11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by RosieM View Post
    Hello to all! My name is Rosie. I've been camping with a Hammock for about 4 years now. I am about to embark on my first backpacking trip and in an effort to do some serious research before going, I stumbled across this forum. I figure you all probably have great advice for a novice backpacker, so please share away!

I am taking a 12 mile hike over 3 days on a well established trail with 2 other women. (Probably a breeze for many of you, but since I'm new to this I figured it would be a good way to start) One of the gals is pretty experienced and the other is a newb like me. I'll be taking my ENO double nest hammock and trying to construct some sort of rain fly out of a tarp.

Also would love some suggestions for food to take that doesn't take up much room, as well as packing in general. I've googled some lists already and I packed my backpack up with just about everything I'm planning to take to see how heavy it was and though I don't own a scale, on my back it didn't feel too bad. But, my husband says I'm crazy and that after walking 4 miles a day I'll be ready to chunk stuff out to make it lighter. He's usually right so I'm thinking I may need to scale back some.

Anyways, great to meet you lovely people and I look forward to hearing all your wonderful ideas and advice!

Rosie
    Make sure your shoes are comfortable and broken in. The lighter the better. Carry some mole skin and at the first signs of discomfort on your feet stop and take care of that. Just carry the water you need to drink while hiking since you have water available at your stops. Carry highest calorie per weight food. Dried fruit will be your best friend. Dried mango, raisins whatever you like. If you are relying on another for water filtration I think I would find out the filtration she uses and her capability, this could be very important. Definitely walk with your pack as much as possible before your trip. If you are hiking in different terrain like mountains, condition your legs for that. Very wise doing the shorter trip as you learn. Good luck, enjoy.

Thanks again new friends!

@T-minus, thank you for the food suggestions! I like to cook and so whenever I go camping I usually go all out and try to make gourmet campfire food, lol. But, that's because I have my car 10 ft away with extra supplies and seasonings. This is gonna be different I know, but I am thinking about bringing stuff for black bean and corn tacos for night one. If I put the filling in a ziplock bag already premade, then all I have to do is heat it up and serve it on tortillas. Left over tortillas become lunch and ziplock will fold done quite small afterwards. The gal coming with the water filter also has a pot that gold ups somehow, still haven't seen it so hard to imagine, but we could definitely boil eggs in there and I have one of those egg carting things I use for camping as well.. I'll have to see if the other girls want some hard boiled eggs.

@oldpappy, good call. I was going to that much water because everything I had read said haul as much as you can even if you have a water filter, just in case it breaks or something. And I assume as I drink the water in the camel pack while walking it will lighten as well. But, you're right, I could definitely cut back some more on the water.

@boyscoutauatyn, thanks! My cousin was an Eagle Scout, I should probably call him for some tips!

@charliev, yes, I already know that lesson. The place I'm hiking is know to have many ticks this time of year, so I'm planning on hiking in close toed tennis shoes. I don't have an actual pair of hike boots or shoes, but these are broken in and in good condition. I'll still be wearing leggings and tall socks to keep the ticks out. I saw on Pinterest that it was an "old army trick" to wear panty hose underneath everything to keeps ticks out and also adds warmth, but it will be plenty warm in the day, it's the nights I'm worried about! Anyone know if it helps keep out the ticks though?

Again, I may be being picky and taking too much because I'm not use to not having what I want with me but I'm also attaching a small pair of water shoes to my backpack to change into for water crossing or to stop for a swim.

I did take a walk around the block yesterday with the dog and my backpack on. It wasn't too bad.. it was heavy but it wasn't like killing me. And, that was with the water I'm not going to shave off. But I realize I'm going to go a lot further than that so I'll keep working my way up walk around the block several times over the next 2 weeks.

Rosie

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12