DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Have any of you who were able to buy these poles made an attempt at resizing them? I was able to remove the end cap from one of the poles expecting to find the shock cord attached to it but it isn't. The shock cord is buried some w where in the section. Anything you can share is appreciated.

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk
    The shock cord is knotted and has a small washer on it that catches on the insert in the other end.

If you have enough cord, you can stretch the cord out and clamp it off then shove it through so the knot comes out the other end. If that makes sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    So here's scoop if anyone is looking to modify the pole length. The pole ends are pressed in.. pretty tight I must say. There was no way I was getting them out without destroying them and since I did want to reuse them I had to be careful.

Ultimately, I put the pole in a mini-vice with soft jaws and used a cut-off wheel to cut the pole material, taking care not to cut too deeply into the end fitting. At that point the fitting pulled out.

I was surprised to see that, unlike the fittings you can order from Quest or Dutch, there is no eye to accommodate the shock cord. hmmm... what's up with that? The cord is held in place with a small washer that is threaded onto the cord and secured with a simple overhand knot in the shock cord. The washer is a snug fit in the pole section and sits on the edge of the male insert in the pole. Nice and easy.

I am using one pole for the Under-Tarp setup on a WB MamaJamba, that has 2QZQ pole pockets. Nine sections. Eight are male/female & one is female/female. I decided to use a vinyl end cap rather than the end fitting. The fit is perfect for the pole pocket and I will use the fittings on the second pole which is going to be cut into two poles for over-the-ridge-line use..

I had been using seven sections of fiberglass poles about 15" long, which were working fine, but were a little too whippy, were loose and weighed more. The Easton poles are nine sections at just over 13" each, are stiffer so the tarp won't cave in with the slightest breeze, are FAR easier to assemble and won't roll all over the place.. plus a weight savings of almost 3 oz. So, more convenient, more effective and lighter...

Total pole length for both poles.. 108.5"
    Easton poles.. nine sections.. 4.7 oz / 138g
    Fiberglass poles.. seven sections 7.2 oz / 204g
    Last edited by MikekiM; 07-09-2017 at 21:17.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    Thanks for the details Mike. The poles still seem like a good deal, but not plug and play as one would expect.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gunz View Post
    Thanks for the details Mike. The poles still seem like a good deal, but not plug and play as one would expect.
    I guess it depends.. lots of folks are making use of them right from the vendor with no modification. In the long run, I got enough pole sections to make both the two over the RL poles AND the under-tarp pole, for less than just one of those setups would have cost from the normal vendors... Plus I got to put a DIY stamp on it.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Has anyone used these on a UGQ Winter Dream? I believe the poles they sell are ~132" so these would be 2" shorter. I imagine since the poles lean towards the center some once they are installed that being slightly shorter won't make much of a difference.

Also any coupon codes going on right now? I signed up for their mailing list to get the 20% off coupon but nothing ever came.

Hammock
    Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Fickle1 View Post
    Has anyone used these on a UGQ Winter Dream? I believe the poles they sell are ~132" so these would be 2" shorter. I imagine since the poles lean towards the center some once they are installed that being slightly shorter won't make much of a difference.

Also any coupon codes going on right now? I signed up for their mailing list to get the 20% off coupon but nothing ever came.
    Well I went ahead and ordered them. I will let you all know how they work out with the winter dream.

As far as the coupon code goes, I emailed them and they gave me the code "Welcome20" for 20% my first order. I don't think it expires so feel free to try it out.

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    I can't directly answer your question, but using a continuous ridgeline and Prussic knots, which is what I'm now doing, you can adjust the location of the center of the poles which changes the length to the edges.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Just a heads up. I just got an email for 25% off online orders. Today only (8/9) There is no coupon code, the discount is applied automatically to your cart. It saves $4 a set for the poles.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Shipping is more than I want to pay. But a great deal on the poles.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Shipping is more than I want to pay. But a great deal on the poles.
    Yeah shipping is dumb, but even with the high shipping, it still came out cheaper than anywhere else I could find. I ordered 2 sets. Just got my WD12 this week but haven't had a chance to set it up yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast