G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I believe the straight stitch holds better on non or limited stretch fabrics.
    You will not find many, if any, vendors or manufacturers making a hammock with a zig-zag or stretch stitch. Actually, any piece of gear that is designed for strength and durability uses a straight stitch.

There's probably a reason.

I've made several extra wide hammocks. My widest was a special buy fabric at 110" wide. Way too big for anything resembling packable. Fine in the backyard for sunny afternoons. It swallowed you up, and was a pain to get out of.
    I'm a big guy and the 10' or 11' length in 60" material is fine, and more pack friendly.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Wide (68"+) fabric FTW! Even a finished width of 65" to 66" can seem dramatically different than a standard-width hammock when you occupy it.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Diamond/Rectangle
    Insulation
    Onewind/sleep bag
    Suspension
    spider loops
    My current hammock is a Bear Grylls model that I got on sale from REI several years ago. It was my first tentative step back into hammocks and seems decent enough for the price. Since it got me into hanging I can't complain. But that's about all I know about hammocks, excepting the abortive net type hammock I tried to use 35 years ago. The horror.
    I'm just trying to improve the experience for the future. And since it looks like I'll be providing the hammock for any future backpacking/camping trips with a friend, I might as well custom make one for myself and relegate 'Bear' to the lend a hammock program.
    I appreciate all the advice. I'll probably go just a tad wider than 60" on an 11 footer when I get to crafting my own.

Me and "Bear".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Wide (68"+) fabric FTW! Even a finished width of 65" to 66" can seem dramatically different than a standard-width hammock when you occupy it.
    What is your reasoning behind wider fabrics? I'm planning (so far) on making mine 11' and out of the 1.7oz ROBIC XL Hybrid, which comes in at 70 usable width. Factoring in hemming I'm looking at probably 67-68" wide....I'm 275# and 5'10" and looking for the most comfortable lay without calf ridge issues. (I'm devouring information as fast as possible because I want to get everything right and order all my materials for hammocks, tarps and UQ at the same time for that sweet, sweet 10% off at RSBTR)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11.' Double layer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Jarbidge 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie's

Ridge line

I think you need to try a fixed ridge line first. Your hammock looks too tight in your photo. Getting some sag in there would really allow you to utilize more of the width of your existing hammock.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Diamond/Rectangle
    Insulation
    Onewind/sleep bag
    Suspension
    spider loops
    Quote Originally Posted by Toey42 View Post
    I think you need to try a fixed ridge line first. Your hammock looks too tight in your photo. Getting some sag in there would really allow you to utilize more of the width of your existing hammock.
    I'm still gathering gear and yesterday received some more stuff from RBTR and last night attached a ridgeline but haven't tried it out yet. Lot's of experimenting to do still. I also bought a copy of the ultimate hang so there is plenty of information to digest.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I believe the straight stitch holds better on non or limited stretch fabrics.
    You will not find many, if any, vendors or manufacturers making a hammock with a zig-zag or stretch stitch. Actually, any piece of gear that is designed for strength and durability uses a straight stitch.

There's probably a reason.
    Very true. I was suggesting a zig zag stitch for adding lengthwise side panels because someone said that the stitching is often tight and uncomfortable if a hammock is constructed this way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12