Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    If you search "Recliner" in the DIY section you will see my post (called Camp Recliner) and pics from the chair I developed 2 years ago. I included the DIY instructions in the thread. Hope it helps... Still using them 2 years later.
    Awesome!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=recliner

Sorry, here's the link to my hammock chair (nicknamed The Camp Recliner) build. This morning my tablet wasn't cooperating...
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=recliner

Sorry, here's the link to my hammock chair (nicknamed The Camp Recliner) build. This morning my tablet wasn't cooperating...
    Texas Hanger...this thread was exactly the one that kicked off my own efforts. Thank you so much for sharing such a great idea. Mine is totally derivative of yours to be as minimal as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRigney1970 View Post
    Texas Hanger...this thread was exactly the one that kicked off my own efforts. Thank you so much for sharing such a great idea. Mine is totally derivative of yours to be as minimal as possible.

Your welcome Mark. Glad I could provide some level of inspiration for your efforts.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    DIY Knotty Stretchside
    Tarp
    OES Standard, DIY
    Insulation
    Synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    Would love to see a how-to on this. I have started working on something like this and have been through 2 revisions that weren't exactly what I was looking for. Version 3 is in the works. Currently I ma working off this pattern. Start with a blank fabric 72" inches long and 58" wide. On the short sides measure up 20 inches and make a mark. On the top side measure in 15" on each side. Connect the two marks and cut off the corner. Sew a 1/2" rolled hem on the top and bottom. Sew a 1" rolled hem on the sides. I thread my whoppie slings through the sides to gather them up and then hang. I am currently hanging the chair on hooks 48" apart. Once I get a the chair to the place I want I will work on the suspension. The goal is to use my regular hammock suspension on the chair to cut down on weight when backpacking.HammockChair.pdf

Glad to hear you are working on one. I'd be happy to sell you one...but once you get the diy bug...hehehe

I have tried the method you are using and the results were always disappointing. The lay was never correct. Also, it is almost impossible to see an end channel due to the turn and the bias of the fabric.

The original post by Texas Hanger has a full proof method of getting a good lay. A triangle is cut out of the middle to accomplish the recline. A triangle works pretty well, but the top edge ends up pushing against your head. A little trial and error with the shape can adjust for that. The required shape would change depending on the width of fabric you use.

I still plan to make a how to for my version, but that has to wait for the real job to slow down.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty Stretchside
    Tarp
    OES Standard, DIY
    Insulation
    Synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    MarkRigney1970,

Thanks for the hints when I have a spare piece of fabric I will make another test. Part of the DIY fun is trying things out. I believe that I enjoy the making almost more then the using.

After looking at Texas Hangers instructions I saw an interesting correlation between what I was doing and what he did. I cut triangles for both sides while leaving 20-24 inches full width and he cut a triangle out of the middle. My two triangles added together are 30" wide at the base with a height of 35". I think he said the triangle he cut was 28" x 34". So they are in the ballpark. However cutting the triangle out of the center and then sewing the seam back is a much easier way to customize the lay since creating a funky cut on the ends of the fabric makes sewing the rolled hem/end channel a real pain. I was thinking that on light fabric like 1.1 ripstop that it would compromise the strength of the fabric by creating a seam but after thinking it through the greatest part of the weight is supported by the uncut fabric underneath the hindquarters.

I have had trouble with the end channel on the bias of the fabric but found that pinning it helps a good bit. Since my end cut has an angle in it it was always a bit funky in that area. I chose to make it gathered end so the seam strength didn't matter as much.

I believe that one of your hammock chairs is destined for my house. I have a birthday coming up and I have dropped some not so subtle hints. My family says I am hard to buy for because I have such weird and obscure wants. Special fabrics, titanium hardware, dyneema cord and splicing tools.

I love the idea of a ultralight hammock chair because I have had lymes disease and want to avoid sitting on the bare ground which gives those nasty critters easier access to my blood.

By the way love the business model and mission.
    Last edited by compman2; 08-16-2017 at 12:36.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I also would be interested in a how-to description. I have a TQ and UQ I'm currently working on but I like to DIY so maybe I'll do one of these in the future.

Any update on a "how-to" post? Would love to try my hand at making one of these for my wife.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.7 Gen 2
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba/DIY
    Insulation
    Wooki/DiamondBack
    Suspension
    Webbing Buckle
    This is an awesome design!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast