Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3-5 day backpacking trip on the Superior Hiking Trail in August

Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, as I'm looking for advice and I'm not trying to organize a group hang as many of these posts seem to be doing. So if this is the wrong subforum please let me know. Anyway here goes:
    I'm planning to do a 3-5 day backpacking trip with a couple friends on the SHT this August. However, I am a total newbie when it comes to trip planning. We'll be totally fine once we get on the trail, but I just don't know exactly how to get started in doing that. Does anyone know of some good section to hike? We're probably set to do 5-10 miles a day, if that helps. Where do you reccomend we go? Would you recommend shuttling to a trailhead and hiking back to the car? Or doing a there-and-back kind of deal? Sorry for my complete lack of knowledge, but thanks for your advice!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Based on as much info i could find, the stretch from Grand Marais to Caribou Falls is the most scenic.
    It's a 70 mile hike that I'll be doing the 1st week of July, 6 nights on the trail. Look at the website for shuttle service : http://superiorhikingshuttle.com.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by backpackerguy01 View Post
    Based on as much info i could find, the stretch from Grand Marais to Caribou Falls is the most scenic.
    It's a 70 mile hike that I'll be doing the 1st week of July, 6 nights on the trail. Look at the website for shuttle service : http://superiorhikingshuttle.com.

70 miles is a bit long... Is there a shorter version of that?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

You can hop off the trail whenever you'd like, Just arrange it with the shuttle

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug
    If you have at least two vehicles you can skip the shuttle and save a few bucks. You could do the bean and bear loops up through George h Crosby state park, you could also start around gooseberry state park , go through split rock (although there is a detour there right now for a couple miles), continue on through bean and bear. There are a number of options, personally I would not miss the bean and bear and continue through George h Crosby state park...a fantastic stretch worth a lifetime of memories guarenteeeeed!
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

A nice section is from the Cross River North to Cascade. Park at Skou Rd and hike out at Cascade. The distance is around 40 miles. At the Cascade wayside, hitch back to your car.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Grab the book if you have not already done so: http://shta.org/store/products/category/books/

Last fall, I parked at beaver bay trail head and grabbed the shuttle to Finland trail head and hiked back to car. Glad I did as I was a day early and was able to hike out and back a bit further south. Finland to beaver bay was about 32 mile iirc and it was great. I hear tell that it had one of the more challenging sections of the trail. This was my first multiple night solo hike and it wasn't too bad at all (@45 years of age and a good 50 lbs overweight for my height - base pack weight of 18lbs plus 4 days of food).

I just got back yesterday from a multi trail hop with two cars. Castle danger to goose berry state park, then bean/bear lake to split rock, then split rock to beaver bay, then spur trail from Caribou lake to lake Agnes. This was with other guys who liked to drink beer, cook with cast iron and carry 50 packs. Fun, but a whole different experience!

I'd nail down what kind of hiking you want to do, and go from there. When I was solo, I looked for sections where I'd find a camp site every 8 miles or so - that gave me enough time to enjoy the trail and not feel rushed. Ymmv ...

Was the trail really wet?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    So many good sections. Pick one you like.....use the Superior Shuttle to take you up or down the trail to start walking and then you are committed to getting back to the car.
    Here are some of my trips on the SHT if you want to get a feel for a particular area....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zwwDh-P9J4-HoV
    Check the website for the trail and get the guidebook for sure to help plan.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Yes. Trail was very wet. I purchased boot rubbers/Galoshes from the local farm supply store for about $20 - best piece of equipment on this trip. I was afraid that they would rip or get holes, but they lasted the 30 or so miles and are still water tight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast