Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Hammock Suggestions for a Summer Camp

Hey folks,

I figured I would ask the experts on this. I've started work at a summer camp, and they are installing a "hammock village" on camp for campers to hang out in during the day. The location has been chosen, and next week a crew is coming in to sink posts in.

The camp is thinking about using ENO doublenest hammocks, which run around $50 per hammock.

The hammocks wouldn't be slept in overnight, but would be used during the day to hang out in. I imagine they will receive a fair amount of abuse, probably more than an average hammock, and while we can set rules against multiple people in them, I would expect that at some point two or three kids aged 8-16 will try and climb in them.

I'm trying to pitch a cheaper hammock to save money for camp. Does anyone have a cheaper suggestion than the doublenest that wouldn't sacrifice quality, weight rating, and durability?

Also, if you were sinking posts into the ground for such a hammock village, how far would you put the posts apart from one another? This is assuming that we don't use additional webbing, just hook up the hammocks without a tarp or bugnet.

Thank you for any advice!

Slightly above your budget but if you send them an email explaining what you want they will probably lower price.
    Hobo Hammocks. I have heard great things about their gear, no bugnet and very resistant. (And one hammock = 1 meal for the homeless).

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Hammock
    WBBB XCL SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    DD hammocks are robust just to add another in the mix

Quote Originally Posted by DanversPort View Post
    Hey folks,

I figured I would ask the experts on this. I've started work at a summer camp, and they are installing a "hammock village" on camp for campers to hang out in during the day. The location has been chosen, and next week a crew is coming in to sink posts in.

The camp is thinking about using ENO doublenest hammocks, which run around $50 per hammock.

The hammocks wouldn't be slept in overnight, but would be used during the day to hang out in. I imagine they will receive a fair amount of abuse, probably more than an average hammock, and while we can set rules against multiple people in them, I would expect that at some point two or three kids aged 8-16 will try and climb in them.

I'm trying to pitch a cheaper hammock to save money for camp. Does anyone have a cheaper suggestion than the doublenest that wouldn't sacrifice quality, weight rating, and durability?

Also, if you were sinking posts into the ground for such a hammock village, how far would you put the posts apart from one another? This is assuming that we don't use additional webbing, just hook up the hammocks without a tarp or bugnet.

Thank you for any advice!
    I own an Eno Double nest and a TexSport Rambler Double. Both are rated for 400 pounds, same thickness of ripstop nylon fabric. Durability appears to be the same. My kids ages 11 and 14 play (very roughly at times) in them with their friends with no signs of wear or damage. I find the TexSport to be more roomy and and comfortable than the ENO and a lot more budget friendly. Hope this helps. Available at http://www.texsport.net/hammocks/ram...pack-of-6.html. 6 pack for $95, that's about 16 bucks each.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The Texsport combo pack seems really excellent. We'd probably get two packs of those and have it cost less than 4 ENO's! I suggested it to the director.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the hammock hang calculator at http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/ For post spacing...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Someone must remember how to find the post that shows hammocks hanging like a giant spoked wheel -- you could decrease the number of posts with that idea...

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Someone must remember how to find the post that shows hammocks hanging like a giant spoked wheel -- you could decrease the number of posts with that idea...
    P-Dub is right. 6 equilateral triangles arranged in a circle would give you 12 locations to hang... After you determine your optimal span, simply use that same distance from the center out and from post to post at the circumference. I apologize for the crude drawing, but it demonstrates the concept. I suspect you would want to be about 10 or 11 feet between posts at 6 or 7 feet tall.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy Joshie View Post
    I apologize for the crude drawing...
    I've spent my career turning engineer's sketches into viable blueprints, I wish everyone could draw as crudely as you!

Hammock
    DIY Black Mamba or Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY Hex or WB Edge
    Insulation
    BanditTQ PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I wonder if it would make sense for you to install fixed length dog bones made of amsteel (1-2ft. in length) on each end of the hammocks so you have flexibility later on for someone to string up their own hammock. I recognized this may be quite a bit of extra work, BUT equipment may change over time. Not being locked into one manufacturers design and having the flexibility to adjust accordingly down the road may prove useful. Just a thought. Sounds like an awesome project for the kids!

amsteel-blue-products021.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast