Clark NX270, 11ft DH Sparrow x2
    Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2

Need an UQ for my new Sparrow

My Sparrow has been shipped, to arrive next week.

Like to title said, I'm in the market for an UQ; I had the Smurfs make it with both Tie Out Hooks and UQ Hooks. I'm not a gram counter nor do I plan on doing alot of long distance hiking so weight isnt an issue. I have been eyeing a Loco Libre Carolina Reaper Minus 4O°. Yes that's lots of insulation (and of course $$$), but I figure in for a penny in for a pound as the bulk of the cost into making an UQ is labor anyways, plus I know I won't freeze my off hanging during a MN winter using this.

This being said, before I pull the trigger on one and wait 16 weeks, I thought I would ask here to see what everyone else has discovered works for them on this hang.
    Last edited by firemedic5586; 05-11-2017 at 20:11.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    Minus 40 degree UQ? That must be a beast to behold!

I don't have any experience camping in extreme cold, although watching Shug's winter hang videos in the minus temps is fascinating. You guys are made of some stern stuff.

Don't have gear from Loco Libre, although they seem like a fine cottage industry, and if anyone else is constructing UQ's for - 40, I've missed that.

As I have understand it, Dream Hammocks and UGQ go together particularly well. Might be worth checking UGQ, contacting if necessary, to see what they may offer.

Happy shopping, and congrats on the new hammock.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I dont have any experiance with any of LocoLibre quilts but i am sure they are very fine quilts and i have heard nothing but good about them,, That being said, i am a fan of UGQ QUILTS, They do pair perfectly with Dream Hammocks and i really love my Zepplin uq!
    I know that Paul loves to do speacial projects like building quilts with fancy patterns and making deep winter stuffed ones as well, let's face it, UGQ is a Michigan based company and they are no stranger to extreme cold weather.
    I have never spent one night cold since i got my UGQ's, neither has my wife and she has the Sparrow.

Hammock
    Clark NX270, 11ft DH Sparrow x2
    Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2
    I called Paul at UGQ yesterday as they have the website locked down for no orders until June.. As Zilla said, he can/has/and will do custom builds. So I emailed him what I wanted in a -40 Zepplin and he will be getting back to me with a Quote. While I was at it, I have one UGQ's rental Zeplins coming my way for next Fri-Sun. I have a feeling I will be getting part of my rental feel back as a discount towards a purchase .

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I have more quilts from Loco Libre Gear (currently waiting on #4) than from any other cottage vendor, and I absolutely love them all because they show such thoughtful design and impeccable finish work. George is a true craftsman. I also love the fact that he offers a very high degree of customization on most models.

I know that, prior to the introduction of the Reaper series, Shug braved the Minnesota winter snug in his LLG "Mucho" Habanero underquilt. A -40 Reaper should see you through just about anything you're crazy enough to go out in, because George doesn't make cold quilts and yours is the big daddy of them all. Your real danger is going to be getting too hot in that quilt during milder conditions, so I hope you get back on the LLG website and order a more temperate UQ as a backup...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images

Hammock
    DH Sparrow/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Msc
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetles
    I have had 7 of george's llg quilts. Nothing but good things to say. Here is my new 40° Reaper on my sparrow....a-mazing!!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Unless you ONLY plan on winter camping a minus 40 UQ seems pretty impractical to me. If the budget allows, I've had good luck stacking quilts when it's cold. At 15 below I had a 0 degree Hammock Gear UQ over a 40 degree Arrowhead Equipment quilt and woke up sweating.

On my Sparrow I've found that Arrowhead Potomac works great on the Sparrow since it's cut for an asymmetric Hennessey. The secondary suspension allows it to be angled to match the lay very well and there are exposed shock cords that line up with the Sparrow's pack hooks. This was discussed here and here. Hammock Gear underquilts also work very well. I highly recommend them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Agree with Grumpy. Would sugest getting a quilt that matches your most typical conditions. I am fortunate enough to camp pretty regulaly throughout the year, which for me means usual temps in a range from 20's - 90's. If i use a 0 degree underquilt at temps that are abover 50, i'm too warm. HYOH, just sharing my experience.

BTW: the Sparrow is an amazing bit of kit. The UQ hooks make UQ set up a breeze. I've not had an issue with UQ placement since moving to the Sparrow.

Good luck!
    Bruce

My cold weather quilt for my Sparrow is a Hammock Gear Incubator 0 degree. It works like a charm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast