Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

WASHINGTON CROSSING STATE PARK.

Just got home from an over nighter with a small group of us north eastern hangers,We stumled on these group sites while trying to book a last minute reservation on a holiday and couldn't find anything else.
    Very very much to my surprise the campsites were BEAUTIFUL!
    We booked a group site that was made to host 28 campers and the per night rate was $50.00 with a $10.00 reservation fee, not bad though we had about11 adults so it worked out to $5.00 a head, Well worth it.
    The group sites are primative sites but we as many trees as we needed and more!
    The layout was a large open area with a fire pit and a couple charcoal grills and then wide paths into the wooded area behind us to hang our hammocks up at.
    The scenery was very nice and there was enough wood laying around in the surrounding forest to keep a fire going for a year!!
    The wife and i forgot to bring a camara and i hope someone else took some pics to post.
    I think the campgrounds was a nice find and we plan on going back there again in the future

Hammock
    Dutch 11' single Hexon1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ WD11
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DW Cinch Buckle
    I am assuming that you were on the New Jersey side of the river. Or were you on the PA side? The former is on Route 29 and the second is on Route 32 in PA. I used to travel both sides when I commuted from the Lehigh Valley to Lakehurst or Marlton.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pH@willie View Post
    I am assuming that you were on the New Jersey side of the river. Or were you on the PA side? The former is on Route 29 and the second is on Route 32 in PA. I used to travel both sides when I commuted from the Lehigh Valley to Lakehurst or Marlton.
    Yes, it was on the NJ side, just one turn off of 29.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Zilla had reached out to a few folks about a squeezing in one or more nights out prior to some downtime he is facing. No worries, he'll be back out there in short order.

A little bit last minute but the word was spread via PM's and leveraging The Treefrog's FB group, interest flared. As it was Memorial Day weekend, pickin's were a little slim, 30 days lead is about what you want when the ground pounders, scout troops and families take advantage of holidays.

We discussed and scouted out a couple locations, finally settling on Washington's Crossing State Park in NJ. A first for most all of us, at least for camping.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf.../washcros.html

The Mushroom did a recon, hauled some firewood and posted some pics. Signs of promise. Trees, plenty of them. A lack of undergrowth, firerings, elevated grills, a field. Ok, looking like a GO.

Headcount (approx 15 + kindern) - check, food planning (porkroll festival nearby) - check, reasonable cost ($5/adult, kids free) - check, reasonable drive time (45mins-1hr for most)

My crew was a bit indecisive due to potential rain forecasted at 70% and lasting 8 hours. The GO call was delayed until day of. Forecasts being what they are Sat AM showed little chance of extended rain and the kids were a GO. Even picked up an extra. So 3 nephews and I pulled the trigger, packed up and rolled north. For us an easy drive up the interstate, hop off on 29, drive through Trenton past the ballfield, Thomas Edison Univ, the big homes along the river, up to the north end by Scudders Falls (my local whitewater playboat hangout from years gone by) and then a right off of 29 at the Washington's Crossing Tavern. Skipping the park entrance and looping around to the designated group camping area just beyond the soccer fields, we arrived.

Group site A is right by the parking area. A line of some 4 clivus composting toilet buildings marked the other sites in the distance, some 200-300 yards out would be our destination, site C. We trekked through the grass, though there is a gravel road if you prefer and arrived to an empty group area excepting a few folding chairs and a cooler, no hanging trees in sight. Huh?!? But the recon pics...which turned out to be of site B and we were in C. Was this an ill fated adventure?

Nope, just a short walk behind the group site and the forest opened up to a world of hanging possibilities, little undergrowth with many hammocks and tarps already rigged and ready. Soon after, the hiking crew were making their way back up the trail to camp as my crew got busy rigging our compound. The two 10 year olds like hanging side by side under a monster tarp and the teenager shared one tree staying newrby and as it happened, that nice cluster of trees allowed me to hang there with us all rigging into a porch mode and creating a great little camp setup. Normally an excellent thing as the kids enjoy their hammock time. This trip however, with a great group of kids, there would be nearly zero time at our camp as the children occupied themselves completely and went none stop until I threw in the towel around midnight. Yep, the boundless energy of youth was on full display.

Others continued to arrive into the evening, kids made up games, fire was built, food was cooked and eventually some geeking out over gear transpired.

Editorial note, as an Uncle sometimes I just have to shut my eyes and tell myself, kids bounce, if they are cut or bleed, they will heal and running full speed in darkness isn't the end of the world. That tree or rock will remind them to use their headlamp when the time comes. Ha. You parents are awesome.

