Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs

Camp Lake Loop, Rawah Wilderness, CO (advice please)

I'm planning a backpacking trip next year with a couple friends. We want to hike a loop about 18-20 miles, 2-3 nights out.
    This is the hike we are heading to.

The actual question follows the story:

Twelve to 14 years ago, my buddies and I were very new to backpacking. We bought all the gear we thought you needed (which amounts to a bunch of unnecessary crap and gadgets). After one or two short trips we thought we were ready. How naive we were. After meeting up with some friends who lived in Denver at the time, we set out to the trailhead. Our CO natives were following along for a day hike in with us. They planned on turning around after lunch to head home. The area had some snowfall a couple days prior to our arrival and while eating lunch, our CO friends suggested that we come back with them and maybe do another day hike with them the next day. Not getting the hint and assuring them that we were fine we decided to stay and push on. They headed home and we headed further into the outback.

We shortly encountered why they had advised we reconsider. Knee deep snow with a crust of ice covered the ground. Trudging on following footprints of a person and dog we thought we were still on the trail. I continued to hear the sound of a river that we should have been heading away from. After consulting our map of the area, it was realized that we were off course. We took a bearing and made our way to intersect the trail again. With no luck and night coming we made camp and got some food into our tired bodies.

The next morning after breaking camp we decided to cut the trip short (in order to find our way out). We started off in our back bearing and after hiking for about 15 minutes one of us declared that they had a brand new Garmin GPS. WTF! We turned that sucker on and when it had captured signals from the wonderful satellites orbiting 12,000 miles above us, we located our actual position on the map and headed back to the trailhead.

Unharmed and with our tails between our legs we drove home two days early. We did enjoy the short time we spent there. It was beautiful and humbling. But, we vowed to reclaim our manhood and conquer that trail someday.

Well that day has arrived (or at least we have chosen the day it will arrive). We are more experienced and more wise than those college kids we used to be.

The other difference is we are now "hangers." I do not recall the trail and whether it was conducive to hanging a hammock. Has anyone been on this trail to know if we will be able to hang. I know there are sections of the trail above the tree line.

Please advise.

p.s. Tentative date is July 2018
    Deadrise, Derailleurs, & Dirt

Hammock
    11ftr
    Tarp
    silpoly pu4000
    Insulation
    poultry puff
    I have not been on that trail, but a quick Google search turned up this topo, with what looks like abundant tree coverage:

http://www.streech.com/guidetrails/t...O-002-topo.pdf

But please, please pay attention to the Ten Essentials (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Essentials), and USE THEM if they're taking up space in your backpack anyway! The most important tool you'll have with you is your brain. Plan ahead and PREPARE appropriately, okay?

Be safe!
    "We are the greatest bulldozers to walk erect. Will we ever permit Mother Nature–truly our mother–to do her thing, undisturbed and unmarred? Will we ever be content to play a passively observant role in the universe, and leave off this unceasing activity? I do not wish man in control of the universe. I wish nature in control, and man playing only his just role as one of its inhabitants."
    — Randy Morgensen, 1971

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Thanks.
    Yes, I have seen the topo. I am curious about the "real time" topography. Representation does not always equal actual. The topo is also three years old.

I didn't mean to imply we weren't prepared gear-wise. I always abide by the "10 essentials." We did underestimated the weather conditions in Northern Colorado in late May. It was a learning experience; as every trip should be. Even a short day hike should teach us something (about ourselves, our skills, our environment). Don't we do this to become wiser and better at this hobby of playing in the woods? Knowledge is power
    Last edited by curtiseddie; 04-28-2017 at 11:12.

Images
    Many years ago I use to hike/fish the Rawah Wilderness area every year. I typically hike in made a hammock base camp and fished the many lakes and feeder streams for brookies. I was using a hammock back then and never had a problem finding good trees. The rangers in the area were strict about the wilderness rules on camping near waters edge and trails.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 04-28-2017 at 16:09.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I was using a hammock back then and never had a problem finding good trees. The rangers in the area were strict about the wilderness rules on camping near waters edge and trails.
    Thanks

Hammock
    ENO/Exped. Asym Zip.
    Tarp
    Asym. Zip Fly
    Insulation
    Costco Down UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Oh yeah, for sure. I have been up there many times as I'm in Fort Collins and almost anything in Roosevelt NF is going to cater to hammocking. I've hung on rocks in the boulder fields in a pinch, so I wouldn't worry much about being able to hang there. Weather has altered that trail pretty significantly and there are sections that have been altered a bit to fix some some damage but it's mostly remained the same and you shouldn't have any problems.

Happy Hiking!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I haven't personally been on the Camp Lake trail, but the Rawah is my backyard too and a couple of years ago took some of the connecting trails up there to the Twin Crater Lakes, which is the same general area. It was at the end of August, and there was no snow on the trail and only a little at the very highest elevations we got to. We camped below the lower lake (somewhere about 11000') and I didn't have a problem finding trees to hang.

YMMV with regards to snow and going in late July since we've had a higher than normal snowpack this year and we're still getting snow, but I wouldn't worry about finding trees. Worst case scenario is just having to go lower down the trail a little to find a suitable spot. That area's beautiful, enjoy!

Edit: If you're looking for more research resources for that area, this site is my go-to: http://www.pwv.org/trails/rawah-wild...amp-lake-trail

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by deekaygee View Post
    Edit: If you're looking for more research resources for that area, this site is my go-to: http://www.pwv.org/trails/rawah-wild...amp-lake-trail
    Great info! thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbamancub13 View Post
    Oh yeah, for sure. I have been up there many times as I'm in Fort Collins and almost anything in Roosevelt NF is going to cater to hammocking. I've hung on rocks in the boulder fields in a pinch, so I wouldn't worry much about being able to hang there. Weather has altered that trail pretty significantly and there are sections that have been altered a bit to fix some some damage but it's mostly remained the same and you shouldn't have any problems.

Happy Hiking!
    Good to know. Thanks.

Hammock
    Serac to start. Now a Kammock
    A couple of things come to mind for your outing.
    First and foremost be prepared for possible thunderstorms AND lightning up in N. Colorado or any Colorado mountain areas. Rule of thumb here is get high up early but leave by noon. Always keep an eye on the sky. Clouds can form quickly and pretty dark. Before you know it, it's rumbling and crackling.

I haven't been up there yet but after doing a quick search I see a nice cluster of lakes with my name all over them!! LOL!!
    From the looks of things, you're going to be in a nice valley at the base of a nice mountain range. Heck, if anything just enjoy the lakes during the day and drop down to treeline for camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast