Hammock
    HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Hickery's Favorite
    Insulation
    UQ: HG 20F
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Ok. I guess I was thinking about it wrong then. I thought the grosgrain was primarily there as added strength with the secondary purpose of providing more security of keeping the water out.

Thanks for the pic too. I made my first tarp with the seam much closer to the edge of the grosgrain and have been wondering how well it would lay down further away from the edge like you have it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    You might be right.. I share only my perspective on it. As I think about it.. the grosgrain and reinforcement patches are providing strength along the length of the ridge seam. If you were inclined to just seam seal the bottom of the ridge seam, would order or placement the seams under and through the ridge make a difference?

With regard to how the grosgrain lays... sometimes I pitch the tarp(s), both twelve footers, low with ridge lines high on the trees, parallel to the hammock suspension. This causes the ends of the ridge to curve up sort of like an elf's shoe (though less dramatic). The grosgrain will splay out a bit flat, and away from the ridge seam, though it still covers.

The tarp with the orange grosgrain cap is the Winter Hex12 and the matching green cap is the standard Hex12.. Identical in every way except for the doors..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I made the Batwing tarp ( https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...son-Tarp/page5 thanks KSC) and the standing seam is likely what I will use on future builds. It has been out a few times and the seam held up fine to normal showers, but I did get into a 14 hours soaking rain and got some weeping at the seam and ended up having to seam seal the ridge.

Not saying it is a weakness, it may have been poor execution on my part, just sharing the experience .... you may have to seam seal it at some point.

The good news is that seam sealing it is somewhat easier than a flat felled seam ....

Brian

Hammock
    MYOG 1.6HyperD 11'
    Tarp
    MYOG Silpoly 12x12
    Suspension
    Venom straps & MSH
    The tarp with the orange grosgrain cap is the Winter Hex12 and the matching green cap is the standard Hex12.. Identical in every way except for the doors..
    These tarps look awesome! Can you tell me what the weights of these two tarps are? With and without the internal pole mod? Are they both 1.1 silpoly? Silnylon?

Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Standing French Seam....[ mind blown ]...

I've been wanting to make a DIY stuff sack (roll top dry bag style) and was stuck on how to make a reasonably strong and water resistant seam along the side of the tube. Seeking that diagram was like an explosion going off in my brain. Thanks for the inspiration!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod337 View Post
    These tarps look awesome! Can you tell me what the weights of these two tarps are? With and without the internal pole mod? Are they both 1.1 silpoly? Silnylon?
    Thanks.. they came out great. Both are 12' in 1.1 SilPoly from RBTR. All corner reinforcements are bonded on rather than sewn. Edges are 1/4" double rolled hem. They are big.. tons of coverage. Almost too big. I am planning to do both of these in an 11' ridge.

They aren't light...

The standard Hex12 is 14.8 oz with ZPacks ZLine guys, Dutch Tarp Worms, split rings and split 13' Zing-It ridgelines, DIY pole pockets, Dutch Hooks & Evo Loops.. all in two piece DIY 0.67 noseeum snake skins.

The Winter Hex12 is 19.4 oz also with with ZPacks ZLine guys, Dutch Tarp Worms, 3/4" Beastie D's at ground corners and 1/2" at the doors, split 13' Zing-It ridgelines, DIY pole pockets, Dutch Hooks & Evo Loops.. all in two piece DIY 0.67 noseeum snake skins.
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanC View Post
    Standing French Seam....[ mind blown ]...

I've been wanting to make a DIY stuff sack (roll top dry bag style) and was stuck on how to make a reasonably strong and water resistant seam along the side of the tube. Seeking that diagram was like an explosion going off in my brain. Thanks for the inspiration!
    No better resource for making stuff sacks than Jellyfish's Vids. I don't think she covers a roll top in that vid, but having done that recently on a DCF bear bag, I can say that's the easier part of the build.

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    Hi Chknbone,

Now have 2 tarps done this way and no leaks without seamseal. grosgrain is kind of heavy so I have used some 7/8 poly ribbon that I picked up at Joann's. the reason for having the final line going between the first two is to have any stress above a place that might open up the stiching and allow rain get it.

These have been used using a 2 day full deluge of rain without a single drip. can't say the same for my french seam, even with a good seamseal

This is nothing new, Brandon at Warbonnet has been doing this for years. no seam sealing required
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12