RSBTR DIY Kit
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Dutch straps/cinch

Outdoor Vitals - 20* Aerie Underquilt

Short story, short. This product is awful and so is the company. I purchased this on Amazon.

First, it came without any suspension hardware. I contacted the company and was summarily ignored. Using YouTube videos and pictures on the net, I rigged up my own suspension using 1/8 shock cord that I had in my supplies.

Also, having taken it out of the stuff sack and letting it decompress for weeks, it does not loft. It looks pathetic and nothing at all like the pictures they show on Amazon. And it's not even close to lofting the way my Hammock Gear UQ lofts.

I did a solo hang in Northern Arizona, where the temps got into the low 30s and my entire back was ice the first night using this as an underquilt. The pictures tell the obvious story of why. I had to get up in the middle of the night and switch to my Hammock Gear 20*, using this Aerie and a wool blanket as top insulation.

I contacted the company again, not just through email, but have also posted to their YouTube videos. If you have positive things to say, they respond to you. If not, again, you're ignored.

Companies like this are a plague. Please don't support Outdoor Vitals until they begin to provide the support they brag about in their YouTube videos. Lifetime warranty = a lifetime of being ignored when you have a problem.

20170512_115135.jpg20170512_115335.jpg

Compare the OV UQ on the left to the HG UQ on the right. You can see the inadequate down usage. They are clearly skimping in the name of profit.
    Last edited by MrBunzy; 05-12-2017 at 16:05.
    Red Belt Grand Master Barista. Don't ask me about it, or there will be coffee made.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    I have also commented on the videos and sent comments to their [email protected] address. No responses.
    The hammocks are small and will most likely be very uncomfortable. I hope they can start to listen and improve. The idea is a way to get the price down but price is not everything. I will gladly pay more to get service and quality from a cottage vendor.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    I'll be interested to see if anyone can proceed a positive testimony about their experience with the OV products or customer service.

It seems as if there have been enough complaints to put them firmly outside of the cottage bubble that we all like to operate within. You know: Good products. Good customer service.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug
    Dang, that's a bummer . I do have 2 of their 20 degree sleeping bags for the wife and I when we go to ground. They are adequate and I'm very satisfied, of course that is nothing of a comparison to the craftsmanship needed for hanging. I have been eyeing up the aerie , but that picture of the down is .. horrendous . I guess it really makes me respect even more our small knit group of hammock vendors. I will definitely only go with the established bests' for the hammocking!
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    I bought the 30*, zipper tab broke first night. I DID receive a response that a repair kit was coming and it did after a while. It was a aftermarket tab that clicks on to it. It never worked, broke off the tiny nub for the click lock. I used a cheap thin car key ring and while it is a little finicky it works. After looking at I didn't even attemet to use as a under. I do use it as a top. I gave away a 40* Walmart sleeping bag to a new scout which is what I used to use for a top Q.Bottom line, I won't buy anything else from them. All marketing, no product.

I have an Aerie 20 degree sleep system. It has taken me down to under 10 degrees when used as a pod and with an EE 20 degree top quilt. I have no real complaints. The zippers can be a little sticky but otherwise it has worked well. The only shortcoming for me is that I can't really use it with my WB BB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    I have an Aerie 20 degree sleep system. It has taken me down to under 10 degrees when used as a pod and with an EE 20 degree top quilt. I have no real complaints. The zippers can be a little sticky but otherwise it has worked well. The only shortcoming for me is that I can't really use it with my WB BB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Storm you have reminded me that I did use mine as a "pod", sort of. i put it on my foot end with a TQ and UQ much like Shug shows it in a video with his down jacket. It was in the teens and I am all about the warm feet!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    NeoAirTrkr/KeltyDn
    Suspension
    NylWebg+WhoopieSlg

Outdoor Vitals - 20* Aerie Underquilt

I came across these 20* aeries and was wondering about how well they would do. I initially started thinking I would be able to leave my down bag I use as a TQ at home and go pod mode. Being in the market for a decent UQ at a reasonable price similar to this, what would you folks point me towards? I know you get what you pay for so how about a good better best approach? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishHuntCampDad View Post
    I came across these 20* aeries and was wondering about how well they would do. I initially started thinking I would be able to leave my down bag I use as a TQ at home and go pod mode. Being in the market for a decent UQ at a reasonable price similar to this, what would you folks point me towards? I know you get what you pay for so how about a good better best approach? Thanks

I slept out in itmid-March as a test. Did not film, just getting to know it. Got down to 23ºF.
    They sent me the 20º Aerie. Set it up as a UQ and a pod to see how it hung.
    As a pod it is pretty good...you can get on an angle in the hammock. I'm 6' and was ok. As in most pods there is a gap up by the head over left shoulder for me. But slip a TQ inside and you could for sure get down to some colder temps.

As a UQ you have to set it up just right. I stretched my suspension tightly and hooked it up by cinch buckles on hammock suspension to get it to stretch out and get it to come up right against my buttocks and back.
    Slept in a partial pod arrangement. Set up like pod but unzipped to knees.
    Seemed to work best. Kept the bottom up against me that way.
    I crawled in around 10PM and slept warm until about 4:30 AM. Started to get a bit cold on the buttocks then.
    As it functions in a bag, pod and UQ and blanket so the 18 ounces of down gets distributed on top, sides and bottom. Less on the bottom as a normal 20º UQ.

The beauty of the Aerie is that a person can use it an a bag, pod, UQ or top blanket.

Zippers are a bit sticky...you have to be vigilant in holding back the inner zip tape and top flap. I hate zippers!

Seems to be baffled and not sewn through.

All in all a fairly good piece of gear for all that it does.
    If looking for JUST a UQ then I don't think this is it. But if needed a piece of gear that is Multi Function then for the price it is pretty good.
    Made in China.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I don't understand why you've had a bad experience with the Aerie. I actually slept in mine last night with no problems. Only in 40 degrees but still I only had on shorts and I was toasty. Mine lofts to 3 inches in less than 30 minutes and I've always had a good experience with Outdoor Vitals products and customer service.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast