DH Sparrow, BBXLC, HH Expedition
    Tarp
    SLD WH / SMR Nube
    Insulation
    HG Inc/Burrow
    Suspension
    SMR EZslings
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Above 50F I might use a small closed-cell sit pad inside my top quilt under my heels, but much of the time I use this quilt I don't even bother, since I usually sleep in clean sleep socks when I'm in my hammock. I've slept in this underquilt into the mid-40s and never been cold.
    Awesome, thanks for the response. I'm really liking the looks and reviews of Loco Libres stuff. I may have just found my next set of quilts!

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAmericanInfidel View Post
    Curious, what do you do to insulate your feet with a 3/4 length quilt?
    Absolutely nothing. At 50 degrees I've found I need nothing under my feet. In fact I use partial length UQ's down to 40 with nothing for my feet. Just try it.

Images
    Since receiving my Operator Habernero 50º UQ a few weeks ago I've had it out three times now. Overnight lows were in the low 70s, mid 60s, and mid 50s. As expected the UQ has been comfortable in these temperatures.

I've swapped out the micro carabiners for Dutch's quilt hangers and added ridgeline quilt hooks. My quilt weighs 9.3oz in this configuration.

I've found I can setup the UQ so that it seals well when the ridgeline quilt hooks are pulling up on the suspension and then have the option to vent it a bit by disconnecting the ridgeline hooks for a looser fit without fiddling with the collar shock cords.

A bit more detail:

All nights were with WB Traveler XL hammock, Thermarest slacker bugnet, and WB Minifly tarp.

On the warmest night it was ~80º when I got into the hammock and I started with the quilt hung to the side so it was not underneath me. Sometime around 4am I was cool enough to move the UQ to underneath but did not use the ridgeline quilt hooks. The top quilt was a $15 Ozark Trail packable synthetic blanket I wanted to try out (similar warmth to Costco down throw).

For both of the other nights I started with the UQ in position (with ridgeline quilt hooks) and was comfortable to start and as the temps dropped during the night. Top quilt was a 20º EE Revalation completely opened up. On the night that dropped into the mid 50s my feet felt cool at one point so I ended up snapping together the footbox on the Revelation but leaving the drawstrings open for venting. Wrapping the quilt around my feet this way kept them warm without use of a supplemental foam sit pad.

The Operator Habernero 50º is an impressive little quilt, extremely light and packable and covers a useful range of temperatures. I'm looking forward to testing how low I can stretch it.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD .9oz Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    LL Operator Series
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by davidp View Post
    I've swapped out the micro carabiners for Dutch's quilt hangers and added ridgeline quilt hooks. My quilt weighs 9.3oz in this configuration.
    I love this UL quilt but still struggle a little with drafts from the side closer to my feet. It seems to depend on the hammock that I use as well. I might try ridgeline quilt hooks next. I'm almost there...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_matze View Post
    I love this UL quilt but still struggle a little with drafts from the side closer to my feet. It seems to depend on the hammock that I use as well. I might try ridgeline quilt hooks next. I'm almost there...
    I don't know what you've tried already, but you could try tightening the primary suspension a little and loosening the foot end cinch a little.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD .9oz Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    LL Operator Series
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I don't know what you've tried already, but you could try tightening the primary suspension a little and loosening the foot end cinch a little.
    I finally made it. It's 100% reliable now. No drafts or cold spots anymore.

The trick was to not shy away from extreme measures. I got a good deal on a WB Yeti 20F in the meantime and noticed that the suspension is so much tighter on this one - and that I don't have any problems with it. When I'm in the hammock, I can't even pull the Yeti away from under me.

So I took the Habanero's suspension cord and experimented around with changing the suspension length until it felt almost as tight as the Yeti's. As it turned out, for use with my 10' hammock I actually had to take out 73'' of the shock cord which I did by just cutting and tying a new knot.

I also realized that I get the best fit with the drawcord at the foot end is completely open and the one closer to the head cinched down about 4-5'' at both sides.

No problems whatsoeve since then. I am a happy hanger now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123