yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps

Cloudburst modded to Superfly?

the spec sheets for Cloudburst and Superfly list them both as 11' ridgeline length and 10' width. Exact same dimensions. The Cloudburst however is 1.5 ounces lighter, and with the current sale going on - much cheaper than the Superfly.

It seems to me that you should be able to add appropriately spaced tie outs to allow for "doors" to be created with the Cloudburst. Has anyone tried this?

*edit*

now that I look at it...the Mamajamba has the exact dimensions as Cloudburst and Superfly as well but is 4 oz lighter than Cloudburst and 5.5 oz lighter than Superfly. What accounts for the weight discrepancies? Yes, I'm comparing the same fabric weights...20d to 20d and 30d to 30d.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    the spec sheets for Cloudburst and Superfly list them both as 11' ridgeline length and 10' width. Exact same dimensions. The Cloudburst however is 1.5 ounces lighter, and with the current sale going on - much cheaper than the Superfly.

It seems to me that you should be able to add appropriately spaced tie outs to allow for "doors" to be created with the Cloudburst. Has anyone tried this?

*edit*

now that I look at it...the Mamajamba has the exact dimensions as Cloudburst and Superfly as well but is 4 oz lighter than Cloudburst and 5.5 oz lighter than Superfly. What accounts for the weight discrepancies? Yes, I'm comparing the same fabric weights...20d to 20d and 30d to 30d.
    While I don't own any of these tarps, I think the differences probably come down to tieouts and fabric. The Mamajamba has the fewest tieouts (4) and looks to have cat cuts which would reduce overall fabric despite sharing basic dimensions. Next, the Cloudburst has a few more tieouts (6) but less aggressive deflection, if any. Lastly, the Superfly has the most tieouts (8) and probably the same build as the Cloudburst. In light of all of that, I think the tieouts probably account for a very slight weight difference with the cat cuts on the Mamajamba making up the rest of the difference.

As to your original question about converting the Cloudburst to have doors, I'll leave that to someone more experienced.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle

*edit*

You are only accounting for 2 dimensions. The shape of each of the tarps is different. One is a 'winter' tarp with added material for doors, one is a rectangle tarp, and one is a hex tarp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    You are only accounting for 2 dimensions. The shape of each of the tarps is different. One is a 'winter' tarp with added material for doors, one is a rectangle tarp, and one is a hex tarp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Agreed, that would be the fabric difference I mentioned. Warbonnet doesn't provide images of the tarp layouts, but we'd definitely see some subtle differences in the cuts for each tarp. I can only assume their layouts are comparable to the other major tarps on the market.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Here is a picture from all Warbonnet tarps hung over each other:

From top down it's the Edge, the Mamajamba, the Cloudburst and the Superfly. While the SF, the MJ and the CB all have an 11' ridgeline and are 10' wide, you can see that they are cut differently. The MJ is a SF minus the doors. The CB is similar to a hex tarp, just turned on its head. You could add tie-outs and create doors, but they wouldn't have the same kind of coverage as those of the SF. The weight difference is mostly down to the amount of fabric used.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    That's a great shot showing the differences!

Fantastic picture! That's very helpful. Back to the OP, it would be interesting to see a Cloudburst modded with doors. Clearly it wouldn't be as roomy as the SF, but still might be doable.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies

*edit*

the Superfly has doors. the Cloudburst is square cut, the MJ is hex with Cat cuts...

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    the Superfly has doors. the Cloudburst is square cut, the MJ is hex with Cat cuts...
    Yeah I know. I realized after I posted it that the stated dimensions don't reflect the extra fabric for doors

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeah I know. I realized after I posted it that the stated dimensions don't reflect the extra fabric for doors
    or weight...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast