Hexon 1.0 vs HyperD 1.0

I am planning to make a single layer, gathered end hammock. I weigh 115lbs. What are the differences between Hexon 1.0 fabric from dutchware and HyperD 1.0 from Ripstop by the Roll. I'm struggling to find a comparison. Any thoughts or advice?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Both fabrics give me back-pain in a single layer hammock because they are so stretchy, but due to the ripstop pattern, the Hexon should be somewhat less stretchy. My guess is, that the ripstop also makes it a bit more robust. Although I wouldn't trust either for multi-day hikes when used as a single layer.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    While I don't have experience with the 1.0 Hexon fabric, I have made multiple 1.0 HyperD hammocks. I can detect places where the fabric has lost a little integrity. It has not failed me but I only trust it with a spare. I weigh 15 pounds more than you.

I made a Hyper D 1.6 for a friend and tried it out. I much preferred the 1.6 - less stretch, more robust, easier to sew, etc. So, I made a second Hyper D 1.6 for a different friend and she loves it. Will build 1.6 for myself in the near future.

If you are backpacking with the 1.0, the fabric may not be totally dependable when you are miles from the trailhead.

Enjoy the search.

Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing
    I think you can order a sample from both company's to see what they feel like and how they sew. If you are looking to go lighter, there is the Could71 that is near .50 Oz per yard. I have some of the Hoxen and it seems like it will be a bit of a pain to work with, but I will be using it as the 2nd layer of a bridge hammock I will be making to keep a sleeping pad in place.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I've used the HyperD 1.0 for a gathered end, and as a half-baked way to see how it handled and to have a spare hammock floating around it ended up being very comfortable. I can't speak for how it'll hold up, but I can say that the 1.6 variant in a bridge hammock is experiencing some seam stretching at high tension points, after multiple trips. So I realize that gathered ends are better at dealing with tension than bridges but the fabric will stretch, and that means potential seam weaknesses. It is dang, dang comfy though.

But the lighter the fabric, the tougher to work with. I hate working with fabrics that light in single layers.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I think you can order a sample from both company's to see what they feel like and how they sew. If you are looking to go lighter, there is the Could71 that is near .50 Oz per yard. I have some of the Hoxen and it seems like it will be a bit of a pain to work with, but I will be using it as the 2nd layer of a bridge hammock I will be making to keep a sleeping pad in place.
    A word of warning on the Cloud71...I've read multiple scenarios of total and unexpected failure, and not through mishandling or abuse either. It's fine for what it is, but it's a SIL fabric so expectations in load-bearing use cases need to stay pretty low.

• + New Posts