Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL & HG TQ
    Suspension
    Bettle Buckles

First hang with new whoopie slings

I just got back from my first hang with new whoopie slings on my HH backpacker. The setup was definately faster because they are so easy to put up and adjust compared to doing the lashing with the original HH suspension. I did notice that I had to choose trees that were a little farther apart because I couldn't get it adjusted as short as I could with the lashing. I'm using 5 ft tree straps and may switch to shorter ones but I don't think that will really help the problem. Has anyone else had issues with trees being too close together and solved this problem? I mostly hike in the SE states, so plenty of trees, but they are often fairly close together.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Many folks have mentioned this as a problem. I had some issue with it and converted to ucr's on one end that had a twelve inch bury. It saved a couple of inches. It seems that cinch buckles give you the tightest range. Dog bones on the ends, or continuous loops directly to the buckle and you can adjust the strapping all the way to the tree..nearly.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Use a Marlin spike hitch on your tree straps to get right on the tree with your whoppie.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I had this issue as well... I started doing some research and decided on at first learning the marlin spike hitch, which worked. I'm not a knot kinda person though, and I wanted something a bit quicker to adjust. After talking to Dutch and a few other hangers at MAHHA, it seems that getting a bit longer strap (like maybe 8-10') and using one of Dutch's bling, like spiders or cinch bugs, would be a good way to go for that second point of adjustment (after the whoopies).

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    If your hammock has CLs then you can bypass the whoopie slings and hang the hammock CL right on a marlin spike hitch. You might have to tie the hitch 2-3 times to get it where you need it, but it only takes a few seconds. I hung off of strap and MSH alone until I made my first set of whoopies to cut down on the bulk of extra webbing. If the trees are too close for that then there's not going to be room for a tarp any way.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    I do what Jabraso does. Use the continuous loop(s) at one or both ends to hang on your Marlin spike. Works well, use it all the time. If you do that you will have to set the tree strap a little lower on the tree.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL & HG TQ
    Suspension
    Bettle Buckles
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try the CL on the marlin spike hitch on my next trip. Sounds like that would solve the problem.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jabraso View Post
    If your hammock has CLs then you can bypass the whoopie slings and hang the hammock CL right on a marlin spike hitch. You might have to tie the hitch 2-3 times to get it where you need it, but it only takes a few seconds. I hung off of strap and MSH alone until I made my first set of whoopies to cut down on the bulk of extra webbing. If the trees are too close for that then there's not going to be room for a tarp any way.

This ^^^^ !!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts