WBBB XCL SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopie

What DD hammock should I get ?

I've been looking at the frontline, camping and the superlight if anyone could explain what one would be best for my needs ?

I will be using this in all weather so hoping to have a versatile setup if possible. I understand having a UQ is better for warmth but my biggest concern is weight and I already own a mat from ground sleeping.

At the moment I already have a 3x3 tarp but I'm considering the superlight tarp to lower the weight.

Being extremely new to hammocks am I correct in thinking the whoopie slings being the best suspension ? What other options do I have ?

Is it worth buying the DD sleeve ?

All help appreciated

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can't help you on what hammock to get....but a pad will do you just fine for now.
    I personally like whoopie slings but some like straps and cinch buckles or beetle bugs.
    Using a sleeve for a tarp is common but not too many use them on hammocks but of course a few do.
    Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XCL SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the reply Shug. Am I correct in thinking the whoopie sling is the lightest option ?

Thanks for the vids, will give them a watch

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dippa View Post
    Thanks for the reply Shug. Am I correct in thinking the whoopie sling is the lightest option ?

Thanks for the vids, will give them a watch
    Pretty light but suspension in my opinion is not the biggest place to save weight. Maybe a few grams here and there. They are a bit less bulky but minimal.
    Plus, it is what holds you up! Just my opinion. Better to find other places to save weight. Like backpacks, tarps, insulation, hammocks themselves and other gear choices.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XCL SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Pretty light but suspension in my opinion is not the biggest place to save weight. Maybe a few grams here and there. They are a bit less bulky but minimal.
    Plus, it is what holds you up! Just my opinion. Better to find other places to save weight. Like backpacks, tarps, insulation, hammocks themselves and other gear choices.
    Thanks for your advice Shug, you've been a great help! I will make a start on your vids and go from there.

I'm sure it'll come down to experiencing it first hand to find what will be right for me.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you are taller than 5', the only DD that is halfway decent is the DD Frontline XL. If you have a look at the DD hammock chart, you will see that with the exception of the Frontline XL, all hammocks are only 2.7m x 1.4m. You can use a hammock that small, and in all likelihood it will still be more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, but it's a pretty safe bet that once you have used an 11' (3.3m) hammock, you won't understand how you could have ever been able to sleep in a hammock that short. I'm only 5'4" / 165cm short, but I need 10.5' (3.2m) length to feel comfortable.

If you want to stick with DD, get the 3m x 1.8m Frontline XL. It's a monster with regards to weight and volume, but surprisingly there are smaller DDs that are heavier.

Everyone is convinced they need an 11 ft hammock , it’s just as comfy to have a 9ft as long as you hang it correctly, most of the Hennessy gear is 9ft approx , I have no problem getting a good flat lay or side sleep in a superlight . I have 11ft’s as well but I find myself engulfed in fabric in a 11ft’r , it’s no more or less comfy . It’s much easier to pack a DD superlight than a frontline etc and obviously the weight is a factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshD View Post
    Everyone is convinced they need an 11 ft hammock , it’s just as comfy to have a 9ft as long as you hang it correctly, most of the Hennessy gear is 9ft approx , I have no problem getting a good flat lay or side sleep in a superlight . I have 11ft’s as well but I find myself engulfed in fabric in a 11ft’r , it’s no more or less comfy . It’s much easier to pack a DD superlight than a frontline etc and obviously the weight is a factor

If your rig works for you, that is all that counts.
    HYOH and YMMV

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Everyone is convinced they need an 11 ft hammock
    I like to try things myself and encourage others to do so as well. I have tried more hammocks than I care to count; from short 8' hammocks to 19.5' ones. I made a set of simple hammocks that are identical in everything except the length. One is 10', one 10.5', one 11'. I hang them next to each other and let people lie in them. It's difficult to actually see the difference, but everybody has felt it. Most people clearly prefer the 11' hammock. Some would go for the 10.5' hammock. I have never had one put in a vote for the 10' hammock. Maybe I should add a 9' and a 12' hammock to the line-up.

it’s just as comfy to have a 9ft as long as you hang it correctly
    Tastes and needs are different. Many, if not most people would disagree with you. But since comfort is personal, nobody is really wrong. I own 2 DD and 2 Claytor hammocks, and they are not as comfortable to me as I wanted them to be. On the other hand, my preferred hiking hammock is a Warbonnet Blackbird. On paper it's 10', but the usable part is really only about 9.5', so it is quite short. However, at home I would always pick a longer hammock, since it IS more comfortable (to me).

most of the Hennessy gear is 9ft approx
    Yes, HH sells fairly short and narrow hammocks. They're easily available outside of the US, not as expensive and they often come with a tarp. That's why many beginners start out with a Hennessy. Few stick with it, though. I still have a HH Safari that I find very comfy. It's too heavy to be useful, though.

I have no problem getting a good flat lay or side sleep in a superlight .
    That's great. Then continue using it. Nobody forces you to use something different.

I have 11ft’s as well but I find myself engulfed in fabric in a 11ft’r , it’s no more or less comfy .
    Maybe the fabric is very stretchy. This would explain being engulfed. I prefer firm fabrics, and I have a lot more space in an 11' hammock made from 70D fabric than I have in any of my DDs. I don't own a Superlight DD, though, and probably never will because it's too stretchy for me and I also prefer more reliability.

It’s much easier to pack a DD superlight than a frontline etc and obviously the weight is a factor
    Completely agree. When weight and volume are important, I always pick the smallest hammock that's still comfortable enough.

Hammock
    Diy 11 ft and DD hammock
    Tarp
    Diy
    Insulation
    closed cell foam
    Suspension
    whoopsie slings
    I have a DD travel hammock and its just fine I get a good diagonal hang in it and it packs up small but the choice is entirely yours. good luck in your quest Dippa may the force be with you.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY. OTHER TIMES I LET HER SLEEP

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast