DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

Where are 2" tree straps required?

It looks like Florida State Parks no longer requires 2" wide tree straps https://www.floridastateparks.org/th...now/park-rules. That was the jurisdiction I always saw referenced when the 1" vs. 2" discussion came up. Are there other agencies that require 2" straps? Is there a running list somewhere on the forum?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You have a good eye for details! I wasn't aware of the change and I live in Florida (although I avoid the crowds at State Parks).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    "•Hammock use and any other associated lines may be attached to trees that are minimum of 12 inches in diameter measured at chest height and using a minimum of 1 inch wide flat web straps. Some parks may provide hammock posts instead of trees."

So I assume this means that you also have to use huggers/straps for your tarp lines also, right?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Where are 2" tree straps required?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyII View Post
    "•Hammock use and any other associated lines may be attached to trees that are minimum of 12 inches in diameter measured at chest height and using a minimum of 1 inch wide flat web straps. Some parks may provide hammock posts instead of trees."

So I assume this means that you also have to use huggers/straps for your tarp lines also, right?
    If a strap is required for a separate tarp attachment--You can use two continuous loops, sized 6 to 8 inches (12 to 16 inches circumference) made with zing-it. Hang hammock straps on trees, prusik loops onto straps an inch from tree. Then attach tarp suspension to continuos loops. Once tarp is staked, attach hammock to straps. Continuous loops may be spliced or tied with a secure knot--alpine butterfly loop or double fishermans knot or figure eight knot.
    Or instead, you can hang tree straps, tie a marlin spike hitch in strap an inch from tree and secure with a smooth toggle or excess strap can be folded back and forth to use as toggle. Attach tarp suspension line above marlin spike hitch (between MSH and tree) on tree strap, using a knot that will encircle strap and cinch tightly around strap--like a Siberian hitch. This will help keep suspension from slipping past MSH. After tarp is staked, attach hammock to tree straps.
    These first two ways have no tarp height adjustability, this might be ok with larger tarps, but not ok with smaller tarps.
    Here is a third way to skin the cat--that will be ok for smaller tarps--giving tarp ridgeline height adjustability.
    Hang straps on trees, here long straps are needed. Pull strap straight down tree to desired tarp height, wrap excess strap around tree using either a half hitch or better a clove hitch around tree. Attach tarp suspension to end of tree strap.
    This way you can suspend tarp at height you would have done under ordinary set up.

There is a fourth way--use any of the single line suspensions--including my latest and favorite--Kokomo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 04-27-2017 at 23:01.

• + New Posts