Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I use the ol' 12x9.5 Chinook too hang side by side with my kiddo with no problems, even with heavy rain. We dont use a spreader bar, but I know theres just some people you don't wanna hang that close to, he's only 3 though so he still thinks daddy's cool. But I could see a blowing rain to be an issue on the ends. I have no way of closing it up with us both under there.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Update: Overnight

The ridge line seam "works". No leaks and a nice, crisp pitch that stayed taut all night through sporadic showers. Apparently, I can still "flat-fell"... I had a good night's sleep and stayed bone dry. I'm happy with the coverage and function.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Your stitching was a little crooked on your corner tieout, which likely will increase your overall weight .000456 grams due to increased thread length. Complete fail on your part. HAHAHAHAHA!!! What a beautiful tarp!!! I have yet to tackle a tarp, which would be referred to as a Total Tarp Tackle. I love the versatility of your tarp. I fully understand your initial diatribe on the general community, although I gotta say, this hammock community is similar to the woodturning community: It's the most welcoming and helpful group of folks in the field!! There are so many ways to do stuff, just like there are a million ways to hold a bowl blank on a lathe, there are a million different suspension methods and tarp and hammock styles. I still don't get why anyone would want a Warbonnet hammock with it's shelf, but people do and it makes me think about trying out different hammocks all the time. I love this community!

OK, I am done. Keep up the good work and one of these days I'll have to have my daughter help me make a video of something I did on the thread injector.
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Another wonderful tarp. I picked up some of the same Silpoly, but I'm looking to make a simple Asym out of it. It won't look as good as your work though.

Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by curlymaple42 View Post
    Your stitching was a little crooked on your corner tieout, which likely will increase your overall weight .000456 grams due to increased thread length. Complete fail on your part. HAHAHAHAHA!!!
    I noticed that too; my heart is heavy with shame...

YWhat a beautiful tarp!!! I have yet to tackle a tarp, which would be referred to as a Total Tarp Tackle. I love the versatility of your tarp. I fully understand your initial diatribe on the general community, although I gotta say, this hammock community is similar to the woodturning community: It's the most welcoming and helpful group of folks in the field!! There are so many ways to do stuff, just like there are a million ways to hold a bowl blank on a lathe, there are a million different suspension methods and tarp and hammock styles. I still don't get why anyone would want a Warbonnet hammock with it's shelf, but people do and it makes me think about trying out different hammocks all the time. I love this community! OK, I am done. Keep up the good work and one of these days I'll have to have my daughter help me make a video of something I did on the thread injector.
    Thank you, CM. Your points are very well taken. We all work together to make HF a better place and, in turn, have more enjoyment out in the woods...

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Cheers to that!! Recalling the NEHHA hang a couple weeks back. And looking forward to the paddle in hang coming up!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY 1.9 PU nylon
    Insulation
    DIY APEX 5.0 TQ/BQ
    Suspension
    Becket or Whoopie
    Images
    I agree 100% on the HYOH mentality. I do things very different than many of you and I know that my way is the best way. Put more correctly it is the best way for me. It is so easy to misinterpret mood and intentions with typed words on a forum. Please everyone remember that true civility is not just the lack of offending, but also of being offended. Misunderstanding is as much a part of this type of communication as poor grammar and misspelling. Peace be with you all.

kitsapcowboy - I really enjoy the ingenuity that you produce. I'm currently working on a very similar project. You wouldn't happen to have a picture with the doors closed would you?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    Another wonderful tarp. I picked up some of the same Silpoly, but I'm looking to make a simple Asym out of it. It won't look as good as your work though. Thanks for sharing!
    Much obliged, geneaut. To date I have only used the 1.1 oz silpoly for two-piece hex and winter tarps. However, I did purchase a remnant of the slightly heavier SilpolyPU4000 a while back, and that turned into a great asym tarp (and some beaks); the PU4K has distinct "right" and "wrong" sides (which made it less efficient for the beaks), unlike the standard silpoly, with which one need not worry about which sides are up. It also has a crisper, less stretchy feel to it than the standard silpoly, so my asym was very easy to sew, but I want to make a similar minimalist tarp out of the standard silpoly at some point, since there are so many colors from which to choose.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Troll View Post
    I use the ol' 12x9.5 Chinook too hang side by side with my kiddo with no problems, even with heavy rain. We dont use a spreader bar, but I know theres just some people you don't wanna hang that close to, he's only 3 though so he still thinks daddy's cool. But I could see a blowing rain to be an issue on the ends. I have no way of closing it up with us both under there.
    This is good to know. I've never tried the "wide trees" bethod of hanging in tandem without a spreader bar, but I like having an option that doesn't require special hardware. And you're right... I should try it while my little girl is still my little girl...

Cheers to that!! Recalling the NEHHA hang a couple weeks back. And looking forward to the paddle in hang coming up!!
    Whoooo buddy!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CorwinC View Post
    I agree 100% on the HYOH mentality...I really enjoy the ingenuity that you produce. I'm currently working on a very similar project. You wouldn't happen to have a picture with the doors closed would you?
    Hey, thanks. When I get ready to take the tarp down, I'll try to remember to re-pitch it in storm mode and snap a photo. When I do, I'll post it here.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cat v. Bat

Diagram showing dimensions of the Cat Tangle tarp with shape of my previous Batwing 12' x 12' DIY all-season tarp superimposed for comparison; one can see how much more aggressive the cutbacks on the Cat Tangle are with the "doors" folded back into "hex mode". The differences in both coverage and interior space when fully enclosed are fairly dramatic, but so to is the difference in the cost of the build at full retail price for the tarp materials; the silpoly fabric to make the Cat Tangle costs less than $48, compared to $85 for the Batwing's fabric, a savings of 44%, the costs of ancillary components being roughly approximate with similar techniques for finishing the perimeter. There is also a significant 11-ounce (300-gram) weight savings with the smaller tarp.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-12-2017 at 09:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast