Choice of thread(s?) and or needle(s?)

I finally received my material from Extremtextil but I have been facing some problems.

I wanted to try making a double ended stuff sack for a tarp. Fairly simple, sew on some channels for rope, turn around, sew long sides together and flip it over.

However, the Ripstop Nylon prefered to get lodged inside the machine rather than advance. I think this was due to the fabric being too thin/light. Even when sewing 4 or 5 layers together, it prefered to get stuck in the machine than get stiched.

I decided to move onto the heavier ripstop, but now with this one the thread was stitching alright, but it was essentially cutting the thread every time the needle went above the fabric.

I can order some kevlar thread, but I think that might be overkill and delays the project even further. If anyone has ideas about what I should change I am eternally grateful.

Thank you!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    SD Quilt
    Suspension
    Webbing
    2 things to check first. Needle size and thread tension.

Several videos and threads on how to check if those are correct. Look for vids by Tacblades and Jellyfish.

If it is adjustable on your machine try play with the foot pressure and feed dog heights.

Ive used most of the ultralight fabrics from Extex with no problems once I'd got the tension/needle size combo right.

Ive made quilts from Nylon Taffeta downproof 20D 38g/sqm, and Ripstop Nylon PTX Quantum. Also hammocks from Ripstop parachute nylon 50g/sqm all on Extex webpage

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I have found that one of the keys for not sucking the fabric into some machines is to start my stitch further in and back stitch so the end isn't over the opening right away if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    I have found that one of the keys for not sucking the fabric into some machines is to start my stitch further in and back stitch so the end isn't over the opening right away if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1 on flatliner's suggestion.

Also, it sounds like your needle is too small. This is the method I was taught for finding the right size needle:

https://youtu.be/XwynEzDwDoM
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    In addition to the above suggestions, start with a new sharp needle...yes, they are a consumable and need replacing.

Also use a straight stitch needle plate with a single small hole rather than a zigzag plate that has a wide slot. If one is not available for your machine, cover the slot with painter's tape to diy a straight stitch needle plate.

All the above hints are a good start.
    There are a few other things you need to check to eliminate the thread breakage aspect you also mentioned. Here are the steps I taught ll my sewing students for dealing with "Problem children" when sewing:
    1: ALWAYS start every project with a NEW needle of the proper type and size. For thinner ripstops use a size 9 or 10 sharps/microtex needle or at least a universal point. THe thinner the fabric the smaller size the needle.
    2: IF the thread seems to be breaking on the upswing of the needle, check the needle's insertion and be sure the flat side is facing the back of the machine (Or the left side for a side mount needle...those are VERY rare now, though) there is a small scoop inwards on the flat side of the needle called the scarf, if that isn't to the hook side of the bobbin case, the thread gets damaged on the trip around the bobbin and then snaps when pulled taut.
    3: Be sure your tensions are correct. (Yes, there IS a bobbin tension too...but if machine is set up right, you rarely need to change it)
    4: For thin fabrics always start in from the edge, backstitch then go forward to avoiid the edge getting pulled into the machine.
    5: If you get loops on the underside, that is TOP thread. Re thread the machine before starting over again because the top thread has somehow become disengaged from the tension discs.
    Hope these hints help!

• + New Posts