Clark NX200
    Tarp
    Clark RX200
    Insulation
    in process
    Suspension
    Bone stock Clark

Serious about snow

I have a Clark NX-200 . . . before the snow season is out, I really want to camp in it. Mind ya, I live in MN . .. the only reason I haven't gone out is that it is too cold for snowfall. I want snow to fall on my setup and I want to do some photgraphy with fresh and/or falling snow . . . the light dusting from three days ago won't do! I want to take my Clark out in a serious snow.

Before I do, what should I know (about staying warm, so I don't take a perminap) I have only been a Hamock Camper since midsummer, so the rules of hamock camping are entirely new vs. the ground. Any Z-liner users have reports back yet? Thoughts on including a survival blanket such as
    ?

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    You're going need more than just the hammock and the survival blanket for sure if you are planning on spending the night sleeping in it. Since you seem to be in a hurry do to the weather, I would suggest for someone switching from tent camping to use a sleeping bag and mattress pad for insulation, which you probably already own from your tent days.

So what other gear do you have for warmth? Sleeping bag? wool blanket? Closed Cell Foam pad?

Are you willing to buy extra gear to make your winter kit better?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Seems to me that the cold will be more of an issue than snow. I recently slept with plenty of snow on the ground but only a 2" overnnight accumulation. The tarp was pitched at a moderate angle and still held little snow. My NX 250 has velcro strips at each end which encloses the ends pretty well allowing the tarp to hang nearly straight down. (not sure about the 200) I would imagine any reasonable amount of snowfall would have no effect on the tarp in that mode.

I had to secure the tarp guylines by digging a narrow trench, inserting a short piece of tree branch and running the line around the branch and back to the line itself. BTW....a shovel was useless....ice ax was priceless.

For warmth I used a homemade UQ, 25" wide Thermarest and a Wally World pad running crossways to protect my shoulders. I slept in a zero degree bag. I was totally comfortable in 15-20 degree temps. I've been as low as 11 in the same mode. I'm sure I could go lower with a better bag. You didn't mention actual temps you expect but from what I've heard of MN, you guys are in a different league altogether. Perhaps Shug will chime in.

I will say the Clark weathershield is a blessing in the cold and snow. I felt no wind and the snow was totally blocked out. The NX 250 is the real deal when winter camping.

In sum I think you'll be fine in the snow as long as you can stay warm.

The pic with some snow on the tarp was taken shortly after the snow had begun to fall just before going to bed. It looked roughly the same in the morning.

My only complaint about this winter camping experience was the fact that fires were not allowed in that area of the Adirondacks. Coming back to camp sweaty after a hike and not being able to build a fire did not rank high on my list of fun things to do.

Good luck and stay warm, Miguel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Miguel; 02-22-2010 at 09:36.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle

NX-200 in the Snow

Here are some pics of my NX-200 in the Snow Feb. '09 in ALABAMA!!!!!!! The photo on the left is of my NX as it appears on the Clark website. The photo on the right shows another forum members hammok on the left and my NX on the right, this photo was taken from covered bluff shelter while we were having breakfast that morning.

I had a SIAM in the hammok and a 40*F bag in the hammock that night and was quite warm in a fleece jacket, long sleeve T, rain pants and too pair of socks. I hope this will help you out in the cold.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Clark NX200
    Tarp
    Clark RX200
    Insulation
    in process
    Suspension
    Bone stock Clark
    I have returned!

Didn't get a pic of the sight in the day light

Now that my winter hang virginity is gone, I will definitely be interested in buying some things to make it more comfortable. Snow shoes woulda been very helpful. I was warm enough while I was sleeping & didn't have an emergency blanket, just my Coleman sleeping bag, a fleece bag liner, Frogg Tog jacket (I definetly need another pair of the pants), long johns and a flannel. I would not have made it without a fire. The low was around 0 F. What I did miss was water. I overcooked my coffee burnt it crusty & so melting more snow was out (forgot to pack the means to wash dishes) So it was the lack of viable water that brought me home after just one night.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    sounds like a good winters hang.i have the clark na and have been sleeping out in it 6 weekends this year.temps usaully down to around 10deg.for insiulation i stuff the clarks pockets full of,my pants wool flannel,sweater hats mittens,extra boot liner,socks every thing i have.i use a -20 deg bag.sometimes a 30 deg bag with a fleece blanket.i dress in lite weight long underwear,,wool socks,sweater,and hat.i unzip the net and weather shield so it lays flat on my chest and my head is outside.if i think it is going to be really cold i button my jacket around my feet.

i normally wake up sweating.last weekend down to 10degf i wore no socks,slept 9 hours woke up warm as can be.
    i use enamalwear pots(the blue ones)if they burn i throw them in the coals.a good hardwood fire will burn everything of them like a self cleaning oven.bet stainless would work to.
    keep getting out
    hangin warm bill

• + New Posts