WBRR
    Tarp
    Noah 12 for now
    Insulation
    Lynx 0, Spindrift
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dippa View Post
    I've found in the past my stuff smells of smoke and now I'm getting a down bag, I'd hate to get it stinking :/

How do you guys keep your gear, down bags etc smoke free if you have a fire ?

"Stinking" is hard to quantify. I'm not sure what available firewood you are burning in the UK. Not all wood is worthy of use for a campfire. But at the same time, not everyone has the option of choosing, and having to burn what is available could easily put you into smelling a stinky fire. Just because it is wood and available, does not necessarily make for pleasant memories.

Are you burning softwoods or hardwood?
    I know it's not the lightest gear, and it's a lot of stuff, but I use a canoe, so it's a lot like car camping, but without the other cars.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    Wookie 20, Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Most materials you can do a vinegar and water mix and mist your equipment while it's hanging so that it dries...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by ddornerjr View Post
    Most materials you can do a vinegar and water mix and mist your equipment while it's hanging so that it dries...

Plus, if you get a green sleeping bag you will be just another giant pickle!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ddornerjr View Post

I LIKE the smell of woodsmoke, but not VINEGAR!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    Wookie 20, Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    I LIKE the smell of woodsmoke, but not VINEGAR!
    I like the he smell of campfire too... vinegar smell goes away when it evaporates. It's used as a cleaning agent all the time.

Fire smell is country cologne. I get sad when I come back from hiking and don't smell like campfire. Could always put it in your dryer with no heat / fluff setting with a bunch of tennis balls and a few dryer sheets. Personally, I'd much rather my kit smell like dirt and feet and fire than June Cleaver's washroom, but YMMV.

Alternately some sports players I know keep their gear odor at bay with a combination of the cheapest rotgut vodka you can find and a few drops of whatever essential oil you like. Fill a spray bottle with it and spritz everything down, then leave to dry flat -- or better, on a sunny clothesline in the backyard. When the alcohol evaporates it takes the stink with it and leaves the essential oil. More expensive than Febreeze, which I guess would also work, but Febreeze is linked to cancer, so I'd stick with vodka. If it doesn't work, you can always drink the vodka or use it in your alcohol stove.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Wow, did not know about Febreeze et.al. being linked to cancer... good thing I can't stand those heavy chemical perfumes. Your solution of a homemade odor-fighting spray sounds like the best idea.

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Alternately some sports players I know keep their gear odor at bay with a combination of the cheapest rotgut vodka you can find and a few drops of whatever essential oil you like. Fill a spray bottle with it and spritz everything down, then leave to dry flat -- or better, on a sunny clothesline in the backyard. When the alcohol evaporates it takes the stink with it and leaves the essential oil. More expensive than Febreeze, which I guess would also work, but Febreeze is linked to cancer, so I'd stick with vodka. If it doesn't work, you can always drink the vodka or use it in your alcohol stove.
    Now I like this idea, any idea involving boozed is a good one!
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug
    What I do is store my quilts in my closet and throw my dryer sheets in there after I've done laundry.. So I'll always save them and keep throwing them in there, its always enough after a few days to reverse the smells. Other than that, I really agree with most, it's going to happen to a degree.
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast