Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/ UCR

My first DIY hammock questions

Should I use calendered or uncalendered hexon 1.6 or hyperD 1.0 calendered or uncalendered for my first DIY hammock?

I plan on making an 11 foot hammock that has whipped ends. Which is softer? What kind of stretch do they have? Does the calender make a difference besides being down proof? Would I need to hem the edges on the fabric?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Ultralight Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Hey diablonab! Congrats on starting your first hammock! I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but here is my .02. I did a DIY double layer hammock and used uncalendared Hyper D for the outer layer and calendared Hyper D for the inner layer. I chose to go calendared for the inner layer because I like the feeling of the fabric more (probably because it reminds me of the feel of a quality down sleeping bag). You can do it either way and it won't impact the practical usability of your hammock. A couple of notes;

1. If you choose to use calendared material for your hammock it's going to be really slick, meaning you'll tend to slide around in it more than on uncalendared nylon. This can be annoying in the middle of the night.

2. Calendared material also doesn't breathe as much as uncalendared (because the heat closes a lot of the small gaps between the nylon threads). If you do most of your hanging in warmer weather, this is something to consider!

I think the stretch is about the same for both fabrics. Stretch has more to do with the ripstop pattern than the heat treatment. Examples: Plain nylon is going to stretch more (in the thread bias direction) than standard ripstop. Standard ripstop is going to stretch more than Hyper D....Hyper D is going to stretch more than Robic....etc.

No matter what fabric you choose, you will have to hem the edges if you want the hammock to last. If you don't hem the edges, it will fray and snag and tear much more easily.

I hope this was helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions and GOOD LUCK! I look forward to seeing your finished product. If you want to see the DIY hammock I mentioned, here is a link: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...gibson+hammock
    If you can't laugh at yourself don't worry about it...someone will come along to help you out!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/ UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujibilly View Post
    Hey diablonab! Congrats on starting your first hammock! I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but here is my .02. I did a DIY double layer hammock and used uncalendared Hyper D for the outer layer and calendared Hyper D for the inner layer. I chose to go calendared for the inner layer because I like the feeling of the fabric more (probably because it reminds me of the feel of a quality down sleeping bag). You can do it either way and it won't impact the practical usability of your hammock. A couple of notes;

1. If you choose to use calendared material for your hammock it's going to be really slick, meaning you'll tend to slide around in it more than on uncalendared nylon. This can be annoying in the middle of the night.

2. Calendared material also doesn't breathe as much as uncalendared (because the heat closes a lot of the small gaps between the nylon threads). If you do most of your hanging in warmer weather, this is something to consider!

I think the stretch is about the same for both fabrics. Stretch has more to do with the ripstop pattern than the heat treatment. Examples: Plain nylon is going to stretch more (in the thread bias direction) than standard ripstop. Standard ripstop is going to stretch more than Hyper D....Hyper D is going to stretch more than Robic....etc.

No matter what fabric you choose, you will have to hem the edges if you want the hammock to last. If you don't hem the edges, it will fray and snag and tear much more easily.

I hope this was helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions and GOOD LUCK! I look forward to seeing your finished product. If you want to see the DIY hammock I mentioned, here is a link: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...gibson+hammock
    Thank you, Fujibilly! This really helps out a lot. Also, nice job with your hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/ UCR
    UPDATE:

I've decided to use hexon 1.6 from MakeYourGear.com. I will also add knotty mods to both the head and foot end. The hammock will have whipped ends as I will be hand sewing everything. (I'll be working at a boy scout camp while I work on this project. That means no sewing machine.) I may also decide to make it a double layer for my sleeping pad, but I don't know yet. That may be too much work to hand sew.

I'll be sure to post updates as I progress.

Hi Diablonab, I just ordered the material (1.7 Robic) for my first DIY hammock yesterday! How do you plan on doing your knotty mods? Are you just going to do cigarette burns like knottys original plan or is there a more elegant design. Also, are you doing knottys on both sides of the head and the foot end?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/ UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Drgreenthumb81 View Post
    Hi Diablonab, I just ordered the material (1.7 Robic) for my first DIY hammock yesterday! How do you plan on doing your knotty mods? Are you just going to do cigarette burns like knottys original plan or is there a more elegant design. Also, are you doing knottys on both sides of the head and the foot end?
    Drgreenthumb81, I was thinking of using Jellyfish Report's diy hammock knotty mod design. Here's a link to her video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Fo86snPA_oc
    I hadn't thought about knotty's original design. I'm also only doing the head and foot ends on opposite sides because I'll be hand sewing it at camp this summer. But, burned holes might make it easier for me because I don't have a sewing machine.

• + New Posts