Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I made a hammock stand similar to the YOBO stand using some material that was lying around the machine shop at my university. I will be the first to admit that it's way overbuilt, but I hope to bring some of the weight down in future iterations.

I used 1" OD .065" walled 6061-T6 tube to make 5 foot long legs. If I had some 7075 lying around I would have used that, but beggars can't be choosers.

The connecting inserts between tubes are .125" wall.

Total weight is around 4.2 lb.

I paid special attention to the sliding fit between tube pieces since any play in there will cause the leg to buckle much easier. I faced down the ends of the tubes in a lathe to make the tubes join up linearly. If the tubes are bending, you're much more likely to fail.

20170704_113501.jpg
    20170704_113357.jpg
    20170704_113408.jpg
    20170703_145528.jpg
    Last edited by Jantz; 07-06-2017 at 12:29.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
    I made a hammock stand similar to the YOBO stand using some material that was lying around the machine shop at my university. I will be the first to admit that it's way overbuilt, but I hope to bring some of the weight down in future iterations.

I used 1" OD .065" walled 6061-T6 tube to make 5 foot long legs. If I had some 7075 lying around I would have used that, but beggars can't be choosers.

The connecting inserts between tubes are .125" wall.

Total weight is around 4.2 lb.

I paid special attention to the sliding fit between tube pieces since any play in there will cause the leg to buckle much easier. I faced down the ends of the tubes in a lathe to make the tubes join up linearly. If the tubes are bending, you're much more likely to fail.
    Very nice!

What did you use for the ground anchor?

Did you use two, or attach to a tree or something on the left?

mathineer

Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    Very nice!

What did you use for the ground anchor?

Did you use two, or attach to a tree or something on the left?

mathineer
    Ground anchor is a 18" piece of rebar hammered into the ground. I've only made the one end of it because I've found that I can usually find at least one tree or other strong thingamajig (in this case it's a post for the awning coming off the house).

Hammock
    DIY 10'6'' 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    Noah 9 (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing & buckles
    So I finally got around to running some numbers and I think all of the poles you originally listed should be acceptable if you follow the same design as the NoGround poles (this is really dependent on the truss spacer providing support to the bottom pole)

If we assume that the spacer will not bend under the load (since it is short and the plug is solid, this is a good assumption), the weak leg is about 25 in long. Putting this through the calculator with a safety factor of 8, we get the following failure loads (weight in the hammock):

DAC DA17: 245 kg

LuxeOutdoor: 135 kg

Wechsel: 226

Something I noticed noticed that may be confusing is that I was comparing the load in the hammock that would cause the pole to buckle to the maximum load seen by the pole based on the actual load in the hammock. I'll go back and fix this accordingly since I'm currently comparing apples to oranges. What you're really looking for is the "Failure load" value to be greater than the weight you intend to be in the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12