Tree Strap Length for MN Trees.

I think I'm going to move to a Whoopie Hook suspension configuration soon. 99% of my camping will be done in Central/Northern MN, and I'm wondering what's a good tree strap length that should cover me for the trees in my area. I'm leaning towards 7 foot straps, as 4' seems too short, and 5'-6' might be cutting it close.

We do a lot of camping along the St. Croix and Mississippi river valleys, with the occasional jaunt up North. Lots of conifers and silver maples. Just can't say I've ever locked an 'average tree circumference' in my brain pan .

Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    You might check out the new DYNEEMA/POLYPRO straps or the woven loop-straps at Dutch's.
    I saw 'em last weekend and either are light enough that you could have the 10' or 12'ers for the just-in-case sitz.

I'd rather carry an ounceX rather than a secondary suspension.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HammyDavisJr View Post
    I think I'm going to move to a Whoopie Hook suspension configuration soon. 99% of my camping will be done in Central/Northern MN, and I'm wondering what's a good tree strap length that should cover me for the trees in my area. I'm leaning towards 7 foot straps, as 4' seems too short, and 5'-6' might be cutting it close.

We do a lot of camping along the St. Croix and Mississippi river valleys, with the occasional jaunt up North. Lots of conifers and silver maples. Just can't say I've ever locked an 'average tree circumference' in my brain pan .

Thanks everyone!
    I have 5' straps and carry a couple of 3-4 ft amsteel dogbones. That way you can extend your straps if needed and not add much weight.

I have Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension with straps. I originally had the 5' straps but found myself wrapping excess strap around most of the trees I encountered, especially on the SHT.

The trees I have near me in Neb/Iowa are about the same. I switched to 4' straps and they seem a better fit for most of my campsites. That said, on a long hike, I take one 5' strap just in case. It also has many other uses if you are creative.

I had 8' straps and switched to one 6 and one 10. I might get one big tree, but not two, especially close enough together to use both. Having said that, I could have gone shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    I had 8' straps and switched to one 6 and one 10. I might get one big tree, but not two, especially close enough together to use both. Having said that, I could have gone shorter.
    This is kinda genius.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    SuperFly, others
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/ENO
    Suspension
    Cinch,Whoopie,Atla
    Totally unhelpful comment: This thread made me chuckle. Here in the PNW I find that 12' is the minimum I would consider. 15' is what I use now after a trip where the smallest circumference trees I could find was more than 9'. We're doing some camping in the California redwoods this summer - I may have to get creative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I doubt there's much difference between Northeast trees (where I live) and Minnesota trees. I started with 12 ft. straps, then moved to 8 before finally settling on 4 ft. straps. The trees just aren't that big here, and if I need them, I always carry a couple of continuous loops to extend the straps.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug
    I've been limited a few times by the four foot straps... and I'm 99% of the time on the SHT. It hasn't been often but enough to swap out the 4 footers for 7 footers now. No issues since. BTW I used Dutch's new Dyneema straps they are a little bit light and pretty cool looking, inexpensive too.
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts