Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chomping at the bit...c'mon Chameleon

Hi all,

First, I bought a recreational hammock at Costco - magic, no really! almost like being on a sailboat on the ocean - the total relaxation, vacating of the mind, watching the clouds...
    Then, I found out people camp in hammocks. Gotta get a camping hammock...but which one? Hard to tell what would work in my climate and probable destinations but lightweight is most welcome but not at the exclusion of comfort.

I considered a Hummingbird, Blackbird, Dream Dangerbird and then I saw Shug demo the Chameleon. And I fell, hard (for the hammock, not Shug - don't get me wrong, he has his charms). So I gotta wait now, you know, for June - when the Chameleon becomes available.

I am in a backpacking course with Sierra Club, the practice trip is in June, in Sequoia National Park and looks like I'll be in a tent again. But SC encourages that in all honesty. It won't be the last time since I love the desert, the Channel Islands (no trees on some of them).

I did take advantage of an opportunity to buy (not order) an underquilt by HammockGear - I couldn't be happier with it, buttery soft. And I already own a GoLite top quilt. Tried both on the Costco hammock and wow was I cozy. COZY! Lovin' this hammock life!

Now I'm looking around my bedroom eyeing where can I put in a couple eyebolts....

Anyways, thank you for creating this forum and I look forward to learning from all of you.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    While you're waiting on the chameleon you could just buy a Dutch netless 11footer with bottom entry bugnet. About $110 for everything

Hammock
    DIY Black Mamba or Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY Hex or WB Edge
    Insulation
    BanditTQ PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosomane View Post
    Hi all,

First, I bought a recreational hammock at Costco - magic, no really! almost like being on a sailboat on the ocean - the total relaxation, vacating of the mind, watching the clouds...
    Then, I found out people camp in hammocks. Gotta get a camping hammock...but which one? Hard to tell what would work in my climate and probable destinations but lightweight is most welcome but not at the exclusion of comfort.

I considered a Hummingbird, Blackbird, Dream Dangerbird and then I saw Shug demo the Chameleon. And I fell, hard (for the hammock, not Shug - don't get me wrong, he has his charms). So I gotta wait now, you know, for June - when the Chameleon becomes available.

I am in a backpacking course with Sierra Club, the practice trip is in June, in Sequoia National Park and looks like I'll be in a tent again. But SC encourages that in all honesty. It won't be the last time since I love the desert, the Channel Islands (no trees on some of them).

I did take advantage of an opportunity to buy (not order) an underquilt by HammockGear - I couldn't be happier with it, buttery soft. And I already own a GoLite top quilt. Tried both on the Costco hammock and wow was I cozy. COZY! Lovin' this hammock life!

Now I'm looking around my bedroom eyeing where can I put in a couple eyebolts....

Anyways, thank you for creating this forum and I look forward to learning from all of you.
    You'll love it! (Worth the wait...) I actually slept in mine last night and had an awesome night of sleep. Have you decided on fabric weight and color yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Sleeping in mine again tonight. A really enjoyable all-around hammock...

You will dig it.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Deluxe Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    1/2"Foam,want KAQ
    Suspension
    TreeStraps,HH Rope
    Welcome from Washington state!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Welcome from Northern Arkansas!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hello from Alabama!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA. Happy hanging!

[QUOTE=swalkerv;1780389]You'll love it! (Worth the wait...) I actually slept in mine last night and had an awesome night of sleep. Have you decided on fabric weight and color yet?

That is good news that you slept so well and it's worth the wait!! Thank you for the encouragement! What color & fabric did you select?

I will go with the lightest weight fabric. It's too warm here to sleep in daytime temps most days (even some winter days!) and it's not my habit anyway (I'm up with the sun normally) so I don't want a "black out" cover and I don't want to feel like I'm in a closet. I'd like a lighter color to be able to easily see anything I might drop in the hammock (similar to the inside of my baggallini shoulder bag, which is yellow inside). The UQ is Moroccan Blue ext./Black int. I also want to be low key so I can solo sometimes. So, considering the gray, gold, with the occasional dull or dark green palette of the chaparral & forest here, maybe Olive Yellow or? I'll probably go back & forth on favorite of the moment a dozen times before I pick one & buy it. I guess I could get a camo tarp and make it all disappear too, if I wanted to, right?

I'm beginning to understand the reasons why one acquires several hammocks, several tarps, etc. <sigh> I was aiming at simplifying my life and minimizing possessions...oh well. I'll have to give something else the heave ho to make room.
    Last edited by Rosomane; 05-10-2017 at 15:42.

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape &amp; 'biner
    Hello and welcome!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast