Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The 13ft ridge line isn't so much about water/drip issues as it is about being able to close the end "doors" if your tarp has them. If you don't have doors on the tarp, then the 13ft recomendation isn't as strong.

But I am a big tarp advocate. I want to be dry not only in my hammock but also around my hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The 13ft ridge line isn't so much about water/drip issues as it is about being able to close the end "doors" if your tarp has them. If you don't have doors on the tarp, then the 13ft recomendation isn't as strong.

But I am a big tarp advocate. I want to be dry not only in my hammock but also around my hammock.
    I see. I think a lot of the issue surrounding 13-foot versus shorter ridge lines on tarps for bridge hammocks centers around dimensional differences between commercial and DIY bridges.

If one does the math, a winter tarp with a 13-foot ridge line (156") should be sufficient in size to close around the suspension triangles of an 82" long bridge hammock with 40" spreader bars and 45" suspension legs on both ends when hung at a 25-degree hang angle, which, quite frankly, seems to be a whole lot of bridge hammock... (That's bigger than a Warbonnet Ridgerunner, which has a body less than 79" long with a smaller suspension triangle on the foot end. In practice, there are some variances that occur due to the nonlinear curving of both tarp and hammock.)

My 80" DIY bridge (longer than the WBRR) with symmetrical 36" spreader bars and 30" suspension legs covers less than 10.5 feet of horizontal distance from apex to apex when hung at any hang angle greater than 20 degrees, so a 12-foot tarp with doors can give pretty full enclosure; the limiting factor is usually the width/stance, so I generally have to employ poles or pull-outs to give a tarp sufficient cross-section for the bridge hammock spreader bars when battened down in storm mode, even if the ridge line length is sufficient.

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-26-2017 at 20:08.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Love the width!!

EDIT: It stands tall and still touches the ground.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The superbly is really popular but that might be predomately gathered end hangers. Some vendors make a specific bridge hammock tarp or offer a larger "custom" size for a little more money. I have a wildernesslogics old man winter with a 13 ft ridge line to accommodate the length between the apex points.

Whatever model/brand, I'd make sure it is at least 13 ft long if used with a bridge.
    The 13' ridgeline recommendations are for the ridgerunner only, not all bridges, even then a 12' is plenty big enough. The ridgerunner has a longer suspension triangle than any other available bridges. Jrb's for example fits perfectly fine in an 11' superfly.
    Superfly's popularity has nothing to do with gathered end hammocks, it's simply been available for a good number of years now, where UGQ's only just started making tarps.
    Also, I don't know of anyone who makes a bridge specific tarp. Warbonnet did come out with the cloudburst with the rr, and the main difference, is the side pull-outs are spread apart more. That all I've heard of others offering.
    That reminds me of the guy who kept arguing with me on fb when I was trying to sell my quilts. He was so positive that there are gathered end uq's and bridge specific uq's, and they are designed completely different, and they won't work on opposite hammocks. Which was annoying because everyone else just stayed away, luckily you guys bought them all up from me.
    Thanks again guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    Love the width!!...It stands tall and still touches the ground.
    Thanks, W8lkinUSA. I've spent the last six nights in a row under my DIY Cat Tangle tarp, and I must say the 12' x 10' design is actually proving to be very versatile...

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Thanks, W8lkinUSA. I've spent the last six nights in a row under my DIY Cat Tangle tarp, and I must say the 12' x 10' design is actually proving to be very versatile...
    Is it only 10' wide? It looks much wider than my 10' wide Warbonnet SuperFly. I've never used my tie-outs yet since I haven't gotten around to seam sealing my tie-outs yet.. I hung my tarp higher this past trip, but had much more gap below the tarp.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Is it only 10' wide? It looks much wider than my 10' wide Warbonnet SuperFly. I've never used my tie-outs yet since I haven't gotten around to seam sealing my tie-outs yet.. I hung my tarp higher this past trip, but had much more gap below the tarp.
    Yes, this tarp is standard-width, 10 feet across using two 60" panels, but I'm working on a new widebody version, the "Bat Tangle", that is a 12 X 12 square tarp with the same cat-cut treatment on the edges to allow full enclosure with a 72" stance. I'm using some Silpoly XL seconds, 72" wide, for the new tarp to get a higher ridge line when staked directly to the ground. I find that my DIY bridge hammocks are often easier to enclose in grounded tarps than gathered-end hammocks because of their shallow hang angle.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Yes, this tarp is standard-width, 10 feet across using two 60" panels, but I'm working on a new widebody version, the "Bat Tangle", that is a 12 X 12 square tarp with the same cat-cut treatment on the edges to allow full enclosure with a 72" stance. I'm using some Silpoly XL seconds, 72" wide, for the new tarp to get a higher ridge line when staked directly to the ground. I find that my DIY bridge hammocks are often easier to enclose in grounded tarps than gathered-end hammocks because of their shallow hang angle.
    12x12? You'll be the envy of all bridge hammock owners.

I finally experimented with shortening the triangle cord to fit inside the SuperFly. It doesn't rock as badly as what people made of it. I'll make a better temporary solution to prevent damaging the amsteel cord. Not buying a Winter Dream/Haven would be ideal. Though an additional 2 feet on the sides to prevent sideways rain is awfully tempting; full door closure also sounds great. .

Do you find space to be sufficient when using tie-outs on only one side? I'm thinking about wetting my back and shoulders when entering a drenched tarp..

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Do you find space to be sufficient when using tie-outs on only one side? I'm thinking about wetting my back and shoulders when entering a drenched tarp..
    I sometimes pull just one side with a gathered-end hammock on the side from which I enter and exit, but with a bridge I found that pulling both sides (or an internal pole mod) is necessary to allow for the swing of the spreader bars when getting in th hammock.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I sometimes pull just one side with a gathered-end hammock on the side from which I enter and exit, but with a bridge I found that pulling both sides (or an internal pole mod) is necessary to allow for the swing of the spreader bars when getting in th hammock.
    I've been careless and allowed the bars to touch the side walls during my 2 trips. I can see how this would be a bad idea in the long run. I'll need to consider if gathered end hammocks will provide sufficient comfort since I would prefer simplicity during this part of my life. I really appreciate your feedback on this. I loved my trip with the bridge hammock this past week though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12