DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle

Real world Silpoly XL use?

I'm wondering how the new Silpoly XL material compares to the 1.1 Silpoly PU4000 in use.

Specifically, I am wondering if it is subject to 'misting' or 'seeping' like silnylon or if it is impervious like the Silpoly PU4000. Please only respond if you have actually used the new Silpoly XL.

I have previous experience with two different silnylon tarps and thought the dampness on the inside of the tarp was condensation and that all tarps would be subject to this phenomenon. However, last trip I had my new DIY 1.1 Silpoly PU4000 and my son had his silnylon right next to mine. Mine was dry as a bone inside and his had the familiar dampness.

So..... I'm wondering if the Silpoly XL acts more like Silnylon or like the PU4000. Or is it a combination of the lack of stretch in the polyester material AND the PU4000 coating that makes it superior in function.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Countrybois; 05-19-2017 at 11:44.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    The standard silpoly is polyester not silnylon and has been in use for a while. Even the newer silpoly outdoorink tarps have been used to no negative problems. Like they say, it's the same but wider.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I'm aware, all Silpoly is polyester. The XL is not the same as any of the previous versions as it is a 100% silicone treatment versus a sil/pu blend.

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Both silnylon and silpoly offered by RSBTR are a sil/pu blend. The original post implies silnylon is a 100% silocone treatment, that isn't the case here. Both silnylon and silpoly have a hydrostatic head rating of 1,500mm, and the new silpoly XL has a rating of 2,500mm. That's a significant improvement, and you will see better results.

That said, I've used a tarp made from this material and haven't noticed any misting through the tarp yet.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by micaudill View Post
    Both silnylon and silpoly offered by RSBTR are a sil/pu blend. The original post implies silnylon is a 100% silocone treatment, that isn't the case here. Both silnylon and silpoly have a hydrostatic head rating of 1,500mm, and the new silpoly XL has a rating of 2,500mm. That's a significant improvement, and you will see better results.

That said, I've used a tarp made from this material and haven't noticed any misting through the tarp yet.
    My mistake on the sil/pu blend. So....

Silnylon with sil/pu (1500 hh)
    Silpoly with sil/pu & PU4000 (4000 hh)
    Silpoly XL with silicone (2500 hh)

I guess I just need to make another tarp and see how the XL performs.

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    All good man. Yep, that looks right to me. I say go for it. I used it two nights in the rain without issue, but it wasn't raining too hard. This weekend looks to be a bit more wet, so hopefully I'll be able to better test it out. If you want to save a few bucks RSBTR has forest green seconds in the outlet. There's a streak in dye on the shiney side, but I don't notice it on mine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Misting has more to do with certain atmospheric conditions. People think the fabric is leaking, when in actuality, its condensation happening on the inside/warmer side, of the tarp.
    When certain weather conditions align (dew point, temperature, lack of air movement), the fabrics will mist.
    Same as a cold beer on a warm day. The beer can is not leaking beer. Water vapor is condensing. On a windy day, the vapor is evaporated fast enough.

When the rain hits the exterior of your tarp, it splashes the interior side moisture off...hence creating a misting effect.
    You see the same effect on colder nights with NO rain. The water vapor/condensation collects and your tarp will be wet. A morning fog will create an 'everything is damp' situation. The fabrics are not at fault. Its just science and weather at work.

So, to answer your specific question. In my experience, the fabrics listed all mist, depending on atmospheric conditions.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 05-19-2017 at 13:56.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Misting has more to do with certain atmospheric conditions. People think the fabric is leaking, when in actuality, its condensation happening on the inside/warmer side, of the tarp.
    When certain weather conditions align (dew point, temperature, lack of air movement), the fabrics will mist.
    Same as a cold beer on a warm day. The beer can is not leaking beer. Water vapor is condensing. On a windy day, the vapor is evaporated fast enough.

When the rain hits the exterior of your tarp, it splashes the interior side moisture off...hence creating a misting effect.
    You see the same effect on colder nights with NO rain. The water vapor/condensation collects and your tarp will be wet. A morning fog will create an 'everything is damp' situation. The fabrics are not at fault. Its just science and weather at work.

So, to answer your specific question. In my experience, the fabrics listed all mist, depending on atmospheric conditions.
    Well... That's what I thought was happening as well, until our last trip out. 2 tarps side by side proved otherwise. The silnylon tarp was moist to the touch on the inside and the Silpoly PU4000 was dry as a bone.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I have regular silpoly 1.1 which is HH 1500. I've never experienced misting with that like I have with silnylon.

The other thing to take into account is the difference between nylon and polyester in terms of how it reacts to water. Nylon absorbs water and stretches when wet. In my experience with nylon tarps (both pu and sil) is that they can get a little "soggy". Polyester is hydrophobic. It naturally repels water. Nylon has the advantage on toughness.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Well... That's what I thought was happening as well, until our last trip out. 2 tarps side by side proved otherwise. The silnylon tarp was moist to the touch on the inside and the Silpoly PU4000 was dry as a bone.

One heavy breather.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast