Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Why not start at the southern entrance to the Smokies and go. There's a nice trail head at Fontana Dam and you can go from there.
    Fontana is the southwest side.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Fontana is the southwest side.
    True but the park is elongated so it's the southern end in my mind. None the less it's still Fontana.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    True but the park is elongated so it's the southern end in my mind. None the less it's still Fontana.
    It is the southern end of the AT. Nothing wrong with that, but it isn't the southeast. This time of year, that is a hot and steep climb. The rest of the year, it's just a steep climb.
    Hard to go wrong on the Carolina side of the Smokies for backpacking, but I'd try to get away from the lower lake and stay over 3500' as much as I could this time of year.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    It is the southern end of the AT. Nothing wrong with that, but it isn't the southeast. This time of year, that is a hot and steep climb. The rest of the year, it's just a steep climb.
    Hard to go wrong on the Carolina side of the Smokies for backpacking, but I'd try to get away from the lower lake and stay over 3500' as much as I could this time of year.
    I could agree more with this being too hot this time of year at least for me. Any of the trails that originate around Clingmans Dome would be a better choice now that summer temps have arrived.
    This site will give you a good idea of the temps at various elevations in the area.
    https://www.mountain-forecast.com/pe...forecasts/2025

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    I could agree more with this being too hot this time of year at least for me. Any of the trails that originate around Clingmans Dome would be a better choice now that summer temps have arrived.
    This site will give you a good idea of the temps at various elevations in the area.
    https://www.mountain-forecast.com/pe...forecasts/2025
    I'm coming from the GA lowcountry, which is a horrible sweltering swamp that time of year. Anything will be an improvement and I'm actually wondering if I will need to bring a UQ because the weather says lows in the 60's and I sleep cold. Not looking to do major uphills, so thinking about Big Creek or Deep Creek with a leisurely 10mi/day or thereabouts. I've got neuroma in both feet so I can't do too much. Wish the camping wasn't quite so proscribed but I get why they have to do it that way.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laracrofty View Post
    I'm coming from the GA lowcountry, which is a horrible sweltering swamp that time of year. Anything will be an improvement and I'm actually wondering if I will need to bring a UQ because the weather says lows in the 60's and I sleep cold. Not looking to do major uphills, so thinking about Big Creek or Deep Creek with a leisurely 10mi/day or thereabouts. I've got neuroma in both feet so I can't do too much. Wish the camping wasn't quite so proscribed but I get why they have to do it that way.
    Yes you will need an under quilt if the temps are getting into the 60's. Be sure to let us know how the trip goes for you.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Yes you will need an under quilt if the temps are getting into the 60's. Be sure to let us know how the trip goes for you.
    Will do! I have a HG 20° quilt which has always worked wonderfully. Got the trail guidebook and a giant map as someone thoughtfully recommended. I actually have a friend from Portland joining me now, and I'm thrilled to have company! We're both comfortable with about 10mi/day. Trying to convince her to borrow a hammock setup for the trip

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12