SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Seems to me its more of a coverage issue, rather than whether the UQ affects the lay, no? Semantics? I guess you can alter your lay to get the most coverage per your specific UQ, but seems to me given the various lengths that people use, this is a personal coverage preference not a lay issue primarily.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    People assume a 44" wide X 78" long UQ will support a person taller than 78" due to the angle. On paper, sure, that's 89.55" (Pythagorean Theorem), but in real life I'm saying it just doesn't work like that. There are more variables involved. If you want full coverage, you're going to need a little breathing room to be safe.

I like to refer to my 72" Incubator. I'm 69" and it's just right. Those 3 "leftover" inches are good to have, and I'm certainly not getting a theoretical 84".
    I'm so glad you brought this up so that I do not purchase the incorrect size due to geometric assumptions..

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    I felt that my old conventional UQ did limit my diagonal lay in my hammock. Since I got myself a wookie, I now get the exact same diagonal lay as I would without an underquilt. The Yeti I can't comment on.

So for me, yes - The conventional UQ design does limit my diagonal lay in a hammock.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I have to adjust my quilt (HG incubators) a bit wonky to get good coverage on a diagonal lay without feeling the quilt against my feet. The head side I slide up farther toward the head of the hammock a few inches on the suspension and I move the foot side (right side for me) down toward the foot end a few inches then cinch it. I plan to sell my quilts and buy LL reapers this summer though. The custom length option he offers should allow me to get better coverage without feeling too tight in the foot end.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

For full coverage, you need a quilt longer than you are tall. Forget trying to math the diagonal, it doesn't work.

I am 72" tall, have a standard length (77" or 78"? I forget) Incubator. This is about the right length for me to have true head to toe full coverage.

Don't try to go shorter unless you are intentionally choosing a less than full length quilt.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Good discussion here, but I was 100% mistaken on my original comment. It could have been how I worded it originally, so let's clear that up:

What I was saying had to do with the length. People assume a 44" wide X 78" long UQ will support a person taller than 78" due to the angle. On paper, sure, that's 89.55" (Pythagorean Theorem), but in real life I'm saying it just doesn't work like that. There are more variables involved. If you want full coverage, you're going to need a little breathing room to be safe.

I like to refer to my 72" Incubator. I'm 69" and it's just right. Those 3 "leftover" inches are good to have, and I'm certainly not getting a theoretical 84". So I have to stand by my BS statement in that regard.

On topic with this thread: yes, I think any UQ allows for a diagonal lay...some just better than others.
    Thanks for claryfing. I had totally mistaken your post.

Now auxilliary question : is the 6/8 UQ a good deal, or just silly complicate to save one ounce ? (my idea is that you would leave the head out and not the feet, don't know if it is feasible).

This thread is funny, because everyone answers his own question.

Images
    I have a 60x70 Costco quilt and feel I get "full coverage" with it. It's okay missing a bit at the top because I would have pillow of some sort anyway.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post

Now auxilliary question : is the 6/8 UQ a good deal, or just silly complicate to save one ounce ? (my idea is that you would leave the head out and not the feet, don't know if it is feasible).
    I really like my 62" Phincubator. It leaves just my neck/head exposed...but not really since I use a clothes bag as a pillow. It's 30° rating is spot on too; good for the 35-40° temps I often find myself in.

Would state that when setting up the UQ for a diagonal lay, do so first at hose with someone assisting. They can see what you cannot.

Regarding dimensions, some assumptions might be assuming a fully flat lay. We all know our bottom sinks, which is a variable many do not account for.

I really like my 62" Phincubator. It leaves just my neck/head exposed...but not really since I use a clothes bag as a pillow. It's 30° rating is spot on too; good for the 35-40° temps I often find myself in.
    I'm a cold sleeper, I find true full length to be highly desirable for a winter bag. While a pillow or clothing under your head may suffice, nothing beats the feeling of radiant warmth you get from 3" of down.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast