Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Well done!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Have you looked into connecting the four bottom corners, creating a rectangle base to allow you to create anchor points along the pipe? I was thinking it might be better than using weights, but maybe it's just a high enough cost to not justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Awesome!!!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    That is very nice! I have made two similar stands, one from 1 1/4" GALV pipe, and the other using 1" GALV image.jpgpipe.
    Both are sufficient, but the 1" is definitely a little on the spindly side. I do like it though since it is much lighter. The kee clamps would be great, but I have had no trouble fastening either strap or rope suspension to the smooth uprights by using several wraps around the pipe. On the strap suspension, I just wrap it two or three times and clip the carabiner over it...so far so good. I really like the 7 foot height of your stand, and may extend my by a foot. Mine are bothe 6 foot, which is just adequate (my stands widths are 12 & 14.5 feet)...an extra foot would would allow me to pitch my tarp higher.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst/WBMJ
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx/Wooki
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller View Post
    Have you looked into connecting the four bottom corners, creating a rectangle base to allow you to create anchor points along the pipe? I was thinking it might be better than using weights, but maybe it's just a high enough cost to not justify it.

I thought about connecting the corners, but doing so might make the base too flat to sit on uneven ground (like my backyard!). It would certainly make for a very rigid structure, however, so if you have a flat surface to put it on I'm sure it would work great.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst/WBMJ
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx/Wooki
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Ton View Post
    That is very nice! I have made two similar stands, one from 1 1/4" GALV pipe, and the other using 1" GALV image.jpgpipe.
    Both are sufficient, but the 1" is definitely a little on the spindly side. I do like it though since it is much lighter. The kee clamps would be great, but I have had no trouble fastening either strap or rope suspension to the smooth uprights by using several wraps around the pipe. On the strap suspension, I just wrap it two or three times and clip the carabiner over it...so far so good. I really like the 7 foot height of your stand, and may extend my by a foot. Mine are bothe 6 foot, which is just adequate (my stands widths are 12 & 14.5 feet)...an extra foot would would allow me to pitch my tarp higher.
    Nice job! Having the extra foot of height does allow for a higher tarp pitch, and that is why I wanted to make it 7'.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    A word of caution...

I have made several stands that mimic the pipe stand out of welded tubing. If the hammock is hung too far down from the "corner" it begins to try to pull the legs together, and bow the ridge pole. Staking the corners may be necessary in some cases.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst/WBMJ
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx/Wooki
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    A word of caution...

I have made several stands that mimic the pipe stand out of welded tubing. If the hammock is hung too far down from the "corner" it begins to try to pull the legs together, and bow the ridge pole. Staking the corners may be necessary in some cases.
    I'm 210 lbs and with the 1-1/4" pipe, I experience almost no bowing of the ridgepole or verticals. Of course, my stand is currently sitting on grass which provides some additional resistance against any inward movement of the base. Staking the corners would probably be a good idea in any case to increase the margin of safety. A person could also mount a horizontal span of 1" pipe near ground level that connects the verticals if you really want a rigid structure.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millem23 View Post
    I'm 210 lbs and with the 1-1/4" pipe, I experience almost no bowing of the ridgepole or verticals. Of course, my stand is currently sitting on grass which provides some additional resistance against any inward movement of the base. Staking the corners would probably be a good idea in any case to increase the margin of safety. A person could also mount a horizontal span of 1" pipe near ground level that connects the verticals if you really want a rigid structure.
    This thread inspired me to pull the trigger and build this style of stand. In light of the possibility that hanging the hammock lower may pull the legs towards each other, I decided to make the height adjustable with one of these: https://m.lowes.com/pd/SteelTek-1-1-...-Tee/999930886.

The idea is to slide it up and down the vertical supports and tighten the set screw at the desired hang height. Then the compression forces can be kept at the point where the cross bar attaches. The extra height of the vertical pole could then still be used for a higher tarp hang if desired. That's the theory anyway, I'll let you know how it works. Should have it up and running tmrw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    ^^^Like!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast