DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks

DIY Chameleon peak loft idea

I saw Dutch's peak loft during his Chameleon Kickstarter campaign, and I really like the idea; more so than a peak bag. I'm thinking about building something similar for some of my DIY hammocks out extra noseeum mesh I have. For those that already have seen it, is the fabric just a diamond? My thought was to mark where I would place the d rings on the hammock body, lay in the hammock, and measure the distance in between those points, adding some length to make a pouch. I'll make the diamond symmetrical. Think that'll work? Any thoughts as to how big I should make it? I've got a couple thoughts to try to minimize hardware, but I have yet to fully develop my ideas. I'm still brainstorming at this point.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It is a diamond and symmetrical. Run shock cord through the hams and have them be adjustable with a cord lock or a line lock. That will make it more like a basket. Most of all have fun with it.
    Last edited by Dutch; 05-09-2017 at 05:53.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Black Mamba or Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY Hex or WB Edge
    Insulation
    BanditTQ PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    It is a diamond and symmetrical. Run shock cord through the hams and have them be adjustable with a cord lock or a line lock. That will make it more like a basket. Most of all have fun with it.
    It's awesome to see Dutch supporting this endeavor! Not surprising. Just awesome. I do really like the peak shelf myself. I used it this past weekend at a music festival to hide my under quilt and some of my other things during the day. You can cinch it up there with the ridge line cord lock and you hardly notice it! At night I through my headlamp, socks and some other things in it.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I haven't had my chameleon out yet beyond a quick hang just to drool over it. I love the peak loft though. I've tried peak bags in the past and never really liked them. I'm also not a huge ridgeline organizer fan since I don't bring a lot of stuff in the hammock with me. The loft though....love it.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Thanks Dutch! With that knowledge I should be good to go. I'm sure mine won't turn out quite as polished as yours, but it'll be a fun project for sure!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Cool. Go figure.....a vendor freely shares ideas about something he sells - all the while his business keeps growing by leaps and bounds. Customer loyalty soars!

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Its pretty awesome to see Dutch helping the DIY'ers on here. Does anyone know what kind of hooks & D-rings that are used on the Chameleon? I'm trying to build a peak shelf & hopefully soon build a Chameleon or Dream like hammock soon. I love the different ways to connect things on the Chameleon. Thanks to Dutch for bringing us cool new gear & ways for us to make our hanging a lot better.

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Hanger View Post
    Its pretty awesome to see Dutch helping the DIY'ers on here. Does anyone know what kind of hooks & D-rings that are used on the Chameleon? I'm trying to build a peak shelf & hopefully soon build a Chameleon or Dream like hammock soon. I love the different ways to connect things on the Chameleon. Thanks to Dutch for bringing us cool new gear & ways for us to make our hanging a lot better.
    It's all hardware he sells. For the attachment to the continuous loop he uses a mitten hook (https://dutchwaregear.com/mitten-hooks.html). For the sliding attachment point on the ridgeline, it's a mini squeeze hook (https://dutchwaregear.com/mini-squeeze-hook.html). To attach it to the sides of the hammock he uses the line lock hook (https://dutchwaregear.com/line-lock-hook.html), which provides a way to adjust the tension of the shock cord. And for the attachment points he uses D-rings (https://dutchwaregear.com/nylon-d-rings.html).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    What size diamond are we looking at? Trying to try my hand at one as well.

Thumbs up Love me some Dutch

You are beyond awesome Dutch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast