Tarp
    Cuben Fiber Palace
    Insulation
    EE, LL, + UGQ down
    Suspension
    Kevlar w/ BH
    Images

Made my first DIY hammock with bugnet

I wanted to make myself an 11 foot hammock with integrated bugnet. I'm graduating from my ENO doublenest and looking for a flatter lay. I ordered 1.7 Robic, 0.5 no-see-um, and amsteel. I also ordered 11 feet of continuous coil zipper and some double zipper pulls. It took me about 4 hours this morning to complete and cost me about $78 (ordering stuff from Ripstop by the roll and Dutchware).

Getting the zipper pulls on the continuous coil was tricky, but I found this video to help.

IMG_7907.jpg

I chose to use the modified sheet bend based off this video with some loops that I made using the double fishermans knot.

IMG_7908.jpg

Then, I stole the adjustable ridgeline from my ENO and adjusted it to 110". I had my husband lay they way I would so that I could lay the netting on top and pin where it should go. I sewed it directly to the hammock on the backside and used the zipper for the front. That was the most time-consuming part of the whole project.

I tested it out with the kids and am pretty happy with it.

IMG_7916.jpg

Decided to also use the amsteel to make some easy zipper pulls.

IMG_7911.jpg

I find that I do have a flatter lay with this one, so that's good. I do find it a little harder to reach my ridgeline organizer, though. And, I also found it more difficult to set it up high enough on the trees. I'll have to get used to this longer length.

It compacts down to about the same size as the doublenest. Came out to 1lb 4oz. Not the lightest thing out there, but I wanted my fabric to be able to handle some weight and it shaves 7 ounces off my doublenest/WB travel net combo.

IMG_7913.jpg

We'll be taking this out for Memorial Day weekend and I can't wait to try it overnight!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    SD Quilt
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Looks great. Good effort. DIY is the way to nirvana!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11ftr
    Tarp
    silpoly pu4000
    Insulation
    poultry puff
    Great job. Very clean! Down the rabbithole you go!
    "We are the greatest bulldozers to walk erect. Will we ever permit Mother Nature–truly our mother–to do her thing, undisturbed and unmarred? Will we ever be content to play a passively observant role in the universe, and leave off this unceasing activity? I do not wish man in control of the universe. I wish nature in control, and man playing only his just role as one of its inhabitants."
    — Randy Morgensen, 1971

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Looks really nice! Welcome to the world of DIY obsession...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Cool hammock, and a job well done. The 1.7 oz ROBIC fabric is amazing material; I think it's the closest thing to an all-purpose hammock body fabric.; I just slept in my DIY 1.7 oz ROBIC hammock last night, and it gives me a firm, flat, comfortable lay from one single, nearly indestructible midweight layer.

BTW IMHO 20 ounces is a very respectable weight for an integrated-net hammock of this type, so I'd have no complaint there.

Your OP didn't specify much about you shaped, assembled, and attached your bug net; any details on your experience would surely be of benefit to others looking to attempt a similar build, if you care to provide them.

Enjoy your new hammock next weekend.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DH Sparrow or DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber Palace
    Insulation
    EE, LL, + UGQ down
    Suspension
    Kevlar w/ BH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Cool hammock, and a job well done. The 1.7 oz ROBIC fabric is amazing material; I think it's the closest thing to an all-purpose hammock body fabric.; I just slept in my DIY 1.7 oz ROBIC hammock last night, and it gives me a firm, flat, comfortable lay from one single, nearly indestructible midweight layer.

BTW IMHO 20 ounces is a very respectable weight for an integrated-net hammock of this type, so I'd have no complaint there.

Your OP didn't specify much about you shaped, assembled, and attached your bug net; any details on your experience would surely be of benefit to others looking to attempt a similar build, if you care to provide them.

Enjoy your new hammock next weekend.
    Thanks.

I sewed one side of the zipper to the front edge of the hammock. Then, I had my husband lay in my position, then I threw the mesh over top and pinned it all the way around, onto the top half of the zipper and the back edge. He's about the same height and weight, so that made it easy. I'm not sure how I would have sized it on my own. Then, we unzipped and he got out. I brought it inside and stitched the top half of the zipper to the mesh. I had it folded over and didn't worry about any excess. After the row of stitching, I trimmed off the excess mess on that side. Then, I stitched a second row for extra security. For the back edge, I did the opposite. I had it folded over and stitched on the INSIDE, so that it would look good from the inside. I did the row of stitching close to the fold, so that I could get between the outside body and the mesh and trim excess. Then, I trimmed off the excess from the outside. Then, I went back across with a row of stitching closer to the edge of the hammock body's hem. It ended up looking pretty clean. Although, I recommend using the same color thread as the hammock body because it's hard to make two rows of stitching look parallel. There was some excess mesh towards the top two corners. I trimmed up one side and just kind of tucked it through the hole with the ridgeline. The other side I chose to tie it around the continuous loops sticking out. Not really sure why. I may go back and do something for else for that side, but for now it works.

• + New Posts