Identifying webbing

Hi guys

I want to get myself some webbing to use for suspension. I found a material shop that has a few spools of different webbing. The shop owner doesn’t know whether it is nylon, polyester or polypropylene.

I did do a search on the forum and on the internet and found a few ways to test the material.

I got samples from 7 different straps.
    I did the burn / smell test but they all smell VERY similar- except for the one that turned out to be cotton.
    Then 2 of the samples float so from what I gather it means that they are polypropylene.
    So that leaves me with 4 straps but I’m still not sure exactly what material they are.

If I buy 5 meters of webbing and hang a few kg at the end of it will that be the definitive test?
    If it stretches overnight it is nylon, or maybe even polypropylene. If it doesn’t stretch it is polyester?

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Sounds like a lot of work. Why not just buy some webbing from Dutch?

http://dutchwaregear.com/woven-daisy-chain-webbing.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    Sounds like a lot of work. Why not just buy some webbing from Dutch?

http://dutchwaregear.com/woven-daisy-chain-webbing.html
    I live in Taiwan. Shipping costs will be more than the actual purchase itself…

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dawieMAN View Post
    Hi guys

I want to get myself some webbing to use for suspension. I found a material shop that has a few spools of different webbing. The shop owner doesn’t know whether it is nylon, polyester or polypropylene.

I did do a search on the forum and on the internet and found a few ways to test the material.

I got samples from 7 different straps.
    I did the burn / smell test but they all smell VERY similar- except for the one that turned out to be cotton.
    Then 2 of the samples float so from what I gather it means that they are polypropylene.
    So that leaves me with 4 straps but I’m still not sure exactly what material they are.

If I buy 5 meters of webbing and hang a few kg at the end of it will that be the definitive test?
    If it stretches overnight it is nylon, or maybe even polypropylene. If it doesn’t stretch it is polyester?
    You are on the right track. Polypro will be light for it's size and will float. It won't stretch and it should float. It will also be weaker. To do a stretch test you should do more than a few kg. But your body weight should provide quick results. Tie a string to it that isn't under load and compare the stretch.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Quote Originally Posted by dawieMAN View Post
    I live in Taiwan. Shipping costs will be more than the actual purchase itself…
    I really doubt shipping would be that much unless you have some duties fees. I have stuff shipped DHL Expres from Asia all the time for very little cost. Dutch's gear is flat out the best. I just got his new hybrid Dyneema/poly strap and their bad ***.

• + New Posts