Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images

UQs and diagonal lay

I remember Markr6 saying it is BS about full lenghts, - that they do not allow for a diagonal lay.

The Yeti and Wooki allow for a true diagonal lay. The Yeti, being asymetrical (left / right), is probably specifically designed with that idea in mind, and indeed, it fits like a glove when laying on the diagonal.

What about the other ones ?

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    If I'm not mistaken (please correct me if so) the LL Habanero is also designed with a specific lay direction, if you opt for that. As well as a specific length to custom fit each individual hanger. I however do not have one to test this, but would be willing to sacrifice someone sending me one to test this theory out.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I can get a good diagonal lay by adjusting my UQ's suspension. That's in an ENO however, and I'm guessing that my upcoming Chameleon might need more adjustment for a more diagonal lay. Either way, I think that very few people on here sleep banana-style in their hammocks, and most people use underquilts as well. So it might just be more of a theoretical issue than a practical one. I use a HG 20* UQ, which is pretty common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Troll View Post
    If I'm not mistaken (please correct me if so) the LL Habanero is also designed with a specific lay direction, if you opt for that. As well as a specific length to custom fit each individual hanger. I however do not have one to test this, but would be willing to sacrifice someone sending me one to test this theory out.
    As far as I know, the habanero is a traditional underquilt with baffles sewn in diagonally, but its shape is rectangular.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I find an UQ limits my diagonal lay, by a couple inches, but does not stop it. I still get a comfortable diagonal that allows me a flat lay.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I think if you have a good secondary suspension which allows you to adjust each corner independent, it doesn't really limit all that much. Just by the fact that you are stretching the shock cord, any underquilt will inhibit things a bit, but it's minimal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    As far as I know, the habanero is a traditional underquilt with baffles sewn in diagonally, but its shape is rectangular.
    This is correct.

As far as uq's go, the only thing that might hinder a more diagonal lay is tension from the suspension. This is a primary reason why the shock cord clews thread exists. The wookie succeeds in this respect for the same reason. That said, an awful lot of people have been using rectangular uq's for quite some time now. I've been under the believe that, essentially laying inside a football shaped object like a conventional GE is probably not the most efficient way to get a flat lay in the first place.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    In my limited experience, the effect on a diagonal lay is minimal with both my Incubator and DIY Gemini underquilt.

The Gemini has a clew suspension which seems to be far more flexible. The incubator, even with it's tapered design and standard suspension, doesn't feel like it limits much at all. Very minor limitation on the flat-lay, IMO.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    I remember Markr6 saying it is BS about full lenghts, - that they do not allow for a diagonal lay.

The Yeti and Wooki allow for a true diagonal lay. The Yeti, being asymetrical (left / right), is probably specifically designed with that idea in mind, and indeed, it fits like a glove when laying on the diagonal.

What about the other ones ?
    I'm with Markr6, the UQ does not affect the lay, though if the suspension is tight - and sometimes it needs to be - you can certainly feel the tug of it on your feet and perhaps that might be of some mental effect. The HG Incubator has an interesting cut towards the foot end and could conceivably make for a less aggressive diagonal lay, like you might be inclined to do with a widebody hammock. In most hammocks, there is no issue.

But what is this about the Yeti and Wooki allowing for true diagonal lay? As opposed to what? I could be wrong, I don't own one, but never thought the Yeti was asym and I don't see that on the WB site. If anything, an asym UQ would only minimize weight for areas where insulation could be reduced due to the line of the lay. It wouldn't "allow" for a better lay necessarily, or as you say, a better fit. If anything, the Yeti and Wooki, being designed by WB, might fit better on the BB hammocks and their unique footbox design.

I wonder, is that your actual question, what other UQs fit well on the BB hammocks?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Good discussion here, but I was 100% mistaken on my original comment. It could have been how I worded it originally, so let's clear that up:

What I was saying had to do with the length. People assume a 44" wide X 78" long UQ will support a person taller than 78" due to the angle. On paper, sure, that's 89.55" (Pythagorean Theorem), but in real life I'm saying it just doesn't work like that. There are more variables involved. If you want full coverage, you're going to need a little breathing room to be safe.

I like to refer to my 72" Incubator. I'm 69" and it's just right. Those 3 "leftover" inches are good to have, and I'm certainly not getting a theoretical 84". So I have to stand by my BS statement in that regard.

On topic with this thread: yes, I think any UQ allows for a diagonal lay...some just better than others.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast