Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with camping hammock

I am interested in upgrading to a nicer hammock. I really do not use one other than as a camping system. I have a couple of questions, but first, a little about where I started.
    I am currently using an ENO double Nest with a Kelty tarp. I camp in all weather, but especially in the cool and cold months. I do not currently have any bug net at all, and that has been an issue in all but the coldest months here in Georgia.

So, I would like a larger, flat laying hammock with a bug net on it. I will continue to use the tarp until I can afford a superfly or other winter type tarp.

I am about 5'11" and 200 lbs. I have been interested in the WBBB and BB xlc for some time, but are there others that I should consider as well? I want to "buy once, cry once" on this purchase.

At some point, I will also need to upgrade my underquilt system. Right now, I use a poncho liner, and it works, sort of, to about 35 degrees. If it is 40 or lower, I head to the ground, and I really do not want to do that anymore.

So, suggestions?????

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Since you do not use the bugnet often, would it make more sense to go with a simple, but larger hammock and a separate Fronkey style bugnet. The advantages are that it would be cheaper, pack lighter without the net, and leave funds for a nice underquilt, which it sounds like would suit your style of camping.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    For an "all-in-one" camping hammock I find the BBXLC just right for me. The shelf and the foot box were the main things that made me go that way. Now that the Wooki has come out, this just makes the system even better.

You're probably near the upper limit for the BB so I'd look at the XLC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    My suggestion is before you spend any $$, go to one of the hammock hangs. You will find them listed in each geographic areas section or just pop into the GA section and ask there. At a hang you will get to look, touch, and perhaps even test a number of different hammocks. No one can really tell you what will work best for you because we are all very different and what works for one, won't work at all for someone else.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    * Simply Light Designs Trail Lair (probably a single layer in any sufficient fabric of 1.7 oz/sq-yd or less)

* Dutchware Bug-Free Chameleon (available to the public around 6/15, in Hexon 1.0 or Hexon 1.6)
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 06-01-2017 at 17:26.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

one of the things that interested me in the bbxlc was the winter cover. I see Dream Hammock has those as well, but I have never seen one in person. I have seen the xlc, and really fell for it. Not having tried much else besides some table cloth ones and my eno, I really have no experience with other brands. I did lay in a henessey bottom entry. I was not a fan.

The separate bug net for my eno was considered, but I just never got around to it. In all but the coldest months, I have been eaten alive here. I need/ want a real bug net! It seems like the zippered ones would be the easiest to keep up with.

I do camp with my dog. that has been a learning curve with the hammock. I still worry about snakes with him in warmer months. A labrador does not fit in the hammock with me, though he does seem to like to lay in it given a chance.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    It took me a little while to get my setup dialed in to where I like it. My first hammock was an eno sub 7. It's nice and light, but a bit too stretchy and short for my comfort. My next was a DIY 11 foot hammock, which was cheap and required minimum sewing. I found that the 11 ft length was good for me. I also started out with an ENO bugnet, but found it to be very constricting. It works, but generally restricts movement. I made the fronkey bugnet (search for it on this site), again with minimal sewing, and liked it very much.

I guess that I'm sharing this because it took some hands-on to learn what worked for me. In my case, I wasn't able to get out to any hangs, but did have late night time to DIY and test. As suggested, having the opportunity to see things for yourself, at a hang, can be a very good thing. It might also help speed your decision. Lots of folk really like their WBBBs, so it's likely that you would too.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by redman2006 View Post
    one of the things that interested me in the bbxlc was the winter cover. I see Dream Hammock has those as well, but I have never seen one in person. I have seen the xlc, and really fell for it. Not having tried much else besides some table cloth ones and my eno, I really have no experience with other brands. I did lay in a henessey bottom entry. I was not a fan.

The separate bug net for my eno was considered, but I just never got around to it. In all but the coldest months, I have been eaten alive here. I need/ want a real bug net! It seems like the zippered ones would be the easiest to keep up with.

I do camp with my dog. that has been a learning curve with the hammock. I still worry about snakes with him in warmer months. A labrador does not fit in the hammock with me, though he does seem to like to lay in it given a chance.
    I have a dream hammock dangerbird with the bugnet and overcover and love it. I like you started with and ENO and a Kelty tarp and slowly upgraded. I used to have a dutchware 11' hammock that I used a frank style bugnet and once I got the dangerbird I began to like the integrated bugnet better, so I sold the 11' dutchware hammock and frank bugnet.

on June 9th there is a group hang in East Tennessee which might be good for you to attend of visit, there would be plenty of hammocks to check out: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ootenanny-Hang

dutch will be there so there will be a chameleon there to check out and pap surf of dream hammock will be there so I'm sure he will have 1 of every hammock he makes there
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    any of the cottage vendors here are going to feel like luxury sleeping systems after a shorter hammock like the ENOs

Little Shop of Hammocks makes really nice all inclusive hammocks, and with the canadian dollar being what it is, it's like a free 30% discount to americans. I've had the chance to see a few of James' hammocks, and gotten in a couple. it's what my boy will get when he out grows his started hammock, and what I"ll probably get as well when I can add a gathered end to my Amok (that I need to use enough to justify adding another, lol)

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    Little Shop of Hammocks makes really nice all inclusive hammocks, and with the canadian dollar being what it is, it's like a free 30% discount to americans. I've had the chance to see a few of James' hammocks, and gotten in a couple. it's what my boy will get when he out grows his started hammock, and what I"ll probably get as well when I can add a gathered end to my Amok (that I need to use enough to justify adding another, lol)
    Totally forgot about LSOH. I don't own one of his hammocks (yet), but I have done business with James; he is super-helpful, and I think his hammock designs are beautiful.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast