ENO Junglenest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Pad n Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Walmart straps

Such a scaredy cat

Aghhhh! No matter how hard I try I cannot get myself to actually complete a solo overnighter. I've made solid effort 3 times now and chickened out every time! I cannot find a good hiking partner and want to get out more. Anyone else had trouble getting through that first time alone, in the dark, all night, with Bigfoot watching? I even took my dog with me but she offers no words of comfort.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Every time the first trip is a Lil nerve wracking. I usually take like a Tylenol pm. But after that it's fine. When u wake up and realize it's more me then them. Go to a group hang if possible and start your own hiking network

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

First time I went out I thought I was in a tropical storm. Turns out it was just the leaves rustling.

Fire keeps the big bad wolf away and gives a sense of security.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have had my mind play games with me, making monsters out of every little sound. My answer was to pray until I fell asleep! Is there a campground you feel comfortable enough to stay at that would have other people nearby? Of course that can come with a different set of anxieties.

Hammock
    ENO Junglenest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Pad n Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Walmart straps
    'Is there a campground you feel comfortable enough to stay at that would have other people nearby?"

I did that the first time. A trail I frequent actually starts at one campground and ends at another. So I've went from trail head to campground and I have no problem with that. But I want to explore and be away from people. The irony is that other people make me feel safe haha.

Hammock
    Chameleon / HH with 2qzq mod 4
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly/ZqDoors
    Insulation
    LL Reaper / GP
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    LoL I bet you are like that kid off "Stand by me" when he freaks at every frog sound and owl hoot.
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. - Plato

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 / Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 16 X 16
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 4
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Pythons
    Images
    Scared,
    I can understand your apprehension and no one but yourself will over come this dilemma. That's exactly what you don't need to hear.

Let's talk about a couple of things. Where do you live? Farming community, city? A person living in a city has a better chance of being killed than you will in the wilderness. Crossing a street without paying attention can get you squashed. Vehicular accidents are numerically high (20 years as a Paramedic testifies to that statement), meaning no matter how careful you drive, that moron texting in the other car will maim or kill you. I have no stats on this, just think about it, you have a better chance of being killed by a terrorist in any town in the US than by a bear attack. Does that mean bears will never attack you? Of course not, you have to use your head and training. Get some bear spray, train to use it and remember, your head not the spray will keep you safe. Bear spray is a deterrent only, there is no guarantee it will stop a charging bear. Not comforting to hear, but, think of all the hazards you take for granted where you live everday, you don't think twice about facing those potential disasters.

It's the unknown that frightens you. It's the thought about suffering some grossly painful attack from some big ugly creature that freaks you out. You hike during the day, do you see those big ugliest? Of course you don't. Ask yourself, what are the chances of something happening just because the sky is dark?

Everything that will help you get through the night you carry between you ears. Don't misunderstand me, training in first aide, how and where to hang your food bag. Looking at your camp site to make sure you aren't setting up on game trails. Speaking, singing, wearing bells, talking louder than usual to let the wild things know you're coming. In short everything you've read or been instructed to do will prevent harm be falling you.

Don't even begin to fill your head with crazy things that are completely false...wolves, only if you bumble into a den of pups, sick (seldom) injured (slightly more frequent) but still highly improbable to be attacked by one. Smaller animals are far more concerned about getting out of your way and staying out of your camp then you should be of them. Just don't leave food lying around your camp (again going back to your training.)

What's left out there to trouble you at night? Aliens? Bigfoot? Lock Ness? NOTHING! Absolutely nothing. But we still have that problem of THE MIND. When you're frightened it's as real as a charging bear. So what to do? Try sleeping outside in your or someone else's backyard, where it's safe. Do this a few times until your comfortable. Then step it up, try spending the night in a city park that allows it. Again, when you're comfortable, step it up again. Try camping at a state park that is busy with people. Then one not so crowded. Then as comfort replaces fear continue stepping up your game. Try wilderness camping in an area that has a dedicated campsite, again with people (busy season) then progress from that to nights on your own in the fantastic wilderness.

Just remember, fear can't be over come in a week or six so don't be in a hurry. Your head is your greatest weapon against fear, condition it and use it to whip those fears. Get training in outback survival. Trust your head when the mind monkeys try to take over.

Easy....hell no! But as you know full well...worth every moment of success. Good luck, I hope others will try to offer help as well.

Bibsoutdoors

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO Junglenest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Pad n Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Walmart straps
    Those are good things to keep in mind, bibsoutdoors. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit, SBP
    Tarp
    bushcraftUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    HG econ 30*
    Suspension
    straps w/ whoopies
    Just do it !

A "wilderness ninja" being afraid of the dark.
    I want the movie rights to that one.

Bibs nailed it for ya,,, ease into it. +1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast