Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Speaking of fabric, does anyone have any experience and could comment on the difference in feel between the 1.6 HyperD versus the Robic XL. I'm not interested in extra width, but the feel of fabrics and the water shedding abilities are of interest. I take it that less stretch is more desirable as well - is that so?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    Speaking of fabric, does anyone have any experience and could comment on the difference in feel between the 1.6 HyperD versus the Robic XL. I'm not interested in extra width, but the feel of fabrics and the water shedding abilities are of interest. I take it that less stretch is more desirable as well - is that so?
    Less stretch is not necessarily more desirable; the right amount of give in a hammock body fabric can increase its degree of comfort and eliminate or alleviate calf ridge, but too much stretch for occupants of a certain size/weight can induce shoulder squeeze or interfere with a flat lay. There is no one-size-fits-all solution -- even if two hammockers are the same size -- because these aspects of comfort can be very subjective and we all have our individual preferences and sensitivities.

That said, I have purchased and made hammocks out of both 1.6 HyperD and 1.7 ROBIC. Both are fantastic midweight fabrics for hammocks. The HyperD definitely has a little more give, but at my 175 pounds it still provides a flat, comfortable lay and good night's sleep. The ROBIC is firmer and definitely more bombproof in general -- hard to beat -- but if you prefer a little compliance in your hammock, you may prefer the HyperD.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I've made hammocks of HyperD 1.6, Robic 1.7 and Hexon 1.6, among others. Two weekends ago I sent the better part of two days jumping back and forth between them. I even included Hexon W1.6 and 2.4. I'm able to setup 4 hammocks simultaneously indoors.

I have a combination of injuries/ailments that are no doubt unique to me, therefore my evaluations may not mean much to anyone else. The small of my back becomes very uncomfortable after x hours if the fabric is either too soft or too hard. I'm 5'4", about 150lbs, though I haven't been on a scale in about 1-1/2 years.

In my relative short time as a hanger (about 1-1/2 years), most of that time has been using a DIY Hexon 1.6, 58 x 11'8". Oh yeah, we hang full time indoors. Sometime over the summer I switched to HyperD as my camping hammock, 58 x 11'.

Jumping from one hammock to the other is not the best way to evaluate, especially since the difference in overall firmness is rather subtle between these particular fabrics. That said, it does allow for impressions. I find spending at least 3 consecutive nights in a hammock is the best way to properly evaluate. If I wake up on the 3rd morning in agony, I know it's not the right fabric for me.

In a nutshell, I'll pretty much echo kitsapcowboy above. The HyperD is the softest. Next up is the Robic. Then the Hexon. I suspect the difference between the Robic and Hexon is splitting hairs for the majority of people.

The "winner" for me is the Robic. And this is based almost solely on the effect that each of these fabrics has on the small of my back after 3 nights. The Hexon is firm enough that it doesn't quite fill and support that tiny area of my back (the 2.4 has the same effect). While the HyperD fills that area, it's implied promise of support falls a bit short for me. Robic 1.7 seems to magically fill the gap and provide the exact amount of support I need.

My daughter says I'm like the princess and the pea.

It also happens that I've been testing some of Just Bill's bridge hammocks. Again, the HyperD proved to be a bit too soft. The double layer Robic 1.7 too firm, but the single layer Robic appears to be just right. Though these hammocks are designed for much larger people, apparently our (my wife included) combination of ailments and how to address them is providing good input for Bill. I'm very impressed with his design...there is sooo much room.

It just happens that a fellow HF member is on his way to my house right now to test out the various fabrics before ordering a new Raven. Maybe he'll also post his impressions here.

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Thank you Gents. I'm six feet tall and weigh 210 lbs, so I guess I will go for the Robic. I have a simply light designs double layer tree runner that I like very much but am now looking for a single layer, not for weight savings but for volume. Every bit helps. I don't hike, I cycle and tour long distances, and bring a tent with me on the longer multi-state trips for sure, and also, lately, as a matter of course lately as I've been told at a few campsites that hanging is not allowed (especially in Florida for some reason) So weight does not bother me a bit, but squeezing two sleep systems into my Carradice bags has me looking for some sort of material that will bear my weight well and not take up any more volume than necessary.

Thanks again.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Since volume is an issue for you, one thing to keep in mind is that robic xl is a wider fabric. You can cut it down narrower to suit your needs. I cut mine for a finished 62" but my next one will be 60" for backpacking. At my height I just don't need the extra width so no point in carrying it. I'll use my 62 indoors.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I spent a few hours with sqidmark this week, trying all of his hammocks. I am planning to replace my Blackbird and I wasn't sure which material I would prefer. Hyper D, Hexon, Robic.. 1.0, 1.1, 1.6 2.4... tried all of them. Even tried a few bridge hammocks...very interesting but not my thing for now. It's all highly personal and I was very fortunate to be able to try them all side by side. Only thing better would be to spend the night in one. Robic has a very distinct texture due to the ripstop pattern and Hexon has a unique soft, almost velvet feel. 1.0 & 1.1 both felt too light for me (190-ish). In the end, Hyper D in 1.6 was my favorite. It had just the right amount of support and the feel of the material was perfect. That said, the Raven with 1.6 Hyper D is my next purchase. t
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    ... the Raven with 1.6 Hyper D is my next purchase.
    If we can help you out in configuring your very own Raven, just let me know.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    Loving my single 1.7 Robic Luxury bridge hammock!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12