Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Actually Rocket and KBrOOKs the above linked study says that Fabreeze and Renuzit DID NOT contain any of the pythilates that were known to be cancer causing agents.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    It always make me smile on the inside when I pull out a piece of gear and it smells of campfire, next best smell is permetherin. Campfire has got to be the best deterrent to critters that might try to see if I'm tasty except perhaps my own personal funk.

Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    Actually Rocket and KBrOOKs the above linked study says that Fabreeze and Renuzit DID NOT contain any of the pythilates that were known to be cancer causing agents.
    One Febreeze product did, one didn't. My point is, why bother with a fake scent that's got a bunch of lab-created garbage in it when you can spend the same amount of money and about thirty seconds to make your own so you know what's inside? (This isn't scare tactics: everything is a chemical, including water. However, some chemicals are more hazardous than others.) Hard to go wrong with plain alcohol and a couple drops of peppermint oil.

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner
    I used to try and keep everything I owned pristine & almost museum quality until one day I thought to myself; "what are you keeping this stuff for? Just use it and enjoy it before you are worm food".

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Any ideas on how to get tobacco smell out of gear? I bought some gear from a forum member and it reeks of tobacco. I'd like to get the smell out as quickly as possible.

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    Any ideas on how to get tobacco smell out of gear? I bought some gear from a forum member and it reeks of tobacco. I'd like to get the smell out as quickly as possible.
    I know baking soda absorbs smells- what about laying the gear out and sprinkling some over it then shake it off after a day or so?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    What about breaking wind in the UQ?
    Hiker funk?
    General backpack pew?
    Fire smell trumps all that...
    Ha! Nature's Febreeze?!!?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    If your stuff doesn't smell like wood smoke and pine trees, that means you aren't using it enough.
    Haha, yeah. I love it so much I bath in the odor, with (homemade closed kiln) pine tar soap.

To wash gear, buy local pine tar soap, grate it, and use the shreds in homemade laundry soap. Easy, cheap, effective, and smells great!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Noah 12 for now
    Insulation
    Lynx 0, Spindrift
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    Buddy bought a truck from a smoker. Finally tried a product made specifically for odor removal from the Turtle Wax Company. It really helped. It is made for fabric car interiors, but you may want to confirm what fabrics it is safe on. I was amazed at how well it worked. Think they make it in a bomb style as well as the spray. He used the bomb to get it into all the interior nooks and crannies, and then hosed the seats, carpet, seatbelts, and headliner with the spray.
    I know it's not the lightest gear, and it's a lot of stuff, but I use a canoe, so it's a lot like car camping, but without the other cars.

The only two things I've ever found to really take smoke smells out are a hydroxyl generator machine that you can usually rent from a water/fire restoration company. Throw the items in a room, turn on the machine, and close the door. it's safe to be around unlike ozone and after a day or two should have the smell gone.

The other product I've found that works is chlorine dioxide. It comes in a little container, you add a little water, then let it sit in the room/vehicle overnight. You'll have to air out the room/gear for a few days as it will smell like a swimming pool, but after that dissipates the smoke odor should be gone. I got a work vehicle someone had smoked heavily in prior to me receiving it and this was the only thing that I found full eliminated the odor.

As to the original topic of the post I will wash my clothing after camping and that seems to take care of it. I air out all my other gear as soon as I get home. However I agree with most people that the campfire smell is actually pretty pleasant to me. I love being able to pull out some gear and get that whiff of campfire when I'm packing, it brings back lots of fond memories.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast