Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DD Camping hammock mods

Hi everyone,
    I recently bought myself a DD camping hammock and will be using it on a three month cycling tour of Europe for wild/stealth camping. I also bought myself a DD tarp for protection fron the rain and wind. I just want clarification on what modifications are necessary/beneficial for this trip.

The first issue is suspension. I currently use the normal webbing from DD coupled with some paracord drip lines (that always seem to fall off). Is that adequate? Will it stop the rain from running down into my hammock? I don't understand why other people change to whoopie slings and tree straps, the weight savings are minimal, and the setup time is not that much better. Is there something I am forgetting here? Otherwise it just seems like a waste of money.

Another problem with the DD hammock is that it is to small to lie diagonally. So, would it be better if I string it up tighter (as most YouTube videos suggest)? If yes, will it negatively affect the suspension systems load capacity?

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman98 View Post
    The first issue is suspension. I currently use the normal webbing from DD coupled with some paracord drip lines (that always seem to fall off). Is that adequate? Will it stop the rain from running down into my hammock? I don't understand why other people change to whoopie slings and tree straps, the weight savings are minimal, and the setup time is not that much better. Is there something I am forgetting here? Otherwise it just seems like a waste of money.
    You don't need to exchange the suspension if you're happy with it. I'm not sure, though, who well drip lines will work on the DD strap. To me they look like they would soak up water pretty well - which on its own would be enough reason for me to exchange the suspension. Maybe do a test: hang the hammock with drip lines and start soaking the suspension. Better to find out before your trip.

Personally, I don't like the DD webbing suspension for several reasons. It's heavy. It's short. It's not easy to set up, to adjust and to take down. The webbing catches on rough surfaces (like bark...). And you can't take off the suspension quickly if it's dirty or wet and you don't want to pack it together with your hammock. I imagine the only reason why DD is selling it is, because it's dirty cheap (compared with more high-end suspensions).

Another problem with the DD hammock is that it is to small to lie diagonally. So, would it be better if I string it up tighter (as most YouTube videos suggest)? If yes, will it negatively affect the suspension systems load capacity?
    You already found out that DD hammocks are too short and too narrow to lie diagonally. For me, the only way to make it bearable was to string it up tight. Since the hammock is built for that kind of treatment, it should hold the weight. DD hammocks are far from lightweight. A single layer hammock made from 1.0oz ripstop would probably fail, but DD is using very thick and heavy fabrics. Unfortunately, it will be a lot of stress for the trees. Which is another point for exchanging the suspension. If you do, get some wide tree straps. The minimum width should be 25mm - but the wider, the better for the tree. Especially when you're putting that much force on it.

Hammock
    WBBB XCL SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Exactly what Hutz said. The webbing is heavy, short, effort to a adjust, will soak up any water and you wouldn't want to pack it with your hammock if it's wet.

My girlfriend has the frontline and gets on with it quite well, with the exception of shoulder squeeze here and there and she's only 5ft 4.

She has continuous loops with her whoopies attached using carabiners, which works as a drip line. Her whoopies are then attached to her tree straps using the marlin spike hitch.

She's using the DD tarp also. We've found the diamond config to be too long so now we just use the A frame which is perfect! We run the ridgeline under the tarp so you have attachment points for the suspended netting. The ridgeline is dyneema not paracord! It doesn't absorb water like paracord so it's perfect for her.

I'll try and get some close up pictures when we next get out for you

Thanks for the advice. I did a drip test and the suspension did get soaked through after about 15 minutes of running it under the tap. Now I am looking for a way to upgrade my suspension. Would anyone know where to find a whoopie sling system that is not too expensive in Europe? I looked on the DD hammock website and it costs about €45 for whoopie sling and tree huggers! That's way out of my budget. Or maybe there is another way to upgrade my suspension without burning a hole in my pocket?

Thanks again for the replies so far.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    What is your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    What is your budget?
    For the moment €10-15

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    For Whoopies and webbing? That's tough. You will need to splice the Whoopies and sew the webbing yourself. The money might just about cover the raw materials plus shipping.

If you're interested, the German hammock forums will be having a hang-out in 2 weeks. I will be showing how to splice the most important gear for those interested. And Dendronaut will be there, too. I think he'll bring some Amsteel and Dutch bling to sell. If you have the time, it would be well worth dropping by.

That's not to far from where I live. Do I have to sign up, do I just show up?

I also wanted to ask if tying a knot into the webbing will prevent the soaking of the straps? So basically knot both peaces of webbing together, then add a drip line in front to take care of the running water

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    That's not to far from where I live. Do I have to sign up, do I just show up?
    If you want to stay the night, you definitely have to sign up. I don't know if you can just drop by for an hour or so without signing up - you would have to contact the organizers and ask. It's well worth staying a bit longer, though, because there are so many hammocks to see and try. The people are really nice, and every time I have gone there, I have learned a lot of new things. Most people stay the whole 4 days, but always feel that it has been too short in the end

I also wanted to ask if tying a knot into the webbing will prevent the soaking of the straps? So basically knot both peaces of webbing together, then add a drip line in front to take care of the running water
    I don't think so. Here is an article Derek wrote on the topic: Hammock Water Breaks and Drip Lines.

If in doubt, try it out, though

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast