Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I recently discovered robic 1.7 is perfect for my back, and there are lots of color choices. Last weekend i made a new hammock of this fabric but cut it down to 62" finished width. Next one will be 60". I'm 5'4".

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I've had lower back issues since I suffered an injury in high school. My hammock is a single layer Dream Hammock Raven in Hyper D 1.6. Obviously everyone is different; but for me, the Hyper D 1.6 has been heaven on my back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    It definitely sounds like upping the fabric to 1.6 will help a lot

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    DuneElliot,

When I switched from partially inflated pad to underquilt for my bottom insulation, I immediately had to content with old wrestling injuries. The pad, had been preventing the hammock from squeezing me during my sleep. My issues were ameliorated with a longer hammock and some experimenting with hang angle.

You might consider adding a small section of closed cell foam pad, just enough to support the thoracic section of your spine and add small buffer to reduce squeeze on your shoulder.

Don't know that it will work but cheap and easy to try.

Good Luck
    This I can do. I just bought a new section of CCF for my dogs and have a couple of their old beds left-over to try this with. I was wondering how I might do with a pad vs the UQ

Quote Originally Posted by hanging tough View Post
    What about you're right lay/ left lay angles ? At 5'5" you are probably have a lot of room to adjust.
    I've tried both, and turning on my side, to little relief, mostly because it's the curl from pelvis to shoulder than from side to side

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I started out with a Hennessy Expedition Asym (which is probably a 2.5 or something fabric) and then switched to a Dutch Netless Hexon 1.0 too to save weight and bulk... but have since switched again to a Little Shop of Hammocks Warrior which is in a 1.9 fabric.

I am also very weight-conscious and some of my backpacking trips have 10-15 mile days and plenty of elevation.

I would agree with the others, if I love the 1.9 (I am 180lbs, 5'11") you'll probably be much happier with a 1.6 and if you wake up less sore, those few extra ounces won't be noticed since you'll just feel better overall and start with more energy in the morning.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Just hit the order button for a Hexon 1.6. I really hope it helps. Despite the pain I still got much better sleep in the hammock than on the ground so I don't want to go back

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    While I love the idea of a bridge hammock, the weight is too much for me to consider while backpacking.
    I hope your new Hexon 1.6 gathered end works out. However, just to be clear, a bridge hammock does not have to be heavy -- especially for someone who is a petite 110 pounds...

I made a netless DIY bridge hammock from Hexon 1.0 with carbon fiber spreader bars that came in under 12 ounces from apex to apex. One made from Hexon 1.6 or 1.0 oz ROBIC would be better on your back but still quite light. As has been suggested, a bridge can provide a very flat lay.

With bridge hammocks, you do need to consider the change in weight to your entire sleep system. Depending on your environment and weather conditions, you may need a slightly bigger tarp, but any weight penalty is often offset by being able to use a much smaller and lighter underquilt.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-28-2017 at 10:46.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I hope your new Hexon 1.6 gathered end works out. However, just to be clear, a bridge hammock does not have to be heavy -- especially for someone who is a petite 110 pounds...

I made a netless DIY bridge hammock from Hexon 1.0 with carbon fiber spreader bars that came in under 12 ounces from apex to apex. One made from Hexon 1.6 or 1.0 oz ROBIC would be better on your back but still quite light. As has been suggested, a bridge can provide a very flat lay.

With bridge hammocks, you do need to consider the change in weight to your entire sleep system. Depending on your environment and weather conditions, you may need a slightly bigger tarp, but any weight penalty is often offset by being able to use a much smaller and lighter underquilt.
    Excellent points. I love that my under quilts are so small and fit the bottom perfectly with zero fiddle factor. I slept in my gathered end two nights ago and fought the under quilt all night long.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post

Well if this next one doesn't work out maybe I'll have to convince you to make me one!!!

Hammock
    11' Dutch Poly D, Fronkey Net
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    WL TQ/TeWa UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    You might like 1.2 polyD. Polyester hammocks have less stretch than nylon.
    Yes. My 1.4oz PolyD hammock is like sleeping on a board compared to my single layer Hexon 1.0. I liken the PolyD material to a firm mattress. It lacks the immediate cozy factor of a stretchy material (or softer mettress), but your joints thank you in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Another thing to keep in mind is how you hang the hammock. Varying the amount of sag as can make a difference. Many of us find that having the foot end about 12" higher than the head end can be beneficial in several ways. I find that most often the impact of changes can't be fully realized until at least three consecutive days in the hammock. Jumping in an out while making changes gives only inital impressions. I'll admit though that some changes can have an immediate impact, which is what I'll speculate you'll find with the change to 1.6.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is how you hang the hammock. Varying the amount of sag as can make a difference. Many of us find that having the foot end about 12" higher than the head end can be beneficial in several ways. I find that most often the impact of changes can't be fully realized until at least three consecutive days in the hammock. Jumping in an out while making changes gives only inital impressions. I'll admit though that some changes can have an immediate impact, which is what I'll speculate you'll find with the change to 1.6.
    Yeah, I was keeping the "keep the foot end higher" rule in mind although I found 6" better. Even with trees as close as 5 large paces (I can't get much closer than that with an 11ft tarp) I struggled with getting the straps high enough to allow enough sag while still keeping me from brushing the ground...sometimes it sucks to be short. I was often hunting down branches or rocks I could move to get a little more height. I have a SRL on my hammock but I found that having more sag than the typical recommendation helped also.

I found everything about a gathered-end hammock comfortable in general, so a little more support for my back should make all the difference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast