Hammock
    Dutchware 11'
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    HG Dutchware 40
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I will often use the hang calculator app to get an idea of how high my straps should be. I have tie outs in my rope bag that are 1.5 meters each that I can lay down to get a closer idea of distance between trees. Another option is to use trekking poles set to a meter each and lay then end to end. I have also discovered that if I hold rope in my right hand (in the notch of my thumb and pointer finger) and run it to my left hand shoulder, that it is a meter. I can lay down a rope and then get a fairly good estimate at the distance between trees that way as I never seem to get it right when I walk it.

Quote Originally Posted by GingaNingaJP View Post
    I will often use the hang calculator app to get an idea of how high my straps should be. I have tie outs in my rope bag that are 1.5 meters each that I can lay down to get a closer idea of distance between trees. Another option is to use trekking poles set to a meter each and lay then end to end. I have also discovered that if I hold rope in my right hand (in the notch of my thumb and pointer finger) and run it to my left hand shoulder, that it is a meter. I can lay down a rope and then get a fairly good estimate at the distance between trees that way as I never seem to get it right when I walk it.
    Yes, I had the app on my phone, had trekking poles which account for 4' each, plus my wing span of almost 6'. I pegged the distance to about 15'-16'. I actually raised both ends on the hammock after the video to get the head end higher so I could sleep. It had been over a year and I forgot all of the hammocking tricks!

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.6 Tawny Olive
    Images
    I would check your pacing. Your pace looks long and forced. It is hard to tell how tall you are, but I would guess your hang height is about 6' but the distance between trees is closer to 20'. It would be hard to get the height right if your distance is off by 20-25%.

Quote Originally Posted by DiceCaller View Post
    I would check your pacing. Your pace looks long and forced. It is hard to tell how tall you are, but I would guess your hang height is about 6' but the distance between trees is closer to 20'. It would be hard to get the height right if your distance is off by 20-25%.
    Yea, besides the pacing, prior to setting up the camera, I did the arms out with trekking poles thing, which is 14' for me. It was another 2-3' to the tree, so I should realized then to hang higher.
    Pacing looks funny, because I'm wearing microspikes and walking on a mountain side with snow, ice, and wet rocks. I'll reserve pacing for flatter terrain

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Looks longer than 15' to me and I would say you need straps higher and give more sag to hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12