Tarp
    Trail Haven Tarp
    Insulation
    JrB down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Question hammock modified 2 layer idea

Would this idea even work?
    I was thinking of getting some 1.0 robic xl fabric to make a hammock.
    As someone who's approaching the "comfort" level of that fabric and not wanting to go with 1.7 I had an idea.

Could you take the hammock fabric and lay strips (2-3") down the length of the fabric and sew them on before you make the end channel?

see attached image, where yellow is one full layer, green is a layer of the same fabric and black is the area of the channels.

hammock.png

I would think it would hold, you'd do a rolled hem all round and that would attach the sides and the ends and then a 1" or so and a double rolled hem on the ends for the channel, triple stitched.

So would that even work? Ignore the fact that 1.7 robic would only be a little heavier.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Only problem is you laying on the stiching would be uncomfortable. That and seems in the middle of the hammock could give you a weak spot

I think (and if someone could correct me if I'm wrong) once you cut the fabrics, even with the best sewing job ever. You will have seriously compromised the strength of the hammock. I don't know if anyone could give you a correct weight rating on that, and even if you don't cut one of the fabrics i think there would be some strength lost from all the holes from the stitching, on another point I don't know if that would feel so great with all the seams. It would definitely affect the sag of the fabrics. I hate to sound so negative. I could be wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Trail Haven Tarp
    Insulation
    JrB down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    There'd be no additional stitching outside the normal, the middle pieces would only be attached by the ends, the side pieces would be part of the rolled hems.
    hammock.png

The green pieces in the middle would only be attached by the initial rolled hem and then the channel creation.
    So you wouldn't be laying on stitching.
    And I can handle constructive criticism, I appreciate your ideas and thoughts!

The yellow piece would be a full 11' x 60" piece of fabric and the green would be support strips only stitched at the ends and the outside edges. It's hard to explain but I hope that helps.

Thanks for your ideas!
    Last edited by gmorphis; 05-02-2017 at 13:32. Reason: explain better

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S 11'
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Loco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    what's to stop the strips from just moving to the sides? Wouldn't they just move and you'd be lying on just one layer anyway?

My only question would be are you laying on the green strips or are they under the hammock? Cause both sound like they would shift on you if not stiched/glued down. What would be the estimated weight savings doing this over using 1.7 robic or 1.6 hyperd

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think the strips would shift on you if they weren't sewn in place. And if they were sewn in place, so much sewing would weaken the solid piece to which the strips were sewn. Regardless, you'd probably have to put hems on each strip, which would kind of defeat the idea of saving weight (if that is the intent). A 60-inch hammock would require 10 three-inch strips, or 15 two-inch strips.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Interesting idea, and I think it would work. Maybe cutting with a soldering iron would prevent you from having to hem the strips. For me, I'd just make a double layer. Let us know if you try it and take pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If the only purpose of the strips would be to strengthen the hammock, I guess it would work. But I don't think the hammock will be easy to use or be very comfortable. And did you do the math? Would a 1.5 layer hammock made from 1.0oz Robic be really lighter than a single layer hammock made from 1.7oz Robic? My guess is, the weight would come out fairly close to the 1.7oz SL because you need to do seams on the strips. You'd probably save more weight if you would go with 1.6oz HyperD, or made a 1.7oz Robic SL a bit more narrow.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Trail Haven Tarp
    Insulation
    JrB down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I appreciate the comments, like I said, ignore the little weight savings, I was just thinking and thought I'd pose the question here.
    Very good point about them shifting and that's something I didn't even consider and would require some kind of hemming or bonding..
    Dang.. I thought I was on to something there.. Thanks all!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast