said.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast