WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Best way to connect amsteel to amsteel if there are no end loops

This should hold your hammock and detach easily in the morning. Rather than using a zeppelin bend, use a slipped zeppelin bend. A zeppelin bend is not tied in the bight--but a slipped zeppelin bend is tied in the bight (without need to access either end of rope). And the slipped zeppelin bend unties with a yank and disappears instantly.
    Another way, using a knot or hitch you already know--using a strong smooth toggle, pair your ropes and tie a marlin spike hitch. Pay attention to orient MSH ropes in correct way similar to the way MSH works when using whoopie slings on tree strap. When you remove toggle in morning MSH disappears.
    Only problem can be rope burn? That can be reduced by carefully tightening knots-hitches before applying your weight and then apply body weight slowly by leaning on hammock with hands.
    Backyard testing may be needed.
    What are your thoughts?
    Of these two, I like slipped zeppelin better.
    And the best way, if you have splicing tool is to put in a splice, like a UCR splice except make bury about a foot long and back it up by adding a slipknot on the inner rope as it exits bury. Be careful to orient slipknot in correct direction. Slipknot can be an inch from bury exit--in morning simply yank slipknot loose--it should be loose unless splice slipped and slipknot did its job by not getting pulled into bury. Then all you do is compact bury and pull inner cord free and splice disappears instantly!
    UCR style splice is best, but most don't carry splicing tools while hiking-camping--and it does take a few minutes to splice.
    I like slipped zeppelin bend the best because it's fastest, very secure and requires no tools or hardware and it's nonjamming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 04-28-2017 at 09:56.

Hate to say it phantom, i have not found a knot that doesnt slip, jam, or shread an amsteel lead. Granted im 350 lbs so smaller people might have better luck. I've converted to ucr's made with knots instead of splices for the eye loops. I need 11 inches on either side of the hammock (using 10 inch main bury) to hang with them. Compared to 25 inches if using the recommend 6 inch bury per eye. Once again smaller people can use a shorter main bury so shorter overall distance. My most recent sets I've made had me adding double and single whoopie hooks to them. Girlfriend is wanting to get into hanging so i want to keep her close under my tarp. Oh and all my suspensions have the grapplers hitch on them followed by tree huggers and end with the ucr' larks headed to the straps. Makes for a great fast deployable, easy to adjust kit.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post
    Hate to say it phantom, i have not found a knot that doesnt slip, jam, or shread an amsteel lead. Granted im 350 lbs so smaller people might have better luck. I've converted to ucr's made with knots instead of splices for the eye loops. I need 11 inches on either side of the hammock (using 10 inch main bury) to hang with them. Compared to 25 inches if using the recommend 6 inch bury per eye. Once again smaller people can use a shorter main bury so shorter overall distance. My most recent sets I've made had me adding double and single whoopie hooks to them. Girlfriend is wanting to get into hanging so i want to keep her close under my tarp. Oh and all my suspensions have the grapplers hitch on them followed by tree huggers and end with the ucr' larks headed to the straps. Makes for a great fast deployable, easy to adjust kit.
    Double, I might have guessed wrong on knots. Looks like you got a rig that works--we think alike on longer bury for UCR. I'll have to work on slipped zeppelin to find its limits--and maybe I need different cords that are tougher than amsteel!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Becket hitch jams and takes pliers to undo if your lucky otherwise it burns/shreads the leader. Jbend is the same but only jams. Tried others but they all ended it dramatic failure with a quick descent to a brused tush. Toggles that I have tried let the line slip past without burning or jamming. I think ill take some old ucr's apart and test the slipped zeppelin bend next week. Always up for some good experimental testing.

• + New Posts