The fire burned into the evening, smores were cooked, folks were generous with the kids, thank you all, but eventually it was time to crash. Quick check of gear for secret stashes of food. Some unidentified scat had been spotted, didnt't need a visit from wandering black bear or worse the masked bandits of the night, wiley raccoons.
    Last edited by Ratdog; 05-29-2017 at 12:24. Reason: Typos...ponderous typing on an iPad
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Morning came just like it always does. A few text messages from my sisters asking for pics of the kids. The kids. Aw nuts, where are the kids? They are early risers and the hammocks were empty. Trundled off to the group area thinking I'll have to read them the riot act for wandering off without the obligatory notification and there they were, sitting quietly around the campfire with other adults, reading a book, talking quietly and generally amusing themselves with the other kids. I was defeated before I started, I made an effort to say 'hey, you know the rules, I need a heads up when you leave the 'camp' but they can sense weakness in my resolve. I snapped a couple pics to submit evidence to my siblings that their offspring were alive and well, then back to the hammock to sneak in a few more Z's. Return to the group area, Wolfcri was doing a demo of knife sharpening, reviving the Treefrog's folding knife of his youth into paper slicing edgy goodness.

There was talk of staying another night and if not for an obligation to help my folks, I would have been game but as it was, camp breakdown started and everyone was gone by noon. This time a couple of us drove into the park and looped around and were able to park vehicles for loading/unloading within 100ft of camp. Yeah, that was easier.

The boys and I drove around the park noting things of interest for a return visit. Several loop hiking trails, mountain biking trails, horse trails, a Nature Center a short walk from camp, several picnic areas/parks with playgrounds, bathrooms and grills, a few historic buildings. Yeah, it's worth going back. We stopped at one of the parks while the kids ran down slides throwing frisbees at eachother, launched off of swingsets and generally tuckered themselves out until it was time to feed again. Then the 45 minute ride home, another one in the books with plans to return.

My takeaways, 4 group sites, no individal sites. No water pump. My fear of overrun campgrounds with hard partying young folks perhaps ruining the quiet of the woods were all completely wrong on every level. The group sites are far enough apart you have to make an effort to see the tents. There is undergrowth around the group firerings but 5 yards back, it is a perfect hanging forest of deciduous trees.

The lack of a water pump is a drag but there are a few streams not too far away if you want to filter water.

Honestly, this site made the list for a family outing in the shoulder season, fewer ticks, site D near the park road that closes at 7PM puts you a very short hike to the Nature Center or site A near the parking area and just stretch your legs a bit more to get into the center of the park. We'll be back.
    Last edited by Ratdog; 05-29-2017 at 12:26.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    A few pics.
    Wolfcri JmBoh and the Treefrog

Group area, the Mushrooms. You can see the undergrowth that surrounds and along with a bit of distance, isolates the group sites from each other.

Our little camp before tarping it up. Mostly DIY hammocks, underquilts and tarps with a few notable exceptions. The giant 16ft Kelty Noah, a Jarbidge, some MAHHA wan UGQ 900fp downy goodness and of course my custom tank of an XLC. Notice the distinct lack of undergrowth in the hanging area.

Tarped up and abandoned as the kids played endlessly, stopping only to feed.

The teenager learning to improvise tarp rigging.

Oooooooooooooo
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Fire
    Vintage stoves

Thank you all for coming out, thanks for al, the gear you left behind haha. For those I missed saying farewell to, good to see you, catch you at the next one.

Sent from my hammock using whatever had a signal.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Washington's Crossing State Park NJ Map
    3500+ acres National Historic Park

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...FinalDraft.pdf
    Attached Files Attached Files
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Yes, yes, yes. A new favorite site for small and large groups. Site A holds 50 people, site B and C allow 25 each, and site D is set at 15 campers. Hammocks are permitted. I only saw one park personel ride through on a bicycle on check out day. No other visits or harassment. I don't think they try to count heads specially since we were spread out into the woods behind the campfire area.

We took a short hike up and down some slight elevation into a cool stream. Many trails form a couple to several miles. Worth the trip. Very peaceful.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    10' 1.0 dh darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incu-Sniv-Pepper
    Suspension
    All of 'em
    ...and there was pie!!!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images

WASHINGTON CROSSING STATE PARK.

Just a few pics from around the park...

My setup,

Nice lake we saw on a short hike,

A nice stream,

Bigfoot?

Jimboh, and The Tree Frog's fire,

Hotdogs galore! With chili and cheese too! And TheMushroom and Miss Shroom's turkey burgers too.

The fire later Saturday night,

It was a great hang. I'm glad I was able to go. A great time out, even for one night. Great park, beautiful campsite, and a bunch of good people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2019 NJ Winter Hang Coup De Grace De Grub Champion
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett
    https://lighterpack.com/r/yk6y8s

• + New Posts