Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Beginner needing help

First I must apologies for any silly questions I throw at you

I usually sleep under my tarp using a bivi bag, but I want to invest in a hammock and have that as my sleep system.

The only problem I have so far is knowledge and experience but I'm hoping to gather at least some of yours here.

It seems that having a hammock will weigh more than my ground system because I will need an under quilt as well as my top layer and the hammock itself :/ So how can i get this weight down ?

I've been looking at the DD frontline, DD superlight and the Ticket to the Moon double if anyone could shed some light ?

I am looking to keep the weight down if I'm honest but much prefer the double piece in the frontline for a mat.

What are my options for warmth ?

Any help appreciated

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Without knowing what your ground system weighs, it will be hard to know if you can get into a hammock system that weighs the same or less.

There are definitely light options available. Just like in other areas, lighter typically means more expensive.

Sounds like you're planning on using your current tarp. You will need to make sure that the hammock you decide on will fit underneath. Also, if you don't have a Cuben Fiber tarp already, there are significant weight savings using one made from CF.

Lightweight insulation typically means you will need down. There are lightweight quilts out there, both top and bottom, which will save weight over just a bottom quilt and a sleeping bag (if that's what you're using).

If you do decide on a pad instead, the Klymit hammock pads seem to work pretty well, even without a double layer, so you could save weight on the extra layer, but the pads themselves aren't light weight.

The temps and conditions you're planning to hang in play a factor, of course.

If you're a DIY kind of guy, you can look into some of the really lightweight fabrics offered by some of the vendors to make your own hammock.

Suspension is key as well, using lightweight materials for straps and hardware will help shave the grams.

It is possible to get pretty light with a hammock system, but you really have to plan ahead and build it as a complete kit, whether that's purchasing it all at once or a piece at a time. You just have to do your research!

Hammock
    WBBB XCL SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for your reply Johnspenn, you've certainly given me enough to think about here

The tarp I'm currently using is the DD 3x3. I was looking at their superlight tarp for my hammock setup but I'll defo take a look at the Cuben Fiber tarp.

I've only had a brief look at different suspensions if I'm completely honest, so I'm not fully sure what the best suspension there is but I'm guessing it's subjective.

Knowing I do have options to get the system light and having it personal is a big sell for me, thank you for your help.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Comfort will make you re-think your weight concerns but you can for sure keep the weight down.
    Throw a pad in and use your sleeping bag in top quilt mode.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you care about weight and comfort, forget DD. Unfortunately, there are very few hammock makers in Europe - and of those, most don't sell gathered end type hammocks, but rather bridge (Dendronaut) and 90° hammocks (hammocktent, Amok Draumr, Exped). It's getting better, but if you want an integrated gathered end hammock that is comfortable (i.e. large enough) and doesn't weigh more than necessary, you will have to look at the US hammock makers like Dream Hammock, Warbonnet or Simply Light Designs.

I actually forgot: there IS a gathered end hammock maker! And they are located in the UK: UK Hammocks. I had problems with their delivery time (I had to wait several months for items that were supposed to be available within 2 weeks), and I didn't care much for the underquilt I bought from them. But their hammocks are comfortable. Heavier than they would need to be, but a lot lighter than DD.

There is another small business; I think it's a one-man shop and he doesn't seem to have ready-made stuff. You'd have to contact him. He's pretty active on this forum and regularly posts about the gear he builds.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Amok now makes gathered end hammocks!

they're short, and probably a bit overpriced, but it's an option

I would still probably import a north american one tho

you get real good exchange now if you look at the canadian makers, little shop of Hammocks, for instance

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Dutch has good starter hammocks that are quite reasonable and light!

Images
    A tarp & bivy combo is hard to beat in terms of weight. A simple hammock setup may be slightly more, but not much. This is how it compares:

You lose the bivy and gain a hammock. (Hammock system probably weighs just a few ounces more, but obviously way roomier. Depends on hammock, bugnet etc.)

You lose a pad and full sleeping bag, and gain a top quilt and bottom quilt. (Quilt setup most likely lighter. You can also just keep your current bag and pad as Shug mentioned.)

The tarp stays as is.

Overall, it's probably a wash.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    We can throw ideas at the wall all day that will get your set up light and functional, but without a goal there is not much direction to guide you. it would also be helpful to know what you have, need, and willing to do without, along with your load limit and size, a budget would also be helpful along with any must have items.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    Amok now makes gathered end hammocks!

they're short, and probably a bit overpriced, but it's an option
    ... yeah, made from 1.0oz Robic XL... Have you read how many single layer 1.0oz Robic hammocks have already failed? Any fabric that light weight is not very reliable, but Robic seems to be even less reliable. A short and expensive hammock that has a higher potential than normal to fail. A good way to burn some money.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